cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Public Mobile help me secure a vanity phone number?

Afmax
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am switching over but want to use a custom number of my choosing, even if it costs hundreds of dollars to secure.

6 REPLIES 6

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

You can search the pools of numbers available at various VoIP providers, and sites that "specialize" in vanity numbers and port-outs like numberbarn.com. Some other services let you search available numbers too: twilio.com,

Also, since many people are ditching their landlines, there are large swaths of unused numbers in the old traditional prefixes allocated to landlines. You could sign up for a landline for a month or two, and the carriers usually will check if a few preferred numbers are available. Once it's yours you can port it out anytime - including to a mobile service.

Along these lines I recently inquired with Telus what options there were to acquire to old landline numbers that I had a decade+ ago, ideally without the whole rigmarole of installing home phone service. They offered their "Business Connect" plans which start at $15/mo for a VoIP based mobile-app only.. I'm still thinking about it, and of course they wouldn't tell me if particular numbers were available unless I proceeded with the sign-up process... 🙂 You don't have to port to PM either - you could port them to a VoIP service with low costs to "park" it - ie voip.ms at 85c US per month.

@Afmax wrote:

I am switching over but want to use a custom number of my choosing, even if it costs hundreds of dollars to secure.

In theory, a moderator could assign any available phone number to an already activated account. However, I wouldn't expect a moderator to spend more than a couple of minutes to look to see if a phone number is available. The best I could imagine would the moderators doing a quick search for a phone number and then perhaps offering a you a few similar phone numbers. 

I would say that the Telus Mobiltiy self serve website has more options available for the changing of the phone number of an actuve account. After finding a phone number that you like, you could then port it to Public Mobile.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I got a good number on my Fongo app over 10 years ago.

@popping wrote:

@Afmax 

PM does not provide vanity phone number.  

You can search "vanity phone number" on Kijiji and buy one and port it you PM account.

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/vanity-phone-numbers/k0l9004

@popping oh wow!  thanks for the Kajiji link.  I hope the OP finds their vanity phone number there.  😁

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Afmax 

PM does not provide vanity phone number.  

You can search "vanity phone number" on Kijiji and buy one and port it you PM account.

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/vanity-phone-numbers/k0l9004

Also from eBay.ca

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2057872.m570.l1313&_nkw=vanity+Canadian+phone+numb...

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@Afmax wrote:

Hi @Afmax first time I've heard of a "vanity phone number".  lol Unfortunately no.  You can only personalized the last 4-digits of a phone number.  But hey, your vanity number might be available in the pool, you never know until you check.  Cheers!

Need Help? Let's chat.