cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send emails from personal account

norvick
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a personal email address that I use through a domain that I own. I can't send emails due to SMTP timeout errors when I'm not on WiFi. I noticed that PM is giving me ip addresses that are blocklisted (spamhaus.org). Can I get a clean ip address?

21 REPLIES 21

@norvick wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@norvick wrote:

@geopublic 

I spent some time with rebel support and all my settings are correct. They escalated it. 

@norvick 

If you have a laptop turn on the hotspot on your mobile device and connect to it using your laptop then test sending out an email from your laptop. If it works then it's a configuration issue with your email on the device. Go into apps and settings clear cache and delete data restart your device and then reconfigure your IMAP settings to see if it makes a difference.

@geopublic 

Thanks for the idea. I tried this and I can't send email from my account. Sending Error: "The connection to the server was interrupted"

Is this evidence that it's a rebel.com problem?

@norvick  Yes, I agree hopefully they resolve it soon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@norvick 

Did this work using cell data of a previous cell provider?

Another thing that might give you a different ip address (just in case) is to turn on airplane mode. Give it a few minutes, then turn it off. It might pick up a different ip address.

Are you mixing secure access as opposed to standard access? Didn't you say port 25 earlier? That's standard access.

norvick

@geopublic wrote:

@norvick wrote:

@geopublic 

I spent some time with rebel support and all my settings are correct. They escalated it. 

@norvick 

If you have a laptop turn on the hotspot on your mobile device and connect to it using your laptop then test sending out an email from your laptop. If it works then it's a configuration issue with your email on the device. Go into apps and settings clear cache and delete data restart your device and then reconfigure your IMAP settings to see if it makes a difference.

@geopublic 

Thanks for the idea. I tried this and I can't send email from my account. Sending Error: "The connection to the server was interrupted"

Is this evidence that it's a rebel.com problem?

norvick

@LurganIeUk wrote:

On an iPhone when you turn data on or even view the setting. You can scroll down and can turn on/off apps to work with data. This helps control consumption of data. I assume other phones have similar settings??

Understood now. My apps have unrestricted data permission and no battery optimization.

@norvick wrote:

@geopublic 

@norvick 

norvick

BTW, thanks to all for the replies so far. I think it's probably a rebel.com problem and not necessarily PM or phone.

norvick

@geopublic 

@norvick wrote:

gmail, outlook work fine. But I can't connect to rebel's smtp. Confused.

@norvick  Check your IMAP settings again. SMTP timeouts usually mean a typo or incorrect settings.

https://www.rebel.com/email/smart-setup/

norvick

@gpixel I think you are correct. I was assigned a "clean" ip but I still can't send.

norvick

gmail, outlook work fine. But I can't connect to rebel's smtp. Confused.

@norvick this is from the spamhaus.org

A common misconception is that an email Sender whose IP address is listed on a DNSBL is 'blocked' from sending out email. In fact Senders are in no way prevented by DNSBLs from sending email. The Spamhaus DNSBLs are used only by receiving mail systems on private networks and are used voluntarily.

Spamhaus does not tell a 3rd-party mail system what to do with an item of email, the 3rd-party mail system asks Spamhaus for an opinion and Spamhaus responds to that request with its opinion. In effect the receiving mail server asks the Spamhaus DNSBL "Does this Sender's IP Address exist on the Spamhaus database?", the Spamhaus DNSBL simply responds with a "Yes" if present or, if not present does not respond at all (no response means "we have no opinion on that IP Address").

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@norvick  If you email server is hosted and not running in house then your IP does not matter. Check your configuration settings for outgoing emails on your app. 

https://www.rebel.com/email/smart-setup/

On an iPhone when you turn data on or even view the setting. You can scroll down and can turn on/off apps to work with data. This helps control consumption of data. I assume other phones have similar settings??

Anonymous
Not applicable

@norvick wrote:

Not sure exactly what you mean by "off". My email apps have full permission to use data, even while roaming.

Can you use (or not opposed to) a more open universal SMTP server? Say like googles? There are others.

norvick

Not sure exactly what you mean by "off". My email apps have full permission to use data, even while roaming.

By any chance is your email app set up to be OFF thus not available to be used when data is on?

norvick

domain server, rebel.com. I can send on home wifi and at coffee shop wifi.

norvick

IMAP, settings are correct.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@norvick wrote:

I have a personal email address that I use through a domain that I own. I can't send emails due to SMTP timeout errors when I'm not on WiFi. I noticed that PM is giving me ip addresses that are blocklisted (spamhaus.org). Can I get a clean ip address?

Cell data ip addresses will vary. It's DHCP.

Is your email server for your domain physically in-house? Or is it on the domain server?

Is it just your own wifi or will it work from like coffee shop wifis?

SMTP doesn't generally like email relaying. If it's in-house then have you opened ports to it from outside? Or is out on the DMZ?

Are you using POP or IMAP and are your SMTP settings correct?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @norvick ,

Maybe the Public Mobile moderators can help you?

To contact the Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1-Click the question mark on the bottom right hand side of your screen to talk to SIMon the chat bot.

esjliv_0-1602003284638.png

https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

OR

2-Contact the Moderator_Team via private message using this link.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.