cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller ID name display ; it WORKS

A_Abou
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I received a call today from a number that is not in my list, and I found that the name is displayed.

The number belongs to a local school bus company in my city.

Thanks Public Mobile for giving this feature for free , I didn't have this feature with Freedom mobile.

Update:

I found that there are other topics in the community with the same information, so admin feel free to delete this post

13 REPLIES 13

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

No idea what changed, but I can I thought that I'd let everyone know that at least on Public Mobile, "Name Display" (as Rogers calls it) no longer works at Public Mobile. 

I cannot say for sure if this is a temporary thing or if it's gone forever, but what I can say it that when I checked today, this feature no longer works. 

I just tested and it still works for me*.  It's possible that the number calling your PM phone isn't in the CNAM database used by PM -- that's typical of callers from cell phones. 

The test that I did was from my home phone, a Bell Canada landline.  it's most definitely is in the database (never paid extra for an unpublished number) and it has always been listed int he oldstyle whitepages printed phonebooks.

I do see you're noticing something to. Somethings up with this at Public Mobile, though it's not something we can really complain about since it's a service that was never officially offered.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

No idea what changed, but I can I thought that I'd let everyone know that at least on Public Mobile, "Name Display" (as Rogers calls it) no longer works at Public Mobile. 

I cannot say for sure if this is a temporary thing or if it's gone forever, but what I can say it that when I checked today, this feature no longer works. 

I just tested and it still works for me*.  It's possible that the number calling your PM phone isn't in the CNAM database used by PM -- that's typical of callers from cell phones.  Also, note that when Rogers subscriber John Smith calls a fellow Rogers/Fido subscriber Jane, his name shows up on Jane's display because the CNAM database in use is local to Rogers.  If John Smith now calls Computer Geek's PM phone, there's no guarantee that his name will show up, and in fact likely won't (depending on the aggregate of CNAM databases used by TELUS/PM).  There's a misconception that the caller name is delivered to the called party as part of the call set-up, but that's not the case; only the number is delivered, and its up to the receiving carrier to do a database lookup.

I just used SpoofTel to call my PM phone, spoofing a caller that I definitely do not have in my contacts list and who has never called me (nearby Shoppers Drug Mart).  On my PM phone, sure enough, the caller name showed up as "Shoppers Drug Mart".

*Edit: I tried a different SDM, and caller name didn't show up.  Tried another merchant, and it didn't show up either.  Granted, I don't know if they would've shown up in the past, but CNAM might not be working 100% afterall!

For anyone not familar with Name Display, this is a service that was exclusive for Rogers and Fido customers.  This service made it so that on your phone's screen, the a incoming caller's name would be displayed as printed in the phone book (white pages) or as transmitted by Rogers.  This would happen even if that person had never called you before and even if you do not have that phone number seaved in your contact list.

At first, I thought it was because I was playing around with a new device, it wasn't because of that.  I put my sim card back in a device that Name Display was known to be working in previously.  It apperars that Public Mobile customers are no longer able to use Name Display.

MK78
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jeffster1970 wrote:

I didn't know that we didn't have Name Display....

Also pretty sure that Freedom did have it, though I might be wrong...

Nobody but Rogers had it. I don't think Rogers flanker brands like Fido offered it.

Now I'm assuming if PM has it, that Telus/Koodo have it as well, and possibly Bell/Virgin as well.

jeffster1970

I didn't know that we didn't have Name Display....

Also pretty sure that Freedom did have it, though I might be wrong...

A co worker called me twice this morning, first time his extension number popped up... no idea who it was.   Second, almost immediate call, came up with the employer's name...

Wonderful Name Display.... I've missed it for so long!

Balanceman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I never realized that there is name display.

Thanks for posting.  Free value added services are always good!

jpar

Is there support for outgoing name dsiplay?

MK78

Really... I haven't encountered this yet, but it's a feature I really missed coming from Rogers, who was the only one who had it.

Vickel

I didn't realise it was on until someone mentioned it in another thread.

Must have gotten used to it when I was on Rogers. Cant belive its almost coming up to the 1 year mark for me.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I have not recieved any names yet (although I dont get a ton of calls).

I have got calls from companies that show up on the home phone call display but nothing on my cell.

Ill keep my eye open /  keep checking.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

thank you for sharing @A_Abou, we're glad you're enjoying it so far 🙂

Cheers,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @A_Abou,

Thanks for sharing this.  Its not a bad post... we can leave it up here.  I have no experience with the name display as I haven't really been paying attention.  But I am sure it can be useful for others.  

Need Help? Let's chat.