cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive text

Lana
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anyone else in the Ottawa area not receiving their text?  I eventually was able to send one after shutting

off a couple times but incoming still not coming thru

13 REPLIES 13

@Lana wrote:

I think I realized why now just in case it happens to you again.  Both of us had used all out allotted data.  My phone was set to send all text SMS which requires the data I think.  Once I renewed this morning all was well!

@Lana 

Glad to hear that things are working fine. 

However, the reasoning behind why it is working is not correct.  SMS texts do not require data.  Some live chat (RCS Message - Android) and iMessage requires active data.  MMS messaging (picture texts) requires data to be turned on (does not use up data though).

You were also having incoming calls going to voice mail (ie. not able to receive calls) and that has nothing to do with data running out earlier.

There has been several customers in the last few days that were unable to receive texts or phone calls.  Some form of outage that has not been explained by PM yet. 

@Lana both SMS and MMS does not count toward your data limit .  But, it is good it is working now..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lana : I call this a drawback of iMessage or chat that require the internet (optionally). Internet iMessage only works between iOS devices so it's already limited. Just keep it on plain old SMS texting and it'll all work. 

Lana

I think I realized why now just in case it happens to you again.  Both of us had used all out allotted data.  My phone was set to send all text SMS which requires the data I think.  Once I renewed this morning all was well!

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Lana you may have already received a response or the service has been restored by now - but others have been able to workaround the issue by forcing the phone to 3G mode (disable LTE)

Lana

I also received a used data message.  When someone calls my phone it goes straight to voice mail.  When I shut down the phone, all incoming texts come in at once then seems that they are blocked again.  My renewal date is tomorrow so I should be good also.  I am putting a ticket in .. will let you know how it turns out

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lana 

check it out is issue Towers Map in your area...outages Here link, 

something maybe is help, do one thing Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

and do rebooting your phone take your SIM card out and waiting for a 2 minute and put it back and turn on -This one is quick and simple.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

@lins1216   Yes, it does  look like at outage earlier.  Glad everything is working now.

lins1216
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm good now aswell... received over 30 texts just now, and a voicemail. Too bad I missed all these throughout the day, but am glad to have it working for overnight now! Will be able to rest a bit easier. Hope your phone is now working aswell Lana!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Lana 

there was another post reported that they had no incoming calls and services this morning in Ottawa area too.. 

Re: Cannot receive calls - Community (publicmobile.ca)

But they are good now.  So, maybe there was an outage in the area.

lins1216
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Lana, 

Apologies this is happening to you! I am having the same issue, I ran out of minutes and data today (despite having some left over minutes and data from a holiday bonus, I received a notice that both were 95% used), then my texts stopped working, despite my plan having unlimited texts that don't require data. I also can't seem to receive calls. I can send texts, not sure if my outgoing calls are working.

I'm in Halifax and it's very frustrating! I know it's not a network issue as my husband is also on Public and is having none of the same issues. He is also in hospital, so without my phone working, there's no way the hospital can call me overnight if something happens! Very scary and frustrating situation to be in- definitely the last thing I needed to happen right now. 

I bought minute and data add-ons to see if that would work, but it did not. I tried all the things mentioned above, still no solution. My account says it's active and the SIM is correct, so I don't know. I have submitted a ticket, hopefully I hear soon. 

If you figure it out, please let me know! I really don't like that no one can call me right now with all going on....

Lana

Nope nothing worked.  Can also call out but straight to voice mail calling in

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Lana wrote:

Anyone else in the Ottawa area not receiving their text?  I eventually was able to send one after shutting

off a couple times but incoming still not coming thru

@Lana 

Was it working previously?

Are you android, if so, do you have CHAT FEATURES enabled? Try turning them off.

Turn chat features on or off
  1. On your device, open Messages .
  2. At the top right, tap More. Settings.
  3. Tap Chat features.
  4. Toggle "Enable chat features" on or off.

Other things to try:

*turn off your phone, leave off for a minutes, then reboot                                                            

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reset network settings

Need Help? Let's chat.