cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make local calls on plan with unlimited local calling

harmonkardon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

My wife is suddenly unable to make local calls with her phone today, she gets the following message:

"Sorry, could not complete your call. You don't have an active long distance add-on and this call is not covered by your plan."

Her account status shows as Active and she was able to place local calls yesterday. Her plan includes unlimited province wide calling. I have the exact same plan and have no issues placing local calls. She's on 90 day auto pay and last payment was a few weeks ago.

We've tried restarting her phone, no change. Any suggestions on how to resolve?

18 REPLIES 18

harmonkardon

Hi everyone. In the end we did need to open a ticket with the mods and it was escalated to higher level support who were able to eventually resolve the issue on their end.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@harmonkardon : If you have a payment card registered then you could try manually adding a dollar and restarting the phone.

harmonkardon

@Anonymous wrote:

@harmonkardon wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@harmonkardon : Is this for any and all same-province area code numbers? Or just one or so?

We've tested 4 different phone numbers with the same provincial area code and the same problem with all of them.

@harmonkardon 

And what about different same-province area codes? Or were those 4 "older" area codes? I ask because maybe the area code is new and hasn't fully gone through the phone system yet to know that it belongs to a particular province.

Those were 4 older area code phone numbers.

Interestingly, we tried swapping SIM cards and my SIM works fine in her phone but her SIM does not work in mine so the problem seems to follow the SIM (so either a problem with the account or the physical SIM card itself perhaps).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@harmonkardon wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@harmonkardon : Is this for any and all same-province area code numbers? Or just one or so?

We've tested 4 different phone numbers with the same provincial area code and the same problem with all of them.

@harmonkardon 

And what about different same-province area codes? Or were those 4 "older" area codes? I ask because maybe the area code is new and hasn't fully gone through the phone system yet to know that it belongs to a particular province.

harmonkardon

@Anonymous wrote:

harmonkardon

@hTideGnow wrote:

@lollipop  I think you need to open a ticket with Mod.  Have you open one yet?

Yes we've opened a ticket with the Mod team, thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lollipop  I think you need to open a ticket with Mod.  Have you open one yet?

lollipop
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Dunkman wrote:

@harmonkardon 

A few other things to try:

You can also insert your SIM card in her phone.  

Network reset of phone (this will reset your wifi passwords)

Remove SIM card, re-insert and reboot phone

Toggle airplane mode on, then off.

Tried all of these things and no luck, but thanks for the suggestions (on wife's account now).

harmonkardon

@benfatto wrote:

@harmonkardon  Can she call 611? If not check the SIM card in her phone to that registered in her account by clicking Change SIM. A mismatch means her account has been stolen and she should check bank/PayPal for fraudulent activity. 

Yes she can call 611 and the SIM card in her phone matches the one registered in her account.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@harmonkardon  Can she call 611? If not check the SIM card in her phone to that registered in her account by clicking Change SIM. A mismatch means her account has been stolen and she should check bank/PayPal for fraudulent activity. 

@harmonkardon 

A few other things to try:

You can also insert your SIM card in her phone.  

Network reset of phone (this will reset your wifi passwords)

Remove SIM card, re-insert and reboot phone

Toggle airplane mode on, then off.

harmonkardon

@Dunkman wrote:

@harmonkardon 

Does your wife text and data work?  Able to receive calls?  

Maybe try her SIM card in your phone.  To determine whether it is a hardware issue versus PM  service problem.  

Yes her cellular data is working, although it seems like SMS is not working. I'll keep testing that. 

Good idea re sim card, I'll give that a shot at some point too.

harmonkardon

@computergeek541 wrote:

@harmonkardon wrote:

I've tried every combination I can think of with the 1 and the area code. Strangely enough, it worked once by including the area code but not the 1, but then the next 10 attempts doing the same thing failed.

Are you in a location that only uses an area code? Dialing the area code has been standard  in much of the country for years.  Is it possible that a new area code has recently been introduced, possibly making the area code mandatory?  I know that's not the issue, but I'm just suprised that you werent' already including the area code for dialed numbers.   As you have tried numerous times and you've also tried you're phone, I believe it's time to open a ticket with the moderators by going to:  https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat

Sorry for the confusion. Yes we are in an area where the area code has been required for several years now and all the numbers stored in her phone are stored with the 1 and the area code. I was just randomly trying different things to see if I could change the outcome.

@harmonkardon 

Does your wife text and data work?  Able to receive calls?  

Maybe try her SIM card in your phone.  To determine whether it is a hardware issue versus PM  service problem.  

@harmonkardon wrote:

I've tried every combination I can think of with the 1 and the area code. Strangely enough, it worked once by including the area code but not the 1, but then the next 10 attempts doing the same thing failed.

Are you in a location that only uses an area code? Dialing the area code has been standard  in much of the country for years.  Is it possible that a new area code has recently been introduced, possibly making the area code mandatory?  I know that's not the issue, but I'm just suprised that you werent' already including the area code for dialed numbers.   As you have tried numerous times and you've also tried you're phone, I believe it's time to open a ticket with the moderators by going to:  https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat

harmonkardon

@harmonkardon wrote:

Hi all,

My wife is suddenly unable to make local calls with her phone today, she gets the following message:

"Sorry, could not complete your call. You don't have an active long distance add-on and this call is not covered by your plan."

Her account status shows as Active and she was able to place local calls yesterday. Her plan includes unlimited province wide calling. I have the exact same plan and have no issues placing local calls. She's on 90 day auto pay and last payment was a few weeks ago.

We've tried restarting her phone, no change. Any suggestions on how to resolve?

That shouldn't happen, but even if the call was long distance, it should still proceed after you hear a about a message that the "long distance charges may apply".  The message you're hearing is only supposed to happen if she's making a call to another province or if the number has been misdialed. I would have her try dialing a 1 before the area code and phone number.

Need Help? Let's chat.