cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access Data

brew
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

New PM customer. I am on a prepaid plan which has a 250 mb data included.

I am using an unlocked  Asus Zenfone Max Plus android phone with a second sim card which I use in the USA and I have no issue using data on this sim.

I have followed the instructions on setting up data- https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone     using all of...

Still have no access or indication that it is on a 3g network when I shut off my Wifi.

Can anyone help me out ?

25 REPLIES 25

vindicator

you wrote "make sure that you have the Public Mobile SIM set as the default mobile data SIM in addition to the APN settings already recommended." I have only the single PM SIM in my phone. Cannot see anything in Settings that shows how to set that SIM as the default. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

MEB1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Forget about it, I have used the information you provided two texts above and was able to fix the issue I had. Thank for posting it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MEB1 wrote:

I have the same issue. Which information above do you refer to when saying that you succeeded using it? 

When a thread has been marked as solved, the post that was chosen jumps to the top under the first question. This is usually an APN problem.

MEB1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the same issue. Which information above do you refer to when saying that you succeeded using it? 

brew

Thanks, I finally had success using the above info. Also when I reset the network the 4g turned on automatically.

So now all issues have been resolved. Still don't know why the " APN enable/disable" is grayed out, although I can add APN's -go figure!

Thanks again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@brew 

Yeah this is a problem that some, not all, carriers have. Alas Public Mobile is one of them.

What was the OS on there?

Korth mentioned using another SIM. We've heard of Roam Mobility, SpeakOut, Freedom maybe one or two others. Maybe a store might have a spent discarded one of those they might give you. Or to protect any abandoned private information...loan to you standing in front of them.

I still wonder about you trying the SIM in the other slot.

brew

thanks and these are now my settings below:

this is working now for MMS text with pictures 
 BUT still NO data/ internet 

settings
APN's
Public Mobile2

NAME  Public Mobile2
Proxy-not set
Port-not set
Username-not set
Password-not set
Server-not set
MMSC proxy -- 74.49.0.18
MMS port-- 80
MCC -- 220
Authentication type-not set
APN type -not set
APN protocol - IPv4
APN roaming protocol- IPv4
APN enable/disable -APN enabled (switch to enabled,,,,but grayed out,,,but set to right all grayed out and cannot move
Bearer - unspecified
MVNO type- none
MVNO value- not set,,,, but grayed out
I am at my wits end with this situation.
When I turn off my wireless network, I do not get any indication that I am on any public mobile 3g or anything.
This Asus phone was unlocked and I am able to add APN's, but this "APN enabled /disable being grayed out and unable to change value has me stumped.Don't know if this is a factor or not and I was unable to get into developer mode although phone says I have the ability

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@brew wrote:

APN enable/disable -slide on enable BUT option greyed out 

I think this is your problem (if your device runs an Android 8 or later). The other APN settings look correct, but the whole lot of them might be disabled (not in use).

Instead of adding a new APN, you might be able to select another existing APN (for any other network) and edit the setting fields to Public Mobile values.

Many people report that you can insert another SIM card (from any other carrier), then use their APN, then edit the APN to Public Mobile's settings, then save it, then reinsert the Public Mobile SIM card. I've never done it myself, but it seems like a good workaround.

The problem is that Public Mobile does not push APN Settings. The other half of the problem is that many consumer devices do not accept APN Settings which aren't pushed.

There are methods to fix this problem, but they involve rooting the device or moderately advanced technomagic. Details here if you really want to give them a go, although it's far more involved than getting MMS to work or doing hard reset.

Your next best solution is to change carrier or change phone. Or wait indefinitely in the hopes of somebody updating something so it automagically starts working as the manufacturers intended.

brew

did not work. no mms no internet

Anonymous
Not applicable

@brew wrote:

tried your suggestion- You could try 4D for MVNO value...or even try 4D4F.

did not work and after I could not send pic text!

Or try the SIM in the other slot. And re-read a post from will13am way back in this thread.

@brew 

Can you screenshot your APN settings?  

Sometimes the community forum members can pick up a small error/typo that will make the difference.  

You could also try your SIM card in another phone.  Just to rule out PM service issue.  It is still likely a hardware setup issue.  

brew

tried your suggestion- You could try 4D for MVNO value...or even try 4D4F.

did not work and after I could not send pic text!

@brew based on that, you have data. According to https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/asus-zenfone-max-plus-m1 these are your APN settings. 

APN settings:
Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: Not set      
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: Not set
MVNO value: Not set

Enter them and save. Enable data and try sending an mms message and surfing the internet. 

brew

checked self seve account info.

shows this:

250 MB at 3G speed 0.018  /  250 MB

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Try rebooting your phone.  What brand and model of phone do you have ?

brew

My APN settings are set as you show. Still no data. When I disable wifi., there is no indication of any 3g or 4g network .

Anonymous
Not applicable

@brew 

The APN line under name should be sp.mb.com

MMSC should have mb/ before mmsc at the end.

You could try 4D for MVNO value...or even try 4D4F.

@brew 

Is it possible that you used up your data already?  Check your self service account to see whether your see the 250 mb data counter in the Add on section in the overview page.  If you don't see tracker, that means that you ran out of data already.  

As for APN settings, you may want to screenshot  your settings.  

You could also try this website for APN settings for your phone:

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en

A few things to try with APN:

APN roaming protocol -IPv4APN

MVNO value: 4D4F

Maybe try network reset.  

brew

checked my APN and currently 

" APN type" reads default,mms,supl 

with the commas.

Is this wrong?

PS I had a lot of problems getting the text with pictures working, I finally got that to function, and I don't want to mess this up. Please don't ask me to do a factory reset

Also there are under " Cellular network settings"

data roaming- set to enable

Preferred networks- a long list that does not show any networks under Public , but plenty others. Also a option of adding " NEW PLMN" which asks for "Network ID and Network type

This is my APN that is enabled:

Public Mobile -sp.telus.com

name- Public Mobile

APN sb.mb.com

Proxy -not set

Port- not set

Username-not set

Password-not set

Server- not set

MMSC-http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mmsc

MMSC proxy- 74.49.0.18

MMS port-80

MCC- 302

MNC- 220

Authentication type- not set

APN type- default,mms,supl

APN protocol - IPv4

APN roaming protocol -IPv4APN 

APN enable/disable -slide on enable BUT option greyed out 

Bearer -unspecified

MVNO type- GID

MVNO value -not set

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Side note, you should choose lte as default network.

Can you reset network settings, it will not affect your files.

You may have to do factory reset if nothing will work.

One more thing that can be done is to ask moderators to push settings, you would have to give them your phone make model IMEI. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

@brew use these APN settings basically keep the one that you have now and add the highlighted 2. Stay safe. 

APN settings:
Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: Not set       
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: Not set
MVNO value: Not set

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@brew , make sure that you have the Public Mobile SIM set as the default mobile data SIM in addition to the APN settings already recommended.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@brew could you please post your APN settings so that we can take a look at them? Thanks. Welcome to PM. Stay safe. 

@brew Try adding an APN type of default,mms    (no space before or after the comma).

Barbie2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@brew 

I would check your network settings. See what they are set to. Also check to see if you are connecting to the Public Mobile network. 

You can also try taking out your SIM card after you turn your phone off. wait a little bit then put it back in. I have heard this from others that it works sometimes. 

And last thing, try resetting your phone to factory reset. Make sure to back up your files. 

Barbie ❤

Need Help? Let's chat.