cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell phone coverage is in mb

Keimj
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello I keep getting text and voice calls about public mobile services not working in mb because of network change coming 

mid this a scam or is there changes coming 

that will make the service not work as well 

12 REPLIES 12

@will13am 

Correct me if I am wrong here....but up until March 16th telus used to share service with bell. So if your local tower with the 850mhz band was what you used for calling and you no longer have access to it after that date and you now have nearly non existent signal because the next nearest cell tower which you can possibly connect to only has the 1900mhz band and is 50km closer to Winnipeg that would likely be why you are having a major issue with sending/recieving phone calls. But don't believe me....let @sheytoon decide if orange is the new red herring....I mean apple.

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am 

Yes it is 100km outside of Winnipeg but the issue started to occur on March 16th. What else changed on that date that would affect calling in Manitoba? 2+2 does normally =4.

It is still an unverified assumption.  If OP had details of his cell tower connections before and after, then we have a basis for discussion.  Having said that, from what I know the Telus' network in Manitoba back in the day (pre MTS takeover by Bell), it was complete garbage.  Heading east on highway 1 toward Steinbach, the signal would be lost before highway 12 junction and there would be no coverage until the Ontario border.  

Are you saying that it was like Wind? That's pretty bad.

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am 

Yes it is 100km outside of Winnipeg but the issue started to occur on March 16th. What else changed on that date that would affect calling in Manitoba? 2+2 does normally =4.

It is still an unverified assumption.  If OP had details of his cell tower connections before and after, then we have a basis for discussion.  Having said that, from what I know the Telus' network in Manitoba back in the day (pre MTS takeover by Bell), it was complete garbage.  Heading east on highway 1 toward Steinbach, the signal would be lost before highway 12 junction and there would be no coverage until the Ontario border.  

@will13am 

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am 

The OP of this thread would not agree with you.....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Local-Telus-Cellular-Service/td-p/...

Huh?  This particular thread relates to network changes affecting Winnipeg/Brandon.  The thread you linked is for service well outside of Winnipeg.  Apples and oranges my friend.  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is much ado about nothing.  All my contacts in Winnipeg have experienced no material change in cellular performance.  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

If you are affected or feel that you are affected the only real option is to switch to Koodo or Telus, or one of the other non Telus brands.  If in affected.

Telus prepaid customers are unable to access VoLTE services 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Key is check the usual area you go - work & home & other usual hangout places.  If you don't see any difference, you can still make calls and receive  and data all  working as usual, then it doesn't affect you 🙂

Keimj
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Using an iPhone 6s ,7 and 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Keimj : There is truth that Telus is changing their systems in Winnipeg and Brandon. What exact make/model/submodel phone do you have?

Edit: The above is a better answer.

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@Keimj there were changes made on March 16 affecting Winnipeg and Brandon.  If your Public Mobile service is still good, then you are not affected.

Read this https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Text-From-PM-About-Changes-To-Mani...

Ignore those calls.

RosieR

Need Help? Let's chat.