cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling Spain from US?

Mtl_1551
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I am in US, and want to call to Spain, and I have both the US roaming and international calling add-ons: will it work? 

Or international calling only works from Canada?

14 REPLIES 14

@LurganIeUk I would just purchase the $10 sim card and have free roaming. I'll have to admit, it's a pretty sweet deal! I already have a sim on the way. I wanna try the $40/unlimited plan they have

@Nezgar wrote:

@gpixel 

There are a number of other countries that are free to call with TextNow. Maybe not all types of lines like not mobiles, but you can check it out within the app:

Screenshot_20200925-070815~2.png

Yes I have noticed, too, on my VoIP Account that some destinations in Europe are listed by carrier name landline/mobile, so no guarantee to be able to call ANY number at ANY European destination. I would then suggest you try here before you travel. 

But just another point that perhaps someone else can advise. If you use the TextNow app in the USA would the destination or wifi service block the call or block the App. I do know some free wifi does block the use of some Apps. 

@Nezgar that's awesome! thanks, they only advertise free Canada and us. this is very good to know

@gpixel 

There are a number of other countries that are free to call with TextNow. Maybe not all types of lines like not mobiles, but you can check it out within the app:

Screenshot_20200925-070815~2.png

I'd suggest making the call over wifi. At a free wifi hotspot, maybe a McDs or Starbucks or public library or whatever. Don't use roaming data add-ons if there's a free/cheap alternative.

Well maybe not a library, Spaniards can be passionately loud.

And I guess maybe not a McDs because happymeal children can also be passionately loud.

I suppose not even a Starbucks, their coffee sucks. But I digress.

@Nezgar I think you can only make calls to Canada and the US with textnow

With Wifi/Data access using the TextNow app or web portal, calling to Spain appears Unlimited/Free.

If you have the US Data (or access to wifi) option you could use a VoIP Account or one one the many APPS already mentioned for outbound calls. But inbound calls may be a hassle. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Mtl_1551  If you have an Android device you can use Google Hangouts Dialer to call Spain using data and/or Wi-Fi just add funds and you should be able to make the call.

@Korth wrote:

I'm just curious ...

If this person in Spain calls your phone roaming in USA ... would their long-distance charges be for a call to Canada or for a call to USA?

Someone calling from Spain would still be calling a Canadian number. It doesn't make a difference for the person making that call.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I'm just curious ...

If this person in Spain calls your phone roaming in USA ... would their long-distance charges be for a call to Canada or for a call to USA?

In Canada only 

Screenshot_20200924_151957.jpg

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Unfortunately, Calls must originate from Canada for them to go through.   

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Mtl_1551 wrote:

If I am in US, and want to call to Spain, and I have both the US roaming and international calling add-ons: will it work? 

Or international calling only works from Canada?

Nope...you'd need a calling card from a retail store in US.

400 min International calling add-on only works whilst in Canada.

Need Help? Let's chat.