cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to LTE Suddently

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

Hello everyone.

So just to make clear I just finished installing a new ROM on my Glaxy S5 and I was able to connect of a while to LTE and it was displaying it.

Now suddently the LTE sign disappeared and is replaced by an H+ sign (refering to 3G). 

I didnt move or change anything in between. 

And also now it is showing TELUS instead of Public Mobile. 

I checked APN setting and all of them are correct, 

Checked prefered network to GSM/WCMDA/LTE but nothing changed. I tried to change it to LTE only and connection was lost.

So now I am wondering... where is the problem ?

25 REPLIES 25

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Korth if this is in relation to my quesiton about how the OS was loaded, I'm not talking about sideloading APKs but rather the OS from the full image file.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Sideloading APKs is the only way to go!

Maybe because I always archive every version of every program I ever install onto anything.  So I can always rollback to a known-working-known-compatible thing after (re)discovering that newer is not always better.

srlawren

@maggiema weirdly, I updated from OxygenOS 3.2.1 to 4.0 tonight and don't seem to have this issue--the phone just instantly recognized the PM SIM card and connected as normal.  

Out of curiosity, were you previously on a stable build (3.1.x/3.2.x), or on a community build (3.5.x)?  Did you do an OTA update, or sideload via ADB, or factory wipe and then sideload?  I'm just curious.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Spector
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Ty this fixed my problem as well with Oneplus 3.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

So after 24 hours no problems, I am assuming that that was just a temporary problem that was combined with new software,

Could be that issue was fixed between some of few options that I made including clearing system cache, and reforcing the APN autodetect.

So now the connection is back same as before the new ROM except for the part that it is still showing TELUS as carrier.

I looked in the community but it didn't seem anyone had this Telus issue. So I might just "cheat" and modify the text Telus by Public Mobile (lol)

srlawren

@biggyk yes that's another change in the 4.0 version--rest assurred you're still connecting to the LTE network when it shows that.

If I had to guess, they did this to be more consistent with the LTE-A (LTE-Advanced) symbol, "4G+".  So previously it would alternate between "LTE" and "4G+", when going from LTE to LTE-A, and now it will alternate between "4G" and "4G+", which is clearer in that regard.  They probably didn't have room to change the "4G+" to "LTE-A" so they changed "LTE" to "4G".  

The whole "xG" marketing issue is so confusing, since some phones/networks call HSPA+ "4G", when it was really 3G or 3.5G at best.  So now when people see "4G" they think they're only on HSPA+ but that may not be the case, and isn't for the OP3/OP3T.  Confusing!!

biggyk
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Happened to me upgarding to Oxygen 4. I kinda hate that it shows 4G too but thats regardless of this thread.

moreilly
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Same thing on my Oneplus 3T. Updated to Oxygen OS4 (aka Nougat) and lost my apn settings. Re-entered them and all good now. Bit of a pain.

I know I can enter the APN manually, but why whould it delete the APN Settings and then not auto detect??

APN Settings, selected Carrier/Operator/Network, and other settings can be lost whenever the phone installs software or operating system updates, installs new firmware, is hard-reset or factory-reset.  Badly-written or misbehaving apps can also erase or override user settings, their background updates can do the same.  And "Auto" might work one day then break on another for no apparent (or comprehensible) reason.

It happens.  Maybe it wouldn't or shouldn't happen, maybe there's no explanation, but still it happens.

Understand that half the engineering that goes into a product is about making a better product, pushing efficiencies and capacities and new thresholds, making it better or faster or bigger or smaller or awesomer.

Understand that half the engineering that goes into a product is about improving the process of making a better product, pushing more quantity out the door, making it cheaper to build and easier to sell.

Today's smartphones are miraculous multi-faceted devices, pretty and powerful pocket computers with an astounding array of hardware and software capabilities.  They're also mass-produced cheap junk, and they work on a complex framework built from kludges layered upon kludges.  No different from any other computer or complex machine - expect problems, ignore drowning in the technical details and just focus on what works, there is no substitute for success.

fourthandvine

@maggiema wrote:

Hi, Stormfurx i had the same problem when i updated my oneplus 3 to oxygenOS 4.0.

