cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I port my existing number to a different service and still keep PM (with a new number on PM)?

Jasok
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Question says it all. I have a basic plan on PM and want to port my main number to a different service but still keep PM to continue my original plan with the discounts.

7 REPLIES 7

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Jasok 

Is your number Publicmobile number? You should take to Telus port department if you could release by choosing a new number for your old account and then get your number with their help to a new account. 

If it's not, there is nothing you can really do except maybe check with your o original provider and see if they could fish it out for you with a temporary account with them

@Dunkman 

I know that's the generally accepted reply - however if one is staying within the TELUS family of companies,  is there not a back-end way to facilitate such a request?

I'm guessing it would take a keen & knowledgeable representative, and a little bit of leg-work, to make it happen.  But it's probably very uncommon and not guaranteed.

@Jasok wrote:

What if I immediately switch to a new plan? Would it require a new sim and could I keep any discounts? I assume that at least the refer-a-friend discounts would transfer over. What about the loyalty reward?

I have some data from a promo and a long-distance add-on and neither of them have an expiry date. Can I keep my old sim to access the data, and what about the minutes (would it be a private number)? Or would I need a new sim with a new plan to access them?

I guess the new plan would require a new sim. Could I use an unused sim card from years ago?

@Jasok 

As mentioned above, not possible with Public mobile.  Once you port out the number, the PM plan and account is closed  right away and permanently.  Whatever credits, rewards and add ons are lost.  Your request has been asked in the past and Public mobile has confirmed that it is not possible.  You can't immediately switch the old PM plan to a new plan as you describe unfortunately.  

@Jasok 

In order to create a new plan with a new account number you need new SIM and email address.

None of the rewards can be carried over to the new account. The only one that would remain would be auto-pay, if you have a payment card registered.

I understand what you're trying to do, and it doesn't seem unreasonable, it just isn't easy when you're dealing with two different wireless service providers.

Jasok
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What if I immediately switch to a new plan? Would it require a new sim and could I keep any discounts? I assume that at least the refer-a-friend discounts would transfer over. What about the loyalty reward?

I have some data from a promo and a long-distance add-on and neither of them have an expiry date. Can I keep my old sim to access the data, and what about the minutes (would it be a private number)? Or would I need a new sim with a new plan to access them?

I guess the new plan would require a new sim. Could I use an unused sim card from years ago?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Nope. 

Sorry.

Well that's not entirely correct... If the new service you're considering is under the TELUS umbrella of companies, it is possible that TELUS might be able to work out an arrangement for you to do this,  but it would take cooperation between the two subsidiaries. 

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

No, you cannot do that. Once you port it, it closes account.. 😞

Need Help? Let's chat.