cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Forwarding Question

TK
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello,

I have a province wide plan in Ontario without LD addon. I need to forward calls when I travel. 

Should I forward before leaving Ontario, or I can forward anywhere in Canada?

Could the number that I forward to be anywhere in Canada, landline or mobile?

15 REPLIES 15

FINAL UPDATE: srlawren was using Hangouts for the failed call. Once he changed it to reflect his PM number the call came through. Bottom line is that forwarding to Fongo works.

Hi all. Well, srlawren and I just did the forwarding experiment and it was a mixed bag:

1. After forwarding my PM number to Fongo/iPod a call from a friend in my home province came through, but a call from srlawren, who's outside, did not.

2. My friend reports that he regularly forwards PM to Fongo/iPad with success

So, better test for yourselves before committing.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle
On iPhones deactivate yes, because it's done from the phone. Probably can't activate from outside home province without LD add-on.

TK
Sorry, if I was not clear. I could rearrange the question as,
Could l activate or desactivate call forwarding when I am out of Ontario?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle
Yes, forward to a Fongo number local to the PM number. Answer Fongo from wherever in the world you wish using a data connection.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite aren't we talking about call-forwarding PM # to Fongo?  The actual forwarding has to be to a non-long distance number, which would mean while outside of the home province, the foward would fail without an LD add-on.  No?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle
Sure about what? In my imagination TK uses Fongo outside Ontario. Missed calls end up in Fongo voicemail. Data is used to access Fongo from anywhere in Canada.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite wrote:

In the scenraio you present you can only forward to an Ontario mobile, or landline, number.

@Luddite are you 100% sure about this?  I don't think that would work, because once outside of Ontario, calling an Ontario number on a province-wide plan requires the LD add-on.  I believe forwarding works exactly like an outbound call, and thus could only forward to numbers in the destination province.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Hi Tk

You wouldn't need to give your contacts the new Fongo phone number. You would be just be using the phone number for call forwarding purposes.  People would be calling you on your normal phone number and since it's being forwarded, you would still receive your calls, even when out of province.

TK

Thanks computergeek541,

The problem with Hangout is that people cannot reach you out of province( with a new province wide plan), though you can reach them. With Fongo, they can.

TK

Thanks,

Because I do not want to send people another number(Fongo) to reach me.

Using Google Voice Hangouts dialer for outgoing calls would allow the people you are calling to know it's you based on your usual and familiar phone number. Your regular phone number will be showed on your call display.  Your phone number would have to be verified and linked to your Google account.

Once that is done, Google offers free calling to Canadian and U.S. phone numbers.  The calls are routed through any working internet connection.

Going the Fongo route for incoming calls while out-of-province would definitely work.

Yes. However if you are going to do that, why not just use Fongo for all incoming/outgoing calls and PM for texting? 

TK

Thanks,

In the case that I forward a province wide plan to a Fongo number(same area code as my own number), could I use the plan as Canada wide plan.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Call forwarding with PM is managed fom your phone so it needs to be done while in Ontario. In the scenraio you present you can only forward to an Ontario mobile, or landline, number.

Forwarding will also only function as long as your plan is active. If goes into suspension service will stop.

JS
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You can call forward to anywhere. The only thing to keep in mind is that if you forward your calls to a long distance number, you will be billed the applicable long distance charges. So depending on your plan you could have fees.

Need Help? Let's chat.