cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Control to block spammers for PM

sahands
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
14 REPLIES 14

HI @Cdnlass   All these requires sending the phone number (and possibly other info) to the third party server, privacy is an issue.   Use with caution

sahands
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My current Google pixel phone comes with the "phone by Google" app which has spam protection built in, so far it's done ok, filters about 70% of spam calls.

Cdnlass
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have had no issues and I have been using it for about 6 months. I'm pretty suspicious of things but I seem to have lucked out with this one.

HI @Cdnlass 

is the app safe?

Cdnlass
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I use an app called Hiya that blocks unwanted calls from coming in. Its quite effective and its free on the app store. Don't know if that will help anyone but thought I'd put it out there 🙂

@helenhelen wrote:

What I now do to deal with the spammers is never pick up my phone for unknown numbers or if I am not expecting a call (I hate talking on the phone anyway so don't even like picking up for known callers!). I have an outgoing message on my voicemail that says I do not check voicemail and to try calling back (in which case I usually pick up if I get a second ring from the same # the same day) or text/email me instead (everyone that would call me has my email or can text me). I have my voicemail box closed so no one can leave messages. I have found this greatly reduced the # of spam calls I get since they never get an answer and I never have to go into my voicemail  to delete spam recordings...

My contact list is very up to date and any call with a number only means they are NOT a known person so I would be hesitant to answer.  Keep in mind blocked callers will go direct to voicemail. 

helenhelen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What I now do to deal with the spammers is never pick up my phone for unknown numbers or if I am not expecting a call (I hate talking on the phone anyway so don't even like picking up for known callers!). I have an outgoing message on my voicemail that says I do not check voicemail and to try calling back (in which case I usually pick up if I get a second ring from the same # the same day) or text/email me instead (everyone that would call me has my email or can text me). I have my voicemail box closed so no one can leave messages. I have found this greatly reduced the # of spam calls I get since they never get an answer and I never have to go into my voicemail to delete spam recordings...

@grantc wrote:

Perhaps a search of how Telus call control works would help you to understand what a great feature it is. Zero robocalls while enabled!

Up-vote getting this feature enabled on Public mobