cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my dad keep is phone number?

Michelcyr2009
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

I am helping my dad to join the public mobile family.

My dad was working for a company and he just retired and is employer gave him is company cellphone when he left. The company was with Bell so I got the unlock code for is phone the other day. My dad would like to keep is same phone number is it possible if this was previously a phone that was provided and paid by is employer. I remember when I registered my phone I had to put my Rogers account number and the name that was on the account and boom  I was able to keep my number but for my dad it’s a little different since he doesn’t have a bill or an account number...but he would really like to find a way to keep is number.

Thanks for your help im advance!

Sincerely,

Michel

13 REPLIES 13

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Michelcyr2009, I have this weird feeling when your dad retired, the company gave the phone to your dad. Chances are, that the company may have cancelled the phone plan and consequently the phone number to go with it. It would have been a shame if they already did this because of all the contacts that he has in place once upon a time ago. 

Get your dad to call the company up if they still have the phone number and not cancelled. Hopefully, if they still have it, and not given the number to another staff member, your dad could be a happy man in the end. Either way, get your dad to call them first thing on Monday morning.

@AE_Collector  As long as the company authorizes @Michelcyr2009 dad to port out the number then you could use the IMEI  number but it's probably advisable for him to double check the information required to port.....name on the account, acct#, authorization and confirming the number to be ported so both the former employer and the former employee know they have the correct information.

@AE_Collector  Yes, IMEI can be used, because that's how I got my number ported here from Lucky, because I couldn't contact Lucky, to get my account # from them(their online system doesn't show account numbers, and their phone system has an endless loop, that never gets you to a human.... didn't know about the workaround 'til someone here told me), so I used the IMEI, and that worked fine. The difference here, is that the number is likely on a company account, and the SIM may well have been taken out of the phone, and stuck in another phone, and given to another employee..... the OP hasn't exactly elaborated a whole lot since the 1st post here.....

Okay, just throwing this out there.... are we sure the account number is needed? I thought there was a list of things that any ONE of could be used besides the phone number to port a number. One is the phones IMEI number off the phone I thought. If he knows the number and has the phone, isn’t that enough to port it? Or have they very recently tightened up the requirements?

AE_Collector

@gblackma 

There is no need for anything in writing.

Once he gets verbal confirmation he knows that the employer will not make complaint about the port. He needs to check the mark in the form.

@Lar wrote: At the very least since the phone and number are now your fathers

The OP didn't say that..... it was mentioned that the company gave him the phone, but didn't say anything about the number and account info being included..... that may have been what was intended, but wasn't actually said..... 🤔 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Michelcyr2009 

Make sure that your father's phone number is not on a corporation account before porting to PM.

If his number is part of a corporation account, he need to move his phone number from his company account to an individual account first before porting to PM.

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Michelcyr2009   At the very least since the phone and number are now your fathers I assume he will be getting the bill and that will have the account information on it.  Maybe Bell are going to be really nice and give him the phone for life free... ok maybe not.  Cheers

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

I am not sure if Bell has implemented port blocking on numbers like Telus, but make sure the number is not blocked from porting.

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hey @Michelcyr2009 

The only way to have number successful ported over is by having the account number, name on the bell account.

Can your dad ask the company to see if they can get him the required information?

The port request will fail without the  required information.

Cheers

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

Nvm, double ninja'd, yet again...... 🙄 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Michelcyr2009 Once your dad gets it in writing, it should be okay to transfer the number. Here's a link on  what's currently required for porting  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-...

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

"Hi there,

I am helping my dad to join the public mobile family.

My dad was working for a company and he just retired and is employer gave him is company cellphone when he left. The company was with Bell so I got the unlock code for is phone the other day. My dad would like to keep is same phone number is it possible if this was previously a phone that was provided and paid by is employer. I remember when I registered my phone I had to put my Rogers account number and the name that was on the account and boom  I was able to keep my number but for my dad it’s a little different since he doesn’t have a bill or an account number...but he would really like to find a way to keep is number.

Thanks for your help im advance!

Sincerely,

Michel"

@Michelcyr2009  As long as the account is active you will have to ask your dad to contact his employer and ask if it's OK to port out the number. And if they say yes, then you should be able to do it by entering the account info.

Need Help? Let's chat.