cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't place calls after porting number

gkelly
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'd been holding on to my old Freedom Mobile number as I evaluated Public Mobile and recently decided to go all-in on Public and port my number from Freedom to Public.  The port seemed to go fine, but I just discovered that while data, inbound calls, and inbound SMS work fine that I cannot place outgoing calls or send SMS messages.  SMS messages appear as "sent", the recipient just never gets them.  Calls that I try to place end immediately, never ringing or making any tones beyond the Android disconnect tone.  I've tried the SIM in both a Pixel and a Nexus 6 with the same results.  adb logs from the Pixel show what looks like the network disconnecting the call:

03-22 09:45:05.699  9488  9488 I Dialer  : CallList.onUpdateCall - [DialerCall_4, DIALING, [Capabilities: CAPABILITY_SUPPORT_HOLD CAPABILITY_MUTE CAPABILITY_CANNOT_DOWNGRADE_VIDEO_TO_AUDIO], [Properties:], children:[], parent:null, conferenceable:[], videoState:Audio Only, mSessionModificationState:0, VideoSettings:(CameraDir:-1)]
03-22 09:45:05.708  1059  1652 I Telecom : CallsManager: setCallState DIALING -> DISCONNECTED, call: [TC@8, DIALING, com.android.phone/com.android.services.telephony.TelephonyConnectionService, tel:***********, A, childs(0), has_parent(false), [Capabilities: CAPABILITY_SUPPORT_HOLD CAPABILITY_MUTE CAPABILITY_CANNOT_DOWNGRADE_VIDEO_TO_AUDIO], [Properties:]]: CSW.sDc@Cjk
03-22 09:45:05.708  1059  1652 I Telecom : Event: Call TC@8: SET_DISCONNECTED, disconnected set explicitly> DisconnectCause [ Code: (REMOTE) Label: () Description: () Reason: (Normal call clearing, NORMAL) Tone: (27) ]: CSW.sDc@Cjk

Has anyone else had this issue port-number-port?  Or maybe even just in general?

7 REPLIES 7

gkelly
Before I managed to contact the mods this issue resolved itself.

On Android phones, the inability to send text messages often has to do with an incorrect SMSC setting.  For whatever reason, opening a pre-existing message thread to one of your contacts and sending a message will often fail if don't first delete the entire conversation.  The speculation for that has to do with the phone trying to use the wrong SMSC as it is somehow set by whatever setting that was used when the message thread was first started.

The inability to place outgoing calls (but while being able to receive incoming calls) is almost certainly a network or account issue.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gkelly please connect with @Mary_M via private message and send her the info she requested, and she can look into this for you.  In this case I doubt it's related to the port, since that usually only affects inbound calls and texts, while your symptoms are opposite.  It's more likely to be an activation issue that Mary can hopefully correct quickly in the back end system.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

gkelly
Yep, I got the confirmation text:

Public Mobile here: Your transfer request has been completed successfully. Welcome to Public Mobile and thank you for joining us!

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @gkelly,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been able to make any calls after porting your number. Although a failed port typically includes the inability to receive calls/texts, I'll be more than happy to look into this 🙂 

Can you please send me the following, via private message?

- your SIM card number

- the phone# you are porting in

- account number associated to your old service provider.

Respectfully,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

Did you receive the text saying the port was complete?  You probably have a partial port, something a moderator can help you with.

@Shazia_K

Be sure to send a private message to the moderators as well.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

SUspect you will need moderator assistance. Send any one of them a private message ( @Mary_M for example) with your phone number and an explanation. Coverage is currently: Mon-Thursday 9am(EST) to 9pm(EST) and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(EST) to 5:30pm(EST).

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.