cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't call toll free number - 6um1 error

tbread43
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Been trying to phone the toll free numbers for an airline that I need to contact, and keep getting the 6um1 number is not available on calling. I can phone long distance in Canada just fine and I even have international minutes for outgoing calls as well. I asked a friend to call the same toll free numbers and they also don't have any issues connecting with them, so I'm not sure what is wrong. In the past I've only had this issue when I forget to add the '1' in front of non-local numbers, but I'm using the toll-free number (1-866-XXX-XXXX) as it is and not sure why it isn't connecting. Adding an extra 1 in front also doesn't work.

10 REPLIES 10

@tbread43 

This is an intercept message that means the number you are calling is unable to accept calls at the moment. The numbers and letters in the message are coded for phone technicians to be able to recognize the problem and troubleshoot or repair it quickly without having to run diagnostics to identify the issue. There are many reasons for a caller to get this type of message from an unpaid phone bill to a lightning strike but the likely cause is the toll free number being overwhelmed by call volumes due to the second stage openings in several provinces today and the relaxation of travel restrictions domestically.

Its similar to the bc ferries reservation system crashing yesterday......if possible leave it a couple of days or the middle of the night or try a local non-toll free number for west jet.

from Fongo, 

The number you dialed was rejected by the service provider,  reason is : 480

@tbread43 wrote:

It's 1-866-720-0088, but all of Westjet's phone lines appear to be down.

Interesting.... Tried from a few different lines:

- public mobile - "6uc2 not in service"

- voip.ms - "not in service"

- voicemeup (VoIP, i think uses Bell upstream) - "not in service"

- SaskTel Mobility - "Not in service"

- TextNow - endless ringing

- BulkVS (VoIP provider, via USA) Works - "Our contact centre is currently experiencing higher than usual call volumes

- SaskTel landline - Works

Yes, you would be able to use PM to call Westjet.  

for WestJet, did you try 1-888-WESTJET  ?

tbread43

It's 1-866-720-0088, but all of Westjet's phone lines appear to be down. Checking twitter it appears everyone is having issues, and my same friend who called through earlier isn't able to now. We think their system is just getting overloaded. They cancelled a LOT of flights from what it seems, and now everyone is calling to cancel/switch flights. At least it's not a public mobile issue!

@Anonymous   , OP is trying to call a 1-866 number, I don't think 011 or leading zeros matter.

I am more curious what 1-866 number is that and would like to call myself and see

Anonymous
Not applicable

To get the obvious out of the way...you used +1 in front of the country code? Sometimes there are some extra leading zero's in country codes and "foreign" area codes. Maybe try not using leading zeros.

can you do try reseat the SIM card

1.power off your device

2.take out the SIM card,

3.wipe it clean,

4.put it back and power on,

5.toggling airplane mode off/on, 

Remove your phone’s battery - Some phones have removable batteries. Sometimes removing and reinserting the battery can fix certain issues. Just make sure your phone is off before you do this.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Good Luck

tbread43

It is Westjet - however, I just tried using my neighbour's phone with a different provider and they can't connect either so now I don't know, it is likely not an issue with PM like I initially thought. I don't know why my friend outside of the province is still able to connect while we can't though.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Try using wifi apps like Textnow, Skype,. Or Fongo.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Not All toll free number works in Canada.   Some numbers are designed for US use only 

May I know which airlines you are calling ?  What number is that?  Or did you already confirm you can call the same number from another provider like Bell, Rogers or Bell Landline/

Need Help? Let's chat.