cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls dropping after 2 hours

TheMobileCat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does anyone else notice calls dropping after 2 hour conversations? I've tested this a few times now and just found it strange. Is there a 2 hour limit for calls that I was unaware of? It's not a huge issue, I'm just curious.

15 REPLIES 15

it is a "feature" here

hi @computergeek541   do you know if Telus and Koodo have this "feature", too? or even Bell's?

@bunluuurrr wrote:

still experiencing this problem 4 years later. very frustrating when waiting on hold.

While I don't recall Public Mobile making a statement about this, the hangs up after roughtly 2 hours is likely a network management technique and something that Public Mobiel has decided on.

bunluuurrr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

still experiencing this problem 4 years later. very frustrating when waiting on hold.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

While many of prefer keeping our conversations short and sweet when possible, there are sceanrios where you need a longer call.  Already mentioned is the waiting on hold scenario.  Another common one might be dialing into conference calls for longer work meetings (though often these are now done on data-based platforms like GoToMeeting, Skype for Business, etc--but even these can use phone bridges for audio-only participation or if you're having audio issues with your PC and need to dial in for the audio while watching screen shares or using video on the computer).  I'm sure there are others but these two come most readily to mind.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

TheMobileCat

@pku wrote:

2 hours! 1 hr in and I'm already exhausted

It makes me sad that long calls with people you care about have become so underappreciated. At one time, it was such a valued method of communication but now, it is looked at as some sort of chore. It's a fascinating change to me. Perhaps I just can't adapt to the new world. I still think there's nothing like a good voice conversation, text can be impersonal.

pku

2 hours! 1 hr in and I'm already exhausted

hocuspocus

No kidding. Last time I had a 2+ hour call, ironically it was being on hold with Telus for my wife's line.  This was during the 10GB plan frenzy.

TheMobileCat

@Someone_here wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

whow 2 hours of chatting,  i do not think i can last more than 5 minutes on the phone.  but i would hate it if i was on hold for 1h59 minutes then finally got to a real person.

If I remember correctly, some people reported having had exactly this problem... Not cool at all!

Agreed! Definitely not cool.

TheMobileCat

OMG that's a good point! With conversation it's only a slight annoyance (we just have to be mindful of time passed LOL) but being on hold and then getting cut off as soon as you get through would definitely up that to extreme!

@mimmo wrote:

whow 2 hours of chatting,  i do not think i can last more than 5 minutes on the phone.  but i would hate it if i was on hold for 1h59 minutes then finally got to a real person.

If I remember correctly, some people reported having had exactly this problem... Not cool at all!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

TheMobileCat

I appreciate knowing others have experienced this too. Definitely interesting to learn about this hidden limitation with PM as well as some of the other carriers though. When I was with Rogers, I never had this issue. This is my first time I've been away from that network therefore the only time I've experienced it.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This seems like an undocumented design feature.  I have not hit the limit with Public Mobile.  When I was with Wind, it was 2 hours also. 

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@kav2001c wrote:

every single carrier has some limit. Otherwise network would have multiple orphan calls. 

Never tried to test Public so no idea what limit is (could be higher) but sooner or later will hit a limit and call will be disconnected.

Probably same limit as Telus/Koodo/PC Mobile have

@AdamAy wrote:
They do cut off at exactly the same time, it's always after 138 minutes

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@TheMobileCat Yes, many other member have reported this in the past. 

Need Help? Let's chat.