cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer access internet via phone/plan

joeh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've had a 1GB (500MB+500MB) plan for almost a year now.  All has worked fine so far, but now with this last monthly plan payment, there is no more internet connection.  Phone calls and text messages come in/out normally, and I can browse the internet on the phone if connected to a wifi hotspot, but not via the regular PM 3G connection as I used to be able to.  At first I just assumed it was a system outage of sorts and just waited.  When it persisted after a few days, have been trying to troubleshoot it but at this point it seems to simply be on the PM side.  I've double-checked my plan status and payments, and all is in order: fully paid up and active, and there was no missed or late payment (which I know sometimes causes accounts to disable and not re-enable properly).  It's been driving me nuts for a couple of weeks now and at this point is becoming a concern - I do need internet when out, and can't rely on finding the odd available hotspot.  Not sure if there is some kind of system problem (my payment history shows one for early April...a credit and then debit listed as "system issue").  Can someone please help?

13 REPLIES 13

joeh

Well, problem solved, thank you to everyone for their help/suggestions.  

Oddly enough it is esjliv's suggestion that was the closest to the seeming solution, although to be honest I'm not 100% sure what "fixed" it.  The moderator had asked me about my versions of IOS (I have two phones that I have been using with PM).  After that, it gave me the idea to swap the SIMs between them.  When I put this one's into the other phone, oddly enough it seemed to browse fine initially, then abruptly gave me some SIM error.  I assumed it was some sort of restriction on PM's side, when it detects different hardware addresses or something (maybe for a day or so? dunno, just guessing).  Anyway then I put it back in the original phone, and after the handshaking with PM's systems, I tested the browsing again, and...it worked!  I was shocked, but happy at least to have the service back.  And it turned out that in the meantime, the moderator had sent me the same advice as esjliv...to reset the network settings.  (And to answer the question: no I haven't changed phones recently.)   So, what I think may be happening, is that the SIM-swap and alternate phone hardware addresses and handshaking, accomplished the same thing as resetting the network settings.  I'm not quite sure, just an educated guess.  But anyway I'm at least happy that the service is working again.  At the very least, I will add this little SIM-swap trick (or the network reset if I don't have a second phone) to my future troubleshooting, in case this happens again.

And, I will take it upon myself to mark esjliv's suggestion as the "solution", since it seems to have been the closest one although I'm not even certain what exactly solved this strange issue(!).  🙂   Nonetheless, thank you to all who helped/suggested...

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@joeh wrote:

Thank you for the quick replies/suggestions.  I've tried SIM removal/shutdown/reboot, no avail. 

And as for the plan data, yes that was one of the first things I checked.  The account shows active and fine, with 1024MB Data Limit, 103.7MB Used and 920.2 Available.  (Actually, since this issue only showed up as of the last plan renewal payment, the data couldn't genuinely have been used up since I haven't been able to use any.  In fact I'm not sure how it even shows over 100MB used, but...small concern at this point...)

@joeh ,

Try a RESET of your Network Settings on the device you are using.

Have you changed phones lately?

Can you try your SIM into another compatible Public Mobile phone to see if the data works then?

@joeh 

It sounds like your sim card needs to be reprivisoned/account reset by the moderators. Click on the chat bubble at the bottom right corner of your screen and type in account specific issue and human and follow the prompts to submit your ticket. Wait times are less than one hour. Keep an eye on your private message box for a response from the moderators.

joeh

Yes, I have checked APN (it's an iPhone).  Shows "sp.mb.com", as I believe it always did. 

joeh

I should also mention that I do have backup add-ons on my plan, for both data/talk, just in case of using up plan amounts.  In the case of Data, I have 2GB showing as valid, with none used to date.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@joeh wrote:

Thank you for the quick replies/suggestions.  I've tried SIM removal/shutdown/reboot, no avail. 

And as for the plan data, yes that was one of the first things I checked.  The account shows active and fine, with 1024MB Data Limit, 103.7MB Used and 920.2 Available.  (Actually, since this issue only showed up as of the last plan renewal payment, the data couldn't genuinely have been used up since I haven't been able to use any.  In fact I'm not sure how it even shows over 100MB used, but...small concern at this point...)

Have you checked your APN settings?

joeh

@joeh 

Do you check your account after renewal? Does your plan data show on your account? Did you use almost all or all of your data before renewal? Its possible your plan data did not reset. Check your usage....if this is possible contacting the moderators to reset it or possibly offer you a complimentary data add on/ credit if you are about to renew again.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Log into your self serve account and check under data and add-ons if no amount of data is showing then you have used it up.  You can purchase a 1GB add-on for $15.   If there is an amount showing then try rebooting your phone.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@joeh wrote:

I've had a 1GB (500MB+500MB) plan for almost a year now.  All has worked fine so far, but now with this last monthly plan payment, there is no more internet connection.  Phone calls and text messages come in/out normally, and I can browse the internet on the phone if connected to a wifi hotspot, but not via the regular PM 3G connection as I used to be able to.  At first I just assumed it was a system outage of sorts and just waited.  When it persisted after a few days, have been trying to troubleshoot it but at this point it seems to simply be on the PM side.  I've double-checked my plan status and payments, and all is in order: fully paid up and active, and there was no missed or late payment (which I know sometimes causes accounts to disable and not re-enable properly).  It's been driving me nuts for a couple of weeks now and at this point is becoming a concern - I do need internet when out, and can't rely on finding the odd available hotspot.  Not sure if there is some kind of system problem (my payment history shows one for early April...a credit and then debit listed as "system issue").  Can someone please help?

@joeh    Log into your account and halfway down the overview page under My Data/Add-ons do you see your data?  If this is missing then you've depleted your plan data and will now need to purchase add-on data ($15/1GB) to tide you over until renewal or perhaps if you are frequently using more data than available, perhaps schedule a plan change to $35/3GB plan?

Anonymous
Not applicable

do one thing take your SIM card out and waiting for a minute and put it back and do rebooting your phone - This one is quick and simple. Make sure your phone is off before removing and reinserting its SIM card.

Remove your phone’s battery - Some phones have removable batteries. Sometimes removing and reinserting the battery can fix certain issues. Just make sure your phone is off before you do this.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

and make sure APN Settings On device 

Changing APN Settings On An IPhone

click HERE 

Changing APN Settings On Android Phones

click HERE 

make sure your DATA is on.

and if is still not working you have to Submit a ticket to a moderator.

Here’s when and how to contact the Moderator Team:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • or you can send a private message to Moderator_Team by click here.            You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• In your message put it, please include.
  • your account number,
  • your phone number,
  • your account PIN,
  • explanation to them nice Team and nice service 

Good Luck

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@joeh 

Can you log into self service and look under My Data & Add-Ons and see if data is listed? Also check your APN settings on your phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.