cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell towers settings

IgorP
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

My phone is constantly switching between 3 cell towers at work (I used the Netmonitor app). Because of this, I have a very slow internet speed and a battery drain issue. Where should I write to solve this problem?

18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@IgorP : Was your data somehow working before? What were those settings before, if you remember? You seemed to have been saying that your services were fine everywhere except at work. Which is why the replies were in that direction.

IgorP

This is what I changed:

• Name: Public Mobile
• APN: sp.mb.com
• MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
• MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
• MMS port: 80
• MCC: 302
• MNC: 220

The rest of the fields were added automatically after I clicked the save button

@IgorP   Which exact line on the APN that you need to update and fixed the issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@IgorP wrote:

Manipulations with the sim card did not help. Changing APN settings helped!!! Now internet is flying. Thanks everyone for the help.

@IgorP 

i'm glad to hear that your service is working fine,

enjoy it your service...and Good Luck.

IgorP

Manipulations with the sim card did not help. Changing APN settings helped!!! Now internet is flying. Thanks everyone for the help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@IgorP wrote:

I'm in ON. Pnone is locked to WCDMA only (Samsung version of G3 only).The phone works without problems everywhere, except workplace.

@IgorP 

maybe area issue at your workplace..

@IgorP   I think you can open a ticket with PM and see if they can confirm some recent changes to the towers around the area, or maybe they will tell you they are aware of it and fixing it now  🙂

Of course, tower issue like this, no guarantee they will actually fix it.  Or they might see performance issue but it might not be on top of their list.  Plus, it's a Bell tower, they might not have too much say

Anonymous
Not applicable

@IgorP 

you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and do again Rebooting your phone,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

can you do reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  Here link,

and go Changing APN Settings On Android device

click Here link,

and do again Rebooting your phone,

and that your issue is new and do you can test your SIM card in another device,

and if still not fix it if you like to do Factory Reset, maybe is will help visit Here link, for more info.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hTideGnow wrote:

Shouldn't be MB.. OP can use 3G Only.

@hTideGnow : As I understand it, the MB thing is that the towers have been re-configured that limited the 3G to one frequency.

Edit: now moot 🙂

Edit again: @IgorP : So did you ask around that workplace for others on those networks I mentioned? Also, this is not an APN issue as mentioned below.

Edit yet again: Well colour me all kinds of wrong. I had not gathered that this was a data issue.

IgorP

I'm in ON. Pnone is locked to WCDMA only (Samsung version of G3 only).The phone works without problems everywhere, except workplace.

@t_p wrote:

Have you tried locking it on PM only instead of Automatic (in Network providers)?

Locking to PM shouldn't work.  OP is bouncing between network towers, not networks.  This trick is usually for roaming and for people at border cities

Shouldn't be MB.. OP can use 3G Only.

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@IgorP wrote:

Hi,

My phone is constantly switching between 3 cell towers at work (I used the Netmonitor app). Because of this, I have a very slow internet speed and a battery drain issue. Where should I write to solve this problem?

Have you tried locking it on PM only instead of Automatic (in Network providers)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@IgorP : What about others in that location? People on Telus/Koodo/PM or Bell/Virgin/Lucky? I don't suppose you're in MB?

IgorP

I don't think you can lock to a specific tower, at least there is no such setting on Samsung A50.

The phone works without problems everywhere, except workplace. All this happened about 2 months ago. My first guess is Bell changed the setting of the towers or added a new one in my area.

I don't mind buying a new phone, but if that doesn't solve the problem...

@IgorP  and you are bouncing between 3 towers still after locking to 3G only?

But  I don't think you want to lock to a single tower even it is doable.  You will have to "unlock" it when you are out of your current spot

Did you try another phone?  Maybe it is a device issue.   With another phone with a better antenna, maybe it will get a strong signal to one of those 3 towers

IgorP

Yes I did. It is locked to WCDMA only.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@IgorP    did you try to lock the network  to 3G Only or 4G Only ?  

Need Help? Let's chat.