cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Control ?

vpolyakova
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently entered my phone number into my buildings enterphone so that friends can call my number, and when I press 9, they are let into my building. Whenever it calls though I get a message back saying that the number you are trying to reach is restricting their incoming calls, and to provide a password to go through. Is this call control? How to I remove this feature or find out what my pin number is? I added the number to my contacts and everything. 

thx

18 REPLIES 18

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@vpolyakova I just called my Koodo line (with Call Control active) from my Fongo number and I get the message:  "The number you have reached has call control.  To get through, please press <random single-digit number>."   This sounds a little different if the message you hear from your intercom system is to enter a password.

Just had a thought: could your building's intercom administrator have miskeyed your phone number when they entered it, and that message is coming from someone else's line?  Just a thought.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@sunflowershine wrote:

@vpolyakova I don't think you can use your cell to set for building entry. You need to use a landline.

For this type of building entry system that the OP is using,  either type of phone could be used. The system simply makes a regular phone call. For older types of of intercon systems that go through the phone wiring in the building, a a cell phone can't be used. This is because the a physical connection is required with the front door's intercom system (this type doesn't even require the person to have phone service). 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector : I wondered the same thing but assumed Call Control had a filtering method to think hey wait a minute lets ask the caller for a PIN on this one.

@vpolyakova : What are the chances you have a screening app on your phone that a caller hits first before it rings? Maybe.

@vpolyakova 

But presumably if somehow you DO have a control feature on your cell phone it would affect all incoming calls. I assume that calls from the Enterphone system are the only ones that are receiving this message? You have been a PM customer for awhile?

a common problem that comes up is that people have a cell phone number that is not local to the area they live in but since they have provincial or canada wide calling it doesn’t cause them a problem. Newer style enter phones have a landline attached to them that is used to call the number programmed for each residence. Landlines typically have the traditional smaller toll Free calling area and return a message that the call is long distance to the guy standing at the door panel. But messages received arent always an accurate indicator of what the problem is. So make certain that your number is considered a local call where you live. A traditional Telco landline has to be able to call you as a local call.

There are slosh the older type of enterphone systems that had each residences landline routed through the system. They dont have a dedicated landline to make the call on, they intercept the landline to each unit in the complex ringing the landline in the correct unit. Thus they can NOT call a cell phone. The good thing about them is that you dont need to have a landline service, just a push button phone plugged into your telephone line in your unit and the door station will call you. So some good and some bad with that system.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vpolyakova : My account won't, but for curiosity's sake, what do you get if you dial *99?

vpolyakova

Thank you so much I appreciate it

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vpolyakova : Click on the cartoon quote button in the lower right and muddle your way through the stupid chatbot to get to submit a ticket. Be patient. It's stupid.

vpolyakova

Yes! ...how do I do that??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interesting @vpolyakova . I think you've done what you can and now hearing from an actual tech who maybe doesn't sound like he's just pointing fingers. PM belongs to Telus. PM shares some infrastructure with Koodo. But PM doesn't "offer" Call Control. So maybe it's some internal thingy in the system that got somehow flipped on in your account.

I guess now you do need to contact the moderators and have it turned off. Give them what you found and what the tech said and they should fix it. Or tell you what the PIN would be.

vpolyakova

I was there with the enterphone tech and he said he runs into it quite a bit actually and that its on the phone side of things. When I googled it, it sounded very similar to this "call control" feature that telus and koodo have implemented. 

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/05/17/telus-koodo-launch-call-control-feature-combat-spam-calls/#:~:tex....

This, exactly this.

Is there any way to get a hold of someone to verify that this is definitely not the case? I can't find anywhere to set or discover what my pin is.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vpolyakova : I think you need to talk to the building manager to clarify whether cell phones can be used and perhaps also long distance.. just in case. This certainly doesn't sound like a Public Mobile problem. It's just another inbound call as far as the cell phone is concerned.

vpolyakova

My phone never even rings. The enterphone speaker system starts to announce the message and prompts me to put a pin in.

I have also never intentionally blocked a phone number so that is also not possible. 

Really curious on this one!

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Ok.  I think the building calling your cell and you press "9" to open door is allowed, but that depends on the building call system, not an issue on your cell.

Do you mean you already submitted your PM cell number to the building? and every time someone buzz your unit, the building tries to call you but it got the message " t the number you are trying to reach is restricting their incoming calls,"  ??   PM service is very limited and  don't think it has  call control.   I wonder if a setup on you cell and you set the building number to blocked?

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@Meow wrote:

What if he ported land line number to mobile?

I do not think porting real 'land line' to cell phone is good idea.

Some authentications calls will not work as system on the other side expects mobile CO Code.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meow : That's a heck of a scenario. Phone rings (I set up a buzzer sound for that contact for fun), who's that at the door?, hang up. Or ignore it when you're a 1000km away. You have to do the action of pressing the 9. Maybe it's kinda close to the hang up icon but really.

And I think we're talking about a multi-unit building, not a house or townhouse.

I think it's great. Say you forget your other methods of entry. Use the enterphone, your cell rings, press 9 and the door opens. Fantastic.

@sunflowershine wrote:

@vpolyakova I don't think you can use your cell to set for building entry. You need to use a landline.

What if he ported land line number to mobile?

I think it will be security issue allowing mobiles to open door into building. You can be 1000km away, phone rings and you accidentally press 9, punks enter, rob everybody and who let the dogs in????

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sunflowershine : Depends on the system. Mine does.

@vpolyakova : I'm not clear on when exactly something's wrong. Do you get the call on your phone? Can you press 9? Does the door open? When does the message happen?

Maybe you have the number of the enterphone in a blocked number list from maybe a junk call once upon a time.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.