cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't call

Dash8fixer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We just got a new cell service in our town, provided by Bell. I have 4 bars, I can text and send data but can't call out or receive calls. Any ideas why not?

4 REPLIES 4

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Dash8fixer wrote:

We just got a new cell service in our town, provided by Bell. I have 4 bars, I can text and send data but can't call out or receive calls. Any ideas why not?

Public Mobile works with LTE for data and texting, but has to drop town to 3G HSPA/WCDMA for phone calls. If your brand new bell tower *only* offers LTE service, then you will not be able to make phone calls. Hopefully PM eventually supports VoLTE, but probably not anytime soon.

I have heard there are a few places like this now - ie White River, ON - Curious where else.

_Daniel_
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

it may just be a timing thing.  I know when I activated my new SIM, I checked out texting right away (basically testing that the APN settings of the SIM were used).  But it took a bit for my phone number porting to happen... my first successful test eventually was receiving a call... and then a bit later I could make a call as well.

hopefully it's not a frequency incompatibility between your cell phone/SIM and the tower... like benfatto suggested... HSPA versus LTE

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Dash8fixer  There was a report a few days ago of a new Bell tower with only LTE services. Hopefully, that's not your situation.

Try the TextNow app; you can make call/texts for no charge on wifi, or cellular data.

@Dash8fixer wrote:

While this isn't usually an option in the setttings menu of many phones, make sure that the phone isn't set to LTE-only mode. Public Mobile requires customers to use the HSPA network for phone calls.

Need Help? Let's chat.