Did you mean: 

Cannot Call One Local Phone Number

Avy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the $25 per 30 days plan that includes: 

• - 500MB + 500MB at 3G Speed
  • - Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • - Unlimited International Text

Everything is fine except when I try and call my veterinarian which is a local number. I've double checked, and I've got the right phone number - area code with the 7 digits. 1 is not required as it is local. When I try to call my vet, I get an automated message that says something like, "Hi, Public Mobile here, talk is not included in you plan".  I have no problem with any other number I've called. 

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Avy : Many people put the 1 in all their contacts so as to not have to hear the legacy message if they go somewhere else where that "local" call would become "long distance".

I find sometimes with autocorrect suggestions that a space is added at the end. Maybe also there was a space in front.

Avy

Thank you all again.

I did delete the contact number, and re-entered it, and now it works. However, I did carefully check it before I deleted it, and there was nothing amiss. Must have been the hidden character thing. I had previously checked the contact number a few times. Wish I had thought of deleting it and entering it again - lesson learned. 

BTW, there was no "1" in front of the number, it was just the 10 digit number - just like all my other local contacts. 

Cheers everyone. 

lheintzman
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Sometimes a hidden character can get folded into the dialer info - - e.g.  a space at the end of the number. Erasing the contact completely and carefully reentering the data often fixes the problem permanently. 

@Avy it worked when dialing seperately? That shows that a small chance it wasn't saved correctly or phone is set to dial 1 before every number saved. If you save with a 1, it dials it twice causing an invalid number.

Avy

Yes, I have been using the contacts list. When I put in THE EXACT SAME NUMBER into the dialer, it worked. What???

Oh well, if I have to do that for just one number, I can live with that. 

Thanks to all who replied, especially from Iheintzman who found the issue. 

lheintzman
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Avy

If this is the only number you have a problem with and you're calling from a contacts list or web link, try entering the number into your dialer, one digit at a time. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Avy : Can you try it using another phone?

@Avy wrote:

I have the $25 per 30 days plan that includes: 

• - 500MB + 500MB at 3G Speed
  • - Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • - Unlimited International Text

Everything is fine except when I try and call my veterinarian which is a local number. I've double checked, and I've got the right phone number - area code with the 7 digits. 1 is not required as it is local. When I try to call my vet, I get an automated message that says something like, "Hi, Public Mobile here, talk is not included in you plan".  I have no problem with any other number I've called. 

1 before shouldn't ever be required to call a number in Canada but try it anyway.  Stramger things have happened before at Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.