cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call ID says US but I'm not in the US?

CrabApple
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Whenever I call someone it says I'm in the US but I'm very much not. Is this is a normal thing? Are people going to get charged when answering my calls or am I gonna get charged? Is there a way to change this?

9 REPLIES 9

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

@CrabApple wrote:

Whenever I call someone it says I'm in the US but I'm very much not. 

WHAT says you are in the US? The phone of the person you called? Or your phone maybe by a “Welcome to the USA” message? You aren’t located particularly close to the USA/Canada border are you?

Are you a new customer to PM or have you been here some time but this just started recently? All calls do this or just occasionally? Are people in Canada calling you successfully to the best of your knowledge?

AE_Collector

@computergeek541 wrote:

I've seen on some Android phones, that when someone calls and the call display says a toll free number, it will always says something such as "USA" o "United States" even if the call is from a Canadian company

Interesting and that seems to explain why I've seen even short codes seemingly being sent from a US destination when the companies involved are clearly Canadian.

@computergeek541 wrote:

When it comes to the caller's side, many phones are set to search an online database for a matching personal or company name.  Often when none is found, it will display something such as "Alberta, Canada" or simply "USA". This is a phone software issue and some landline (and VoIP) carriers fill in caller locations.  On most phones that's i've seen, the receiving caller can get around this by saving the phone number of the person who is doing the calling in the contact list.

Interesting piece of info. Did not know that...

Name could be pulled up from phone's 'Contacts' too. OP should check what his friend has it for him under contacts.

@Anonymous wrote:

@CrabApple 

incoming call or outgoing call what you have in your plan that is will working only 

at public mobile Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

The information shown on the receiving person's phone screen has not relation to what the Public Mobile customer who is making the outgoing call gets charged.  Even if we assume that the person answer the call is a Public Mobile customer, this still would make no difference because it doesn't matter for the person answer a call where someone is calling from.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CrabApple 

incoming call or outgoing call what you have in your plan that is will working only 

at public mobile Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

@Dunkman wrote:

@CrabApple 

Public mobile just displays your phone number (not location or name, etc). It is likely an issue on your caller's side.  Your caller would have to change things on their phone. 

@CrabApple 

This isn't a Public Mobile service issue. When it comes to the caller's side, many phones are set to search an online database for a matching personal or company name.  Often when none is found, it will display something such as "Alberta, Canada" or simply "USA". This is a phone software issue and some landline (and VoIP) carriers fill in caller locations.  On most phones that's i've seen, the receiving caller can get around this by saving the phone number of the person who is doing the calling in the contact list.

I've seen on some Android phones, that when someone calls and the call display says a toll free number, it will always says something such as "USA" o "United States" even if the call is from a Canadian company.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@CrabApple   no worry, receiving end won't got charge.

So, your friend's caller id will see your number from US?  Many of your friends all seeing this or just one of two of them?

@CrabApple 

Public mobile just displays your phone number (not location or name, etc). It is likely an issue on your caller's side.  Your caller would have to change things on their phone. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@CrabApple wrote:

Whenever I call someone it says I'm in the US but I'm very much not. Is this is a normal thing? Are people going to get charged when answering my calls or am I gonna get charged? Is there a way to change this?

@CrabApple  

No extra charges will be charged to you.

Have them enter your contact info. from scratch into their phone. 

Did you just activate or port over a phone number?

Need Help? Let's chat.