To fix it i went to settings SIM & network, clicked on SIM 1 or 2 and went to access point names. 

In there you need to add public mobiles apn which is, 

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: Leave blank

Hope it works for you.

Ran in to this with my OP3 this morning; much awesome, so thanks!

hopetindall
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

FYI

on my OnePlus 3, when I upgraded to Oxygen 4 (Nougat) - the PM APN dissapeared.

I recreated it.

It now connects to LTE. But FYI - it now shows '4G' when connected to LTE whereas Oxygen 3 showed 'LTE'.

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Same here, happening in 3 Phones

- 2 OP3 after the upgrade the APN settings were deleted and are not automatically detected. ONLY for Public Mobile SIM.  Other SIM detects it okay.

- An Asus Phone started having this issue yesterday too, but IT WAS NOT UPDATED!

I know I can enter the APN manually, but why whould it delete the APN Settings and then not auto detect??

I was blaming the update I did on my OP3, but this is happening in other phones too...

JL

Rockdaddy22
I really don't think it's a network thing. Either way, I'm happy it's working:)

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

Update :

Happy new year to all of you.

I installed a monitoring app last night before sleeping and I left the data on, The new ROM did eventually connect to LTE and is still connected even now, while it is still showing TELUS as carrier.

So... Should I assume that it was a network problem?

hmassem

@maggiema wrote:

Hi, Stormfurx i had the same problem when i updated my oneplus 3 to oxygenOS 4.0.

To fix it i went to settings SIM & network, clicked on SIM 1 or 2 and went to access point names. 

Hope it works for you.

also have OP3 and this worked for me thx for posting 

srlawren

@will13am please note that @maggiema's post isn't aimed at the OP @zhadj030, but rather at @Stormfurx whom posted a different issue with his or her OnePlus 3 after updating to OxygenOS 4.0 and losing all data services.  It sounds like @maggiema's suggestion would likely resolve that.  

@maggiema wrote:

Hope it works for you.

It is unlikely OP has an APN issue.  If the APN is in error, there would be no data whatsoever. 

maggiema
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hope it works for you.

It is highly unlikely that congestion is causing a switch away from LTE.  There's many towers to choose from for load balancing unless you see located in the fringes with limited tower options.  I think you have a rom issue.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

So I have been watching the connectivity and it seems that it connects for a minute or 2 and then goes back to 3G again. is it possible there is a congestion in the towers?

Stormfurx

Well what could I do about it then? Like of all the people who updated in the OnePlus 3 forums it's only me that has this issue and I don't have great phone knowledge to know how to fix it...

Rockdaddy22
I don't think that could be the problem

@computergeek541

I am aware of the risks. 

As I mentionned I was connected to LTE for more then an hour already, it just stopped suddently, and it was displaying PM before TELUS in the new ROM. 

is it possible that the telus towers are getting overcrowded since I am Downtown for the 150 years celebratoin, and a lot of people are gathering around

@Stormfurx

Probably a ROM issue

zhadj030 wrote:

So just to make clear I just finished installing a new ROM on my Glaxy S5 and I was able to connect of a while to LTE and it was displaying it.

Now suddently the LTE sign disappeared and is replaced by an H+ sign (refering to 3G). 

I didnt move or change anything in between. 

And also now it is showing TELUS instead of Public Mobile. 

So now I am wondering... where is the problem ?

If LTE doesn't work, you're not going to have any choice but install a different ROM.  That is likely the root of your problems as you've already stated that everything was working fine until a new one was installed.  Unfotunately, custom roms are often buggy, sometimes even to the point that basic calling doesn't even work properly in some of them.  The software package that was installed could have had a different radio package bundled into it that could be causing the inability to use LTE.
As for your phone displaying "TELUS", that's completely a ROM thing, although it doesn't change anything other than the displayed network name.  I actually prefer if the ROM in a phone doesn't rename the networks accodring to the sim's instructions.

Stormfurx

Mine is even worse, I use OnePlus 3 and recently upgraded the OxygenOS to 4.0. Then all of a sudden my LTE/3G/H ALL disappear. It even says "unknown carrier" in sim settings and data settings. But I could still call or text people, and I don't know if it's the OS update itself that glitched it or actually my carrier's problem...

Need Help? Let's chat.