cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Receive Calls from Landline Only

Inhinyero
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

Could you please help me figure out how to solve this problem?

I ported another number to PM today (used in an iPhone with latest iOS) and everything was working fine, except I can't receive calls from a landline. That is, I can text and receive texts, call and receive calls (but only if from a mobile number), and I can call landline numbers. I experienced this exact problem with my other PM number (used in an Android device with latest OS) and I was able to solve this via updating the "Carrier Service" App. Since iPhones do not have this (or at least I am not aware of it), how can I fix this annoying issue?

Please note that I already brought this up to the mods and I already did all the initial solutions they recommended from turning off and on the device (both Android and iPhone), to transferring the sim to another phone. I even tried putting the phone to Airplane Mode for a few minutes, but it still not working. I figured I will be able to receive a quicker response if I posted here.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

17 REPLIES 17

Inhinyero

Thanks @gblackma I'll keep this in mind.

Cheers!

@Inhinyero if its been that long I would contactt he moderators and ask them to fix your stuck port. Let's throw every possible solution at the problem. There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Once connected to Simon, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
- Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent.

- Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  When it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue. Stay safe. 

Inhinyero

@Inhinyero wrote:

thanks @Dunkman  and @gblackma 

I'll try this out as soon as I can. Will report back with any findings 🤞

Hi everyone, I appreciate all the recommended solutions you have posted.

First things first, I have not tried any of the solutions you have posted because my phone all of sudden was able to receive landline calls later last night (yay!). It seems like @geopublic and @Nezgar might be right that the porting of my number is not fully completed yet. I said "might be" because I was able to receive mobile phone calls from other network (e.g. Freedom). Therefore, I think the logical solution to my problem (regardless of the device) is just to wait. The waiting time is definitely not the typical 2 to 3 hour porting process, but could take half a day to fully utilize Public Mobile's network.

Again, thank you very much for all the help. This community rocks!

Indeed it sounds like the port has failed or is not complete. In the "transitionary state" if your "old" service still works, that's an indicator it hasn't completed yet. Also, calls from other Telus Mobility, Koodo, and Public Mobile phones will route to your "new" phone, but calls from landlines and other wireless carriers will go to the old service (ie Rogers, Bell, etc).

Please check with the moderators if your port had a problem, or if they are just still waiting for completion. If you were porting from a landline or VoIP service, it could take a week or more. From another wireless service usually it's very quick, less than an hour.

@Inhinyero 

to update your carrier settings:

Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings.

login to your self serve click the "plans and add-ons" tab and enable/disable lost/stolen mode to reset the sim network

lost_stolen.jpeg

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Inhinyero wrote:

Hi everyone,

I ported another number to PM today (used in an iPhone with latest iOS) and everything was working fine, except I can't receive calls from a landline. That is, I can text and receive texts, call and receive calls (but only if from a mobile number), and I can call landline numbers. I experienced this exact problem with my other PM number (used in an Android device with latest OS) and I was able to solve this via updating the "Carrier Service" App. Since iPhones do not have this (or at least I am not aware of it), how can I fix this annoying issue?

Please note that I already brought this up to the mods and I already did all the initial solutions they recommended from turning off and on the device (both Android and iPhone), to transferring the sim to another phone. I even tried putting the phone to Airplane Mode for a few minutes, but it still not working. I figured I will be able to receive a quicker response if I posted here.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

@Inhinyero  Are you sure that the port is 100% complete? If you are calling that number from your other PM account that would explain why you are able to receive that call. Have you been able to receive a call from another mobile number not on the Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile network? If not, then your port is stuck or hasn't completed yet. 

Inhinyero

thanks @Dunkman  and @gblackma 

I'll try this out as soon as I can. Will report back with any findings 🤞

@Inhinyero sync to iTunes
1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
2. Connect to computer with USB cable.
3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered, if not, go to step 6)
6. Disconnect and restart. From @luddite.

Couldn't hurt. Almost seems like it's the number. @LurganIeUk any suggestions? Thanks. 

@Inhinyero wrote:

@gblackmaIt seems like it, I can call landlines however using the ported number. So I am not sure what might be causing this. I think most likely it's a hardware/software issue since I was able to fix this problem in an Android device, but not in an iPhone.

@Inhinyero 

Maybe try a network reset on your iphone.

Update to the most current IOS

Inhinyero

@gblackmaIt seems like it, I can call landlines however using the ported number. So I am not sure what might be causing this. I think most likely it's a hardware/software issue since I was able to fix this problem in an Android device, but not in an iPhone.

@Inhinyero so its the old number that has the problem with landlines? Thanks. 

Inhinyero

Hi @gblackma, no, the ported number is quite old, I have been using it for a few years now.

@Inhinyero is the temporary number a new area code? I figure when the port is complete then your number will be okay. Stay safe. 

Inhinyero

Hi @popping I did tell the Mods how I was able to solve my problem in the Android device. I also ported an old number we have been using for a few years.

Edit* just grammar to clarify context and included the mention, still learning the ropes 🙂

Inhinyero

Hi @shep22

I don't think so. I asked my aunt to also call me via her landline and it is also not working. It just straight gives her the "not in service" message. But again, I am able to call her landline.

*Edit, included the mention, still learning the ropes 🙂

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Inhinyero 

You should report your finding to moderator for the original ticket.

Do you have a newer area code phone number?

If yes, some provider may not have the info for the new area code yet.  Ask the landline owner to call the provider to fix the problem.

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Inhinyero wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

@Inhinyero hi is it only one particular landline number what model iphone?

Need Help? Let's chat.