cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling a local number and being told I need a long distance add on

Junaidnoori
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently payed $15 for my dad's public mobile account which is due on the 5th of May. He has been trying to call local numbers several times but the same message comes back. He can still text. What's the issue and how can I resolve it? 

9 REPLIES 9

@gpixel 

Lol....that is my full speed 4G LTE account with no plan data so data usage on it is just for convenience when using that phone. In fact thats all the data usage for that account in 21 months. About 350mb was used by the bf when he borrowed my phone for a few days when he was between phones ( which of course happens a lot!) I am hard pressed to use my data add ons over and above my 250mb of plan data on my other phone. I have used about 600mb total between the two and have ( I think) about 32gb total of add on data of which I spent some community reward credit to purchase 2gb last year when they first lowered the price to $15/1gb on what was originally a limited time offer. After that I earned/was gifted a whole bunch more add on data.

@Junaidnoori 

@Anonymous wrote:

@Junaidnoori : The account should have received a text saying there were 10 minutes left.

But...you do need a long distance add-on 🙂

The $5 500 minute Canada-wide add-on is excellent for the limited plan for when the 100 minutes get used up.

Any unused add-on minutes will just roll over until they get used up...even if that takes several months or more.

It's a "should-have" for anyone with a limited calling plan such as your dads plan. Either that or upgrade to the $25 plan with unlimited Canada wide calling.

@Junaidnoori 

If you wish to purchase the $5/500min add on it is a one time purchase that will remain on the account rolling over each 30 days until completely consumed. Be sure to add at least $5 into the available funds first then go to the plans and add ons page and scroll down to the add on section. Tick (1) for your selection then scroll down and confirm and submit your purchase of the add on. Go to the overview page and look for the add on to appear at the bottom left of the page. Log out and reboot the phone.

Screenshot_20210429-073603~3.png

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Junaidnoori can your dad still receive a call ? 

Just wondering if it's minutes or something else could be going on 🤔

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Junaidnoori wrote:

I recently payed $15 for my dad's public mobile account which is due on the 5th of May. He has been trying to call local numbers several times but the same message comes back. He can still text. What's the issue and how can I resolve it? 

@Junaidnoori 

If the minute line item is no longer showing on your Dad's Self Serve account under the Overview tab than this means he has run out of OUTGOING minutes. 

It will look like below EXCEPT the "100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk" line will not be showing if minutes are all used.

esjliv_0-1601935725902.png

Good thing is, renewal is in 3 days. 

Note: checking the voicemail from the Public Mobile device DOES use the outgoing minutes in this plan.

Do avoid using the minutes to check voice mail call the Public Mobile device from another cell phone, landline or wifi calling app (fongo is a good one and free). When voicemail message starts hit the star key " * ", and follow prompts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Junaidnoori : The account should have received a text saying there were 10 minutes left.

But...you do need a long distance add-on 🙂

The $5 500 minute Canada-wide add-on is excellent for the limited plan for when the 100 minutes get used up.

Junaidnoori
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I put the 1 in front and it still doesn't work. If I used up all my minutes, shouldn't they tell me that instead of saying I need a long distance add on. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Junaidnoori : Perhaps the account has used the 100 outgoing minutes of the plan. Or try adding a 1 in front of the 10 digits.

Need Help? Let's chat.