cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send or receive MMS

Ramshackal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I recently switched to Public Mobile and can't get MMS to send or receive. I'm using a ZTE Axon 7 phone. I can SMS and use 4G LTE data with no problem but the MMS does not work.

Does anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? It seems odd for SMS and data to work but not MMS. I have included screenshots of my APN settings to this post. 

MMS1.jpg

MMS2.jpg

MMS3.jpg

41 REPLIES 41

zeedjz

My apn is set correctly. My data is on.  I can receive pictures in my texts. But when I am sending them it gets stuck on sending for long time.  Somebody told me that my file is too big that is why it is getting stuck. Does anyone know the size limit of files allowed to attach in texts

Auj
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Pretty cool! I changed my apn and "voila" I can now send and receive picture messages! Hooray! 

RobM

@Ramshackal wrote:

Mary found the solution for me. I added another APN and now it seems to work.

I added the following APN to get it to work:

Name: CA - Public Mobile MMS

APN: sp.mb.com

Authentication Type: PAP

APN Type: mms

Thank you @Ramshackal and @Mary_M !! Setting up the "CA - Public Mobile MMS" APN and turning on data (even though I'm not using a data plan) worked for me too. Recently added my wife to PM, using a Nexus 4. This phone isn't listed in the reference APN list of phones so I was flying blind trying to figure out why I couldn't send or receive MMS.

As an aside, there was reference throughout this topic about resetting the network. I was never able to figure out how to do that on a Nexus 4. On my Oneplus phone it's simple, but couldn't find a similar thing in the Nexus menus.

jumpstart

I had this same issue and this worked for me !! Thanks so much !

anthony1987

Have you recently activated with Public Mobile? I'd check the APN and make sure everything is good. Had similar issue not too long ago when I first signed up. 

The APN settings you need are here .. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/samsung-galaxy-j1%3famp=1

ricksherlock60

Running I am running a Samsung j16 and I am having the same problems I cannot receive MMS messages and I cannot send text messages I just reset all of my Ford protocols and it's still not working what am I missing

Deon78

I have a asus zenfone 3 I have data I can receive pictures but I cant send them out the APN is correct anyone know the problem.could be?

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @Chowwder2000,

thank you for reaching out to us !

If your current carrier is Public Mobile, please feel free to send us a private message including your account details. We'll be more than happy to help 🙂

If you are with another carrier, you will need to reach out to them for any account/service related issue as we do not have access to that.

Let us know if you need help!

cheers,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Chowwder2000

I need help of receiving and sending MMS messages through my carrier. It's a lifeline wireless and I'm using it with a Xiaomi Mi Mix 2. Can you help me?

You shouldn't actually need 2 APNs. You can combine multiple APN types into one profile.

Even without a data plan, APN with type = mms is required, and data must be enabled in order for MMS to work.

donaldblair

The additional APN worked for me, as well. 

This seems to be a hugely important piece of information to publish. 

Can someone confirm if the additional APN is required for users who do not subscribe to a mobile data package? I'm wondering if that's why this problem exists and the second APN is required?

RCS

Mary found the solution for me too.

I have an Zenfone 3 Max, ASUS_X008DC android version 7

I got the phone in august & I couldnt recieve or send mms. 

I added the following APN to get it to work:

Name: CA - Public Mobile MMS

APN: sp.mb.com

Authentication Type: PAP

APN Type: mms

Awesome. Thanks

This is twice now that the public mobile forum has helped me get my phone working properly.

Russell
Last year I solved the APN problem with mary's solution. My settings have not changed but this weekend when I tried to send a picture. It said "service not activated on network." I have restarted my phone. I have reinstalled the apn and reinstalled and restarted. It does not let me send pictures. Help please

MMS works on cellular data only. Wi-Fi will not help.

gman0311

Based on your wondering I took my phone off Wifi and was able to send pics just fine after that. Obviously not the most desireable fix but I don't send a whole lot of pics.

StandingWaves

Cant get MMS to work on my Axon 7.  I thought it was working before, but I wonder if I was on WIFI everytime I received MMS in the past.

Tried this solution posted.  Anyone have any other ideas?

Ramshackal

No problem, glad it worked for you too. It's a great phone by the way!

Once again if a mod sees this can you please add Axon 7 to the topic title? I cannot edit it.

vicpch

just got my Axon 7 on Friday and just tried to send MMS and failed.  did a search and found this thread and it fixed the problem.

thanks.

dog300
Yes! You are smart. 🙂 The APN type is the key. I adjusted my settings on my Axon 7 and combined the standard setting with the recommend setting from this topic, along with changing the type t "default,mms" as you suggest, and it works! Only one APN needed! Makes sense and works! Nice.

winjer

I just ported from Bell yesterday using an HTC M8 and was having the same problem. I tried adding the extra APN and it didn't work. I selected Reset to Default and then also overwrote the existing Telus APN. This seemed to fix the issue with send/receive. I was able to delete the other Telus entry without any problems. 

I think the issue is due to the "APN type" entry. If edit your existing APN and enter "default,mms" you should be able to use a single APN for both data and MMS.  

crzycatldy
Solution was to overwrite the existing Telus APN with the public mobile data as the two could not exist in parallel and system would not allow me to delete Telus APN. But working now.

dog300

I'm no expert. If the 2nd APN doesn't fix the issue, the only thing I can suggest is to remove it and verify that all your settings in your primary APN are setup exaclty as shown here: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-setup-data-and-APN-on-my-Andr...

The other phones I've helped people with were a MOTO G, OnePlus 2, and an iPhone 5; they all worked appropriately with the single APN. My ZTE Axon 7 was the only one that required the separate APN.

crzycatldy
I have an UMI super that was experiencing the same problem. I established the second APN as described above, and it was not successful. I know it's a configuration setting because the number was just ported from bell and had used MMS many times without issue in the past. I have also tested the phone by swapping g out the sim with a Telus aim for an active account. And the MMS worked flawlessly under Telus. So I am convinced it is an APN setting issue, but not sure which one. Any ideas?

dog300
Yes, this needs to be a separate APN definition. The standard Public Mobile (non-MMS) APN should be selected as the in-service APN.

crzycatldy
So is this separate APN required in addition to a standard APN for public mobile. And after both are established, which should be selected as the in service APN?

dog300
I spoke a little too soon. The separate APN is actually required as the instructions above indicate. (My test with the settings combined worked because I was on WiFi at the time. Doh.)

The solution is good as described. I'm a happy Public Mobile camper.

Ramshackal
Glad it worked for you too, thanks for the info.

If a mod can add Axon 7 to the title of this thread that would be great. Might help more people find this. (I don't see an option to edit that on Mobile.)

dog300
Thank you! I have a ZTE Axon 7 and was having the same problem. I setup a new APN as described above and it fixed the problem.

For your reference, you do not need a new APN. I. Also deleted the new APN and set the fields above in my existing Public Mobile APN. It also fixed the problem.

I think these fields.shoukd be added to the APN setup instructions.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I only give credit where it's due, @Mary_M!  You and @Shazia_K have had your hands very full the past few weeks and have been awesome at dealing with the increased volume.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Stop it, you're making me blush 🙂 @srlawren

Welcome to PM @Ramshackal I'm glad that we got everything sorted out for you!

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **
Need Help? Let's chat.