cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to network

icysocks
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've been with public mobile for a little over a month or so. I switched from Koodo and ported my number and it was working fine up until the past few days... I've been unable to connect to the network so I can't make any phone calls or texts etc. I inserted my SIM card into my friend's phone and it worked fine. So I know it's not the SIM. When I manually look for a network provider and select public mobile it says "unable to connect. Try later." Automatically searching does not work, it keeps connecting to Telus. I have not changed any of my settings so I'm not sure why I'm having these issues all of a sudden. I've tried restarting my phone, reinserting my SIM card etc. I have a Samsung S7. What else can I do? Feeling super frustrated. Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18

@icysocks 

2 years is a longtime for a device to be blacklisted so its possible its an error. But it could have more to do with the account that the phone was originally registered on when first purchased as new. There was a case of a customer who bought his phone new from walmart. He had the original packaging, reciept and it was purchased with his credit card. He got a shared phone plan on his girlfriends account. Six months later they split up and he ports his number out to pm. Three weeks in and he finds out his phone got blacklisted. The ex reported it as stolen with the provider and despite showing he had legally bought the phone brand new the provider considered the account holder the owner of the phone.

@icysocks wrote:

I bought this phone second hand almost two years ago.

If this is supposedly the issue, why does my IMEI number show up as clean when I search it? Versus moderator saying it's been blacklisted. I used Device Check Canada.

There can be about a 48 hour delay in the database at devicheck.ca.  An IMEI coming up as clean on that website does not mean that the IMEI isn't already being blocked. Also, carriers sometimes block the IMEI of a device but only for that specific network.

icysocks

I bought this phone second hand almost two years ago.

If this is supposedly the issue, why does my IMEI number show up as clean when I search it? Versus moderator saying it's been blacklisted. I used Device Check Canada.

@icysocks  Yes, I think you should check with Koodo.  Usually the blacklist has nothing to do with whether you account was in good standing or not.  I would assume maybe they mixed up the IMEI for some reason and blacklisted the wrong one??

The other thing, how did you get this phone in the beginning?  First hand from Koodo directly? or you buy it off some private sell?

icysocks

I received a message from a moderator. They said the number has been blacklisted and to check with the previous carrier and that they are not the ones who black listed it.

When I check my IEMI number online it says it's clean. I've had this phone at least 2 years and only switched to Public Mobile from Koodo about 6 weeks ago or so. My account with Koodo was left in good standing as well.

Should I be contacting Koodo now? Is it possible the moderator is mistaken? Like I said, why is it when I check the number that it comes up clean versus what they can see on their end? It's never been reported missing.

Since you said your friends SIM also does not work in your phone, I also suspect your phone may have been reported as blacklisted. Theres some sites to check your IMEI, maybe someone here has links handy?

@icysocks is it possible your phone has been reported as stolen / blacklisted?

@icysocks 

Samsung S7 phones have been known to have a "roomy" sim card tray. Try using a paper shim or a little bit of carefully placed tape to secure a snug fit of your sim card in the sim card slot. See if this helps you to get connected and maintain that connection.

sound like a phone issue,  I also think factory reset is your only option. 

if your phone is unlocked, also try SIM from another provider to confirm if the phone can work there.   if also fail, then certainly is phone issue.

@icysocks the fact that your SIM works in your friend's phone, and all the services work in her phone (calling/texting/data)? Then that is a good sign about your SIM and account.

Now the phone?

If the resetting of your network settings didn't do anything.

Maybe a Factory Reset next? Things should be backed up first though.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@icysocks , is the phone trying to connect to the Telus network.  Are you able to check the APN settings to see what is available for selection?  It would seem like somehow the phone thinks the SIM card is from Telus and not Public Mobile.  If that is the case, a network or factory reset might be required to resolve the problem.  

icysocks

I've done that previously, it doesn't display anything.

icysocks

It's not a new phone. It's the one I had when I switched over. I've had it for over a year

@icysocks wrote:

I've done everything you've suggested and my friend is with Public as well. Her SIM wouldn't work in my phone either. I think it said something about it being unregistered and not allowed.

@icysocks is this a new phone to you? If so, maybe it is locked to the previous provider.

Contact your previous provider to unlock it for you.

You will need your imei number, dial *#06# to get it.

icysocks

I've done everything you've suggested and my friend is with Public as well. Her SIM wouldn't work in my phone either. I think it said something about it being unregistered and not allowed.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@icysocks  Reboot your phone with the SIM installed. What message, if any, does the phone display?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@icysocks wrote:

I've been with public mobile for a little over a month or so. I switched from Koodo and ported my number and it was working fine up until the past few days... I've been unable to connect to the network so I can't make any phone calls or texts etc. I inserted my SIM card into my friend's phone and it worked fine. So I know it's not the SIM. When I manually look for a network provider and select public mobile it says "unable to connect. Try later." Automatically searching does not work, it keeps connecting to Telus. I have not changed any of my settings so I'm not sure why I'm having these issues all of a sudden. I've tried restarting my phone, reinserting my SIM card etc. I have a Samsung S7. What else can I do? Feeling super frustrated. Thanks!

@icysocks  kudos to you to try your SIM in a friend's phone to rule out a SIM issue - smart! 🙂

Have you tried:

• toggling your phone into airplane mode for a few minutes then back to regular mode.
  • update your device to latest software
  • reset network settings

Do you know someone else who is on Public Mobile network that you could try their SIM in your phone?

Check APN settings:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone

Need Help? Let's chat.