cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls going to voicemail

EJ1928
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey all,

For the last few days, people who call me go straight to voicemail. I don't get any notification or phone ringing, I just see a new voicemail. I can text fine, my bills are paid on time, data works, it's just the phone calls that don't seem to connect.

I made sure 'do not disturb' is not on, silence unknown callers OFF. I don't believe it's a setting issue.

When I changed my cellular option from LTE to 3g, I am able to receive calls though. Why would LTE not work but 3g work for phone calls?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@EJ1928 wrote:

When I changed my cellular option from LTE to 3g, I am able to receive calls though. Why would LTE not work but 3g work for phone calls?

Since public mobile does not support VoLTE, it needs to switch from LTE to 3G to make or receive calls, and sometimes the network switch takes too long or fails causing incoming calls to go to voicemail. Maybe congestion, maybe something else network related we will never know. But it might be interesting to note any significant difference in the signal strength ("bars") for 3G vs LTE? Your service for each network could be coming from completely different tower locations & radio bands.

@EJ1928 wrote:

For the last few days, people who call me go straight to voicemail. I don't get any notification or phone ringing, I just see a new voicemail. I can text fine, my bills are paid on time, data works, it's just the phone calls that don't seem to connect.

This will differ depending ont he phone model, type of operating system, and on the software installed on the device, but whenever I've tried testing DND mode, this would make it so that the phone would not show information about the incoming call on the full screen, and there would also be no rining or vibration. However, if I was already looking at the screen and using the device, the incoming call notice from the notification bar would still show and the call could still be answered.  I know that you're not hearing your phone ring, but are the people who are calling you hearing any ringing sounds?

@Luddite wrote:

@EJ1928  What is make/model of your phone?

BTW: I leave my phone set to 3G since it's required for calls and has better coverage where I live.

Carriers have had their share of problems when a handoff is required from LTE to HSPA for voice calls. Usually, it happens just fine, but not always. If the example of Freedom is used, the introduction of LTE made some custoemrs' phone unusable for vocie unelss LTE was turned off in the phone's settings. On a few occasions of network outages at Public Mobile, I've witnessed on my own phone that switching to 3g-only mode would get my service back up an running before everything got fixed.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@EJ1928  What is make/model of your phone?

BTW: I leave my phone set to 3G since it's required for calls and has better coverage where I live.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@EJ1928 , @zlazarev : I'm wondering if maybe you might be in LTE only areas and maybe also have VoLTE set on on the phone. PM doesn't do VoLTE so there's that. But the other might be why some calls make it in and some not. Maybe even related.

PM voice only works on 3G/WCDMA/UMTS/HSDPA. Many phones have the network selection being a list of possibilities rather than just one. Make sure it's the several options not just the one.

Need Help? Let's chat.