cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I remove SIM card?

Jackhyf63
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I will go back China for 2 weeks,can I just remove public Mobile SIM card for 2 weeks?While  in Beijing put new  chinese SIM card ,when I come back to Toronto and then switch back public Mobile SIM card?Does the public Mobile charge roaming fee or any fee?

19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hamaida wrote:

@GreatCanadian Do not focus on small things. Try to focus on the main point "Roaming"... Both answers, my answer and yours correct.

@hamaida 

We all parse out parts of sentences to try to interpret what people are asking. If a part of a post isn't entirely correct then someone might come along and straighten it out for the OP and future readers in general.

Or if a part of an OP hasn't been fully answered then someone might come along and shed light on that part.

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If the phone is the same phone he used previously in China, then of course it is unlocked. Hopefully that's the case. 

GC 

GreatCanadian

I don't believe it's a "small thing". There's all kinds of great advice here in this thread, but noone has asked if the phone is unlocked. That's the first of 2 things to ensure his phone will work in China. First, is the phone compatible with Chinese networks. Second, is it unlocked. It may be unlocked. But if the OP isn't even sure that he can take out the SIM without adverse effects, I wouldn't be so sure that he would be familiar with what an unlocked phone means.

GC 

hamaida
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@GreatCanadian Do not focus on small things. Try to focus on the main point "Roaming"... Both answers, my answer and yours correct.

GreatCanadian

All well and good, but that's not what you said. I didn't want to say you were wrong because I wanted to be somewhat polite. You said you were sure his phone is unlocked because he's with Public Mobile. I pointed out that that statement isn't necessarily true.

GC 

hamaida

@GreatCanadianBecause he said that he will use it in China, he is very sure that it's unlocked.

GreatCanadian

@hamaida wrote:

@Jackhyf63  No roaming fee or any fee if you remove your PM Sim card. And I am sure your cell phone is unlocked coz you are with PM.
Have fun there is NO roaming fee or any fee after traveling Just put your China sim card and you will be Ok.

Not necessarily. If the phone was previously locked to Telus or Koodo, it would still work with Public Mobile.

GC

hamaida

@Jackhyf63NP. YOU ARE WELCOME.

Jackhyf63
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Thanks for all answers 🙏

hamaida

@hairbag1NP. Mabey my reply was not clear enough.
Thank you.

@hamaida wrote:

@hairbag1 FYI.. I did not say more than that.!!

My apology.....I was confused.

hamaida

@hairbag1 FYI.. I did not say more than that.!!

@hamaida wrote:

@Jackhyf63  No roaming fee or any fee if you remove your PM Sim card. And I am sure your cell phone is unlocked coz you are with PM.
Have fun there is NO roaming fee or any fee after traveling Just put your China sim card and you will be Ok.

@hamaida; FYI...it doesn't matter if you remove the sim or not. Once you cross the Canadian border, all PM service ceases. Only exception is if you have a US Roaming Add-on, then service will continue for the 10 day period of that add-on. PM has no other roaming options, at this juncture.

hamaida

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Jackhyf63 wrote:

I will go back China for 2 weeks,can I just remove public Mobile SIM card for 2 weeks?While  in Beijing put new  chinese SIM card ,when I come back to Toronto and then switch back public Mobile SIM card?Does the public Mobile charge roaming fee or any fee?

Public Mobile is a prepaid service so there are no roaming charges ever. Yes, you can remove the SIM and re-insert when you get back. If your phone supports two SIMs you can have both cards in your phone without any issues.

As long as your phone is compatible with a network in China, yes, this will not be a problem.

For your information, if you stop paying for your plan at the end of your billing period, you can go up to 89 days without renewing your plan before losing your number/account/balance/SIM. 

jotsang

@Jackhyf63 wrote:

Public Mobile has no roaming partner in China, so your SIM won't work while you are there. Please note you are still paying for your Public Mobile plan even though you removed your SIM from the phone for 2 weeks.

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you remove your SIM card and don't use while traveling, you're not roaming. No charges.

And yes, you can remove your SIM card, leave it behind and put it back in when you get home.

Need Help? Let's chat.