cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Callers dialing my number get a busy signal

D-House
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just activated my sim card and put it in my phone last night. Since I started up my phone with the new sim card up until now, I can make outgoing calls, send SMS texts, recieve and download SMS and MMS texts. But anyone who dials my number goes straight to a busy signal. Nobody can call me now. What would cause this? And how to we fix it?

18 REPLIES 18

D-House

Thanks, that's helpful to know. I've submitted a ticket as it's been 24 hours already.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@D-House wrote:

It's a busy signal even on the old sim card

Something is not right.  Create a moderator support ticket for help using this link https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/
Tell SIMon what is the issue (important) - "Port Request"

After submitted a ticket, you should check their private message SENT folder for their ticket which they just created.
If you cannot find your ticket in your SENT box, You did not create your support ticket yet. Also monitor your INBOX for any reply from moderator.
Click the envelop icon at the top right corner to access your private message mailbox.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@D-House wrote:

Thanks for responding!

Is there a common way to get a port "unstuck"? It's my old number I'm trying to use, not a new one.

FYI:

Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. After submitted your porting request, PM set up your old number on your PM account. Login to your account. Select the [Plan and Add-Ons] tab. Is your old number showing on the [Plan and Add-Ons] display?
If yes, PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.

Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release you number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider. You can continue to use the old provider SIM card until it stops working which is the indication that your number was released to PM.

After couple days, if your PM SIM still cannot receive any calls or text messages, your port may be stuck.  Moderator respond time is longer recently.  Create a support ticket tomorrow morning if your incoming call is still not working to get on the moderator waiting queue.

@D-House best to contact moderators then something likely wrong with your port. 

D-House

It's a busy signal even on the old sim card

D-House

Right, I'm going to do that now

@D-House  don't forget to try your old sim card in the phone. See if incoming calls work.

D-House

It's just coming from another cell phone. Thanks for the tip on opening the ticket sooner rather than later. I'll get on that.

@D-House who are you porting from? Cell provider, VoIP, landline? Account has to be in good standing also unless it's Telus or Koodo.

Put your old sim card in the phone you'll likely still receive calls to it. This is what happens if the port is processing when a port is first requested and it also happens when a port is stuck. 

A cell phone after 24 hours it's likely an issue with the port. You'll need the mods to fix for you. Open a ticket with them as there standard reason we time is 24/48 hours also although they could response in a few hours. Either way the faster it's up and running is better for you.

D-House

Thanks for responding!

I might try that. If rebooting doesn't work, it's good to know that I can try that "port request" process.

@D-House after 2-3 hours after activation

what's the make and model of the device?

try resetting your network settings

1. Open Settings>General Management>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings>Tap Reset Settings
If prompted enter your pin, passcode
3. Tap Reset Settings 1 more time to confirm
4. Restart

D-House

Thanks for responding!

Is there a common way to get a port "unstuck"? It's my old number I'm trying to use, not a new one.

D-House

Thanks for responding! I was able to set up my voicemail. I am using my old phone number from before, not a new one. At what point is it reasonable to assume that something has gone wrong as opposed to it just being a process running its course?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@D-House wrote:

I just activated my sim card and put it in my phone last night. Since I started up my phone with the new sim card up until now, I can make outgoing calls, send SMS texts, recieve and download SMS and MMS texts. But anyone who dials my number goes straight to a busy signal. Nobody can call me now. What would cause this? And how to we fix it?

@D-House   Sounds like the porting hasn't completed which it should have by now.  You can try rebooting your phone or powering off your phone, remove SIM, wait couple of mins and reinsert SIM and restart your phone.

Otherwise you may need to submit a ticket via SIMon chatbot ? mark bottom right of your screen to moderators as your port may be stuck.  Type in "Port Request" to get started and follow the prompts.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Also, have you set up your voice mail? What happens when you call your voice mail...it should be your area code XXX-580-4001.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Did you port a number from another provider or did you get a new number?

If you ported sounds like your port might be stuck.

If its a new number the sim may not be provisioned properly.

If porting a cell number it normally takes a few hours but could take longer. Landlines could take a week.

In any event you need to speak with the moderators.

1- 

Simon.JPG

2 - or via private message.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @D-House ,

Did you port a cell or landline?

If you just ported your phone number from another cell provider it could take a few hours to complete the port. Using the other cell provider's SIM you should be still receiving calls on it, until the port completes.

If you ported from a landline it could take up to 7 days to complete.

Make sure you do not cancel your previous provider's services until the port is complete.

*Incoming calls are usually the last to port, and when it comes to porting a land line, the incoming calls could still be coming to previous provider.

Need Help? Let's chat.