cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call forwarding for extended period of time?

sreekar545
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm moving back to my home country for some time and I'm getting a virtual phone number in Canada. I want to keep my public mobile number and forward the calls to that virtual number. I tested it and it works fine, is this okay if I don't switch on my actual public mobile SIM and use the call forwarding for like 6 months?

15 REPLIES 15

@Nezgar wrote:

@computergeek541 

Good find... I guess since the article says call forwarding uses minutes on "limited" plans, and the current $15 is only "half limited" due to unlimited incoming calls, that call forwarding is associated with the incoming calls side.

PM could definitely clarify that article since it was written when limited plans limited both in and out minutes...

There was a time that call forwarding was usually unlimited or sometimes 1000 minutes and was standard as included with plans. Sometimes, there was a small chaged for the feature, but it was still unlimtied.

That's no longer the case. While carriers aren't usually charging for call forwarding as an add-on, it usually no longer includes the minutes associated with such calls. This often causes confusion on people who have plans that that had/have unlimited incoming calls or unlimted weekends. Many people did not understand that forwarded calls would count the same as a non-unlimited daytime calling minute.

@computergeek541 

Good find... I guess since the article says call forwarding uses minutes on "limited" plans, and the current $15 is only "half limited" due to unlimited incoming calls, that call forwarding is associated with the incoming calls side.

PM could definitely clarify that article since it was written when limited plans limited both in and out minutes...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

They're supposed to.

Show me where it says that. 😁

I think it's more out of place for call forwarding to consume minutes. Telus/Rogers/Mike/ClearNet postpaid plans always included it...

Here.

@computergeek541 wrote:

They're supposed to.

Show me where it says that. 😁

I think it's more out of place for call forwarding to consume minutes. Telus/Rogers/Mike/ClearNet postpaid plans always included it...

@Nezgar wrote:

@dude65 wrote:

Every call that is forwarded is an outgoing call.

Forwarded calls do not consume outgoing minutes on the current $15 plan. It's unlimited.

They're supposed to.

@dude65 wrote:

Every call that is forwarded is an outgoing call.

Forwarded calls do not consume outgoing minutes on the current $15 plan. It's unlimited.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dude65 wrote:

The other thing you may want to do is get the $15 plan (gives you 100min outgoing Cdn calling/month), then add a Canada calling booster, as many as you want (500 mins for $5) that dont expire until you use them up. 

Booster is "Koodo-speak". 🙂 We call them add-ons in these h'yar parts. 🙂

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

As someone said, its expense forwarding service, but thats your choice.  Every call that is forwarded is an outgoing call. If you plan on talking on the forwarded calls more then 100 mins a month, you  could do 1 of 2 thing. First would be upgradinging to the $25 plan that gives you unlimited outgoing Cdn calling. The other thing you may want to do is get the $15 plan (gives you 100min outgoing Cdn calling/month), then add a Canada calling booster, as many as you want (500 mins for $5) that dont expire until you use them up.  I would dump the funds into your account before you leave, so that you dont have to worry about autopay screw up.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@sreekar545 wrote:

I'm moving back to my home country for some time and I'm getting a virtual phone number in Canada. I want to keep my public mobile number and forward the calls to that virtual number. I tested it and it works fine, is this okay if I don't switch on my actual public mobile SIM and use the call forwarding for like 6 months?

That's an expensive forwarding service. For plans with limited call minutes, forwarded incoming calls count as outgoing minutes. So, you're looking at least $25 per 30 days. I would think about porting the number to somewhere that has a cheaper plan.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@sreekar545  If you are going to be away for 6 months consider making a plan change to the $15 plan before you depart and $ave your money.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sreekar545 

Even you have autopay enabled.  You should check on your account on every renewal days to make sure that your account is renewed correctly.

You can also add enough fund to pay for 6 months plan fee.  Renewal using available fund in my account never failed me over 2 years.

Like every one is saying.....keep it active.  I would suggest if you want your inbound calls only to change to the $15 plan if you are not already there. And set up the auto pay and prepay for the next 7 months or so at 7 x $13 plus taxes. Then when you come back, change to your preferred plan in the last few days of your 30 day period.....if you come back early you will still have a credit to use. INBOUND calls are all free on the $15 plan. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sreekar545 wrote:

Sure if you keep the account paid up. Not if you let it suspend for lack of payment. Or worse, deactivate after 90 days of suspension.

Edit: yumpin'

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sreekar545  - you would have to keep your account active during that period.  Safest way is to add enough money (in advance), to pay for each renewal.  Occasionally, the auto-pay glitches.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@sreekar545 make sure the account is in good standing and it should be fine

Need Help? Let's chat.