cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrier issues

kyledouglas
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i have a account with public mobile, on my samsung s7 edge. it broke, so i am trying to put my sim into my iphone 6, and its carrier is apparantly public mobile 36.0.1 yet the iphone is saying its not supported sim and i need to contact my carrier. what is going on? can public mobile unlock the phone and help? 

Model: Iphone 6

Software version: 12.4.5

HELP!

It says carrier is public mobile and my sim is too, so why would i need to unlock it? thanks

38 REPLIES 38

@kyledouglas 

Great! Issue solved.

If you used a referral code for a$10 signup bonus it will be credited within 72 hours.

Welcome to Public Mobile 🙂

kyledouglas

Rogers unlocked it ! thanks everyone for the support! 

@kyledouglas  great to hear. Call Rogers up so they can send the unlock to your phone .once they send it..reboot phone and see if it works..if it does not..plug it into iTunes so it can finalize the unlock.

Let us know!

kyledouglas

@Jb456so apple now says i need to call rogers they are the carrier. thanks guys i found an end in sight

@kyledouglas 

If you want send me your IMEI number via private message and I'll look at the sites to find who it's locked to.

On your phone dial *#06# for the IMEI number

It should also be on the back of your phone maybe.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kyledouglas wrote:

So i got off the phone with apple and they had me transfered to one of the senior operators, i was told the carrier is public mobile so i must contact them to get it unlock then gave me a contact phone number which was the automated self serve line. So is there anyone that can unlock me from Public mobile so i can fix this?

No. I doubt this phone was originally purchased through Public Mobile back when they sold phones. If it had been then they could. Can you ask your brother where he got it? Maybe check devicecheck.ca to see if there are any other issues with it.

kyledouglas

So i got off the phone with apple and they had me transfered to one of the senior operators, i was told the carrier is public mobile so i must contact them to get it unlock then gave me a contact phone number which was the automated self serve line. So is there anyone that can unlock me from Public mobile so i can fix this?

@geopublic 

@kb_mv

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@kyledouglas 

Before when you had the IMEI posted prior to editing I tried it on a few sites however each site said it was an invalid IMEI. Maybe you wrote it wrong. 

Regardless double check the IMEI and Google "iPhone IMEI check" or "IMEI iphone lock check"

There are all kinds of sites that give you information about the phone by searching the IMEI number.

Some of these sites will tell you what provider it is locked to.

Be sure you use the free search features don't pay.

@geopublic @computergeek541  thanks guys I'm aware how iPhones get unlocked. Sorry if my wording was not right by saying " unlock code". Simply meant that they have to contact the original provider.

@kyledouglas try this to see the carrier locked to.

• Open the Settings app on the iPhone and choose ‘General’ and then go to “About"
  • Scroll down to find the following two items in the list, these may be different:

Network: This is the currently active network if one is available – this is not necessarily what the device will be locked to however, it’s only what cell network it is actively connected to – this will show as blank if there is no active network or no SIM card

Carrier: This is what you’re looking for to show you what network the iPhone last used, and in most cases, what network the iPhone is actually locked to. Carrier will also show the carrier settings version, sometimes carrier updates arrive separately from the general iOS software version to enable certain functionality

@kyledouglas wrote:

hmm, i dont have that info, my brother got it second hand then sold it to me. so looks like phone repair shop to unlock would be best bet?

@kyledouglas  Maybe try calling Apple and ask them if they will unlock it for you. Worth a try.🙂

@Jb456 wrote:

@kyledouglas 

The iPhone 6..where was it purchased? That's who you have to contact.

When the phone was first opened out of the brand new shiny box. Did it come from Bell, Rogers,etc. Whatever company is the people you have to contact for the Unlock code. 

iPhones do not use unlock codes. The provider needs to send a request to the Apple servers to get it unlocked.

kyledouglas

hmm, i dont have that info, my brother got it second hand then sold it to me. so looks like phone repair shop to unlock would be best bet?

@Jb456 wrote:

@kyledouglas 

When the phone was first opened out of the brand new shiny box. Did it come from Bell, Rogers,etc. Whatever company is the people you have to contact for the Unlock code. 

All iPhone unlocking is done remotely. There isn't any unlock code to be entered by the user.

@kyledouglas 

kyledouglas

@geopublic  it says public even if the sim isnt in it.

kyledouglas

im not sure where he got it, probably bought second hand from somebody. but alright a phone repair store can do it? awesome that helps since i have no idea what carrier it is locked to. im just confused as to why it says public mobile in that case as the carrier if it isnt. anyhow, if i can unlock it at a store then that is my solution i guess. just confusing sorry and thanks 🙂

@kyledouglas wrote:

@geopublicit says the carrier is public mobile, can you guys unlock it then?

@kyledouglas  The phone is not locked by Public. The only reason it says Public in the carrier settings is because you had Wi-Fi turned on and the PM sim card in the phone.

Again you iPhone is locked to another provider. You need to call that provider, give them the IMEI number of the iPhone and ask them to unlock it for you.

Try Apple @kyledouglas and try the iTunes while you wait for them.

@kyledouglas If your brother had the phone before you and experienced the same issues, the phone wasn't unlocked. Who did your brother get it from? Usually there is some sort of Network branding on older phones, outside or inside in some apps.

The phone, by the sounds of things has never been a Public Mobile phone, it is locked. If you can't find who provided the original service, you can take it to a cell repair store and they can probably unlock it for you.

Are you sure that your brother used this phone with public mobile or was he never able to?

kyledouglas

@kb_mv 

thats what is being miscommunicated. the last service provider that i know of is PM. so with that info being said anything else i can do ?

kyledouglas

I'm not sure what the last provider would be if it isn't public mobile. that's all it says and i bought this phone from my brother who is also with PM but had this issue As well. he just never inquired on it 

@geopublic 

can apple unlock it? cause at this point the only carrier i know it has or had is public mobile

@kyledouglas Contact the last service provider. They will do it for free. PM cannot unlock your phone nor can anyone on this forum.

kyledouglas

@geopublicit says the carrier is public mobile, can you guys unlock it then?

kyledouglas

how do i unlock it?

kyledouglas

i tried to do what was recommended through itunes and got this message ?

The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information.

@kyledouglas wrote:

wouldn't the carrier be public mobile? thats what the phone says. so ill get it unlocked and follow the instructions through itunes, but why do i need to do this? doesnt make sense if the carrier is already PM.? thanks guys!

@kyledouglas  You just need to get it unlocked. No need for the iTunes procedure.

@kyledouglas who was the phones service provider before PM? If the phone has never been unlocked and it isn't Koodo or Telus, it won't work.

kyledouglas

wouldn't the carrier be public mobile? thats what the phone says. so ill get it unlocked and follow the instructions through itunes, but why do i need to do this? doesnt make sense if the carrier is already PM.? thanks guys!

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kyledouglas 

@kyledouglas wrote:

i have a account with public mobile, on my samsung s7 edge. it broke, so i am trying to put my sim into my iphone 6, and its carrier is apparantly public mobile 36.0.1 yet the iphone is saying its not supported sim and i need to contact my carrier. what is going on? can public mobile unlock the phone and help? 

Model: Iphone 6

Software version: 12.4.5

HELP!

It says carrier is public mobile and my sim is too, so why would i need to unlock it? thanks

there is tools online to check  IMEI the one you posted is incomplete its 15 digits long

Need Help? Let's chat.