cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Never Use Data When Not On Wifi

SafetyChick66
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have been with Public Mobile since the beginning of the year on the $35 plan with 2.5G and on May 1st decided to upgrade to the $45 plan with 5G of data on the prepay with $2 off. Every single month I can never use the data unless on Wifi.  When I was on the $35 plan in under a week it would say Data used up even though I only used it at home on Wifi.  So I decided to upgrade to the 5G plan and the very first day I tried to etransfer my paycheck and again it said Not Registered on a Network even though I checked in settings and I was. I only paid for it approximately 2 hours prior to trying to access my money. This is getting to be extremely frustrating.  I have all running apps turned off so I have no idea what's going on.  When I tried to call *611 you cannot speak to anyone only 5 automated questions on the menu. I have never had this problem with other companies.  How can I speak with someone to rectify this.  If I can't fix it right away this will have to be the last month I use Public Mobile.  If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.  Thanks 

6 REPLIES 6

@SafetyChick66 I would behoove you to tell us what phone you are using to allow us to better focus on your issue. 

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SafetyChick66  If you have an iPhone be sure wifi assist is off, otherwise you will use cellular data when connected to weak wifi. 
Is the data used message coming from PM or your phone's data monitor?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@SafetyChick66 

My last response was more focused on the fact that you said you are running out of data and were not sure why.

But I am a bit confused at this post, and your first post you made previously.

You said: 

"When I was on the $35 plan in under a week it would say Data used up even though I only used it at home on Wifi. "

So, why would you only use Data at home on Wifi? Generally Data is used for NON-Wifi area zones. In this case, turn Data off when in Wifi zones.

You said, in your TITLE:

"Can Never Use Data When Not On Wifi"

Something could be up with your apn settings; As @mimmo posted.

Check APN settings on your device: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles?q=apn

If you could respond answering the questions people are asking you, that would be a start to helping figure things out. 😊

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

If the data add-ons are showing then you have remaining data if not it has bed used up.

Assuming it's not used up, What phone are you using,?  Do you have the correct APN  settings?  If apple do you have latest carrier update?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@SafetyChick66 wrote:

I have been with Public Mobile since the beginning of the year on the $35 plan with 2.5G and on May 1st decided to upgrade to the $45 plan with 5G of data on the prepay with $2 off. Every single month I can never use the data unless on Wifi.  When I was on the $35 plan in under a week it would say Data used up even though I only used it at home on Wifi.  So I decided to upgrade to the 5G plan and the very first day I tried to etransfer my paycheck and again it said Not Registered on a Network even though I checked in settings and I was. I only paid for it approximately 2 hours prior to trying to access my money. This is getting to be extremely frustrating.  I have all running apps turned off so I have no idea what's going on.  When I tried to call *611 you cannot speak to anyone only 5 automated questions on the menu. I have never had this problem with other companies.  How can I speak with someone to rectify this.  If I can't fix it right away this will have to be the last month I use Public Mobile.  If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.  Thanks 

@SafetyChick66 ,

If you are always in wifi  you should NOT be going through the data on the $35 plan.

There must be something that can be fixed here.

Please confirm:

• Ensure your WIFI option turned ON?

• Ensure your hotspot setting is OFF:
  1. Tap Go to Settings.
  2. Tap Hotspot & tethering.
  3. Turn off the Wi-Fi hotspot.

• What phone model do you have?

Go to your Self Serve under "View My Usage" under your Overview TAB:

esjliv_1-1619961450169.png

Then try and navigate to see where data may have been consumed - you can go back 90 days:

esjliv_0-1619961419169.png

Public Mobile Customer service Representatives are called Moderators.

You can reach them by either 2 methods found here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/contact-a-moderator

But, Moderators should only be reach for account related issues. I feel this is a phone setting issue, at least it must be ruled out first.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@SafetyChick66 

Presume you have mobile data toggled on on your device?

Under this section of your self serve, is there any data showing in the data line:

HALIMACS_0-1619956866032.png

Have a read of the following article to see if it provides any help:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Need Help? Let's chat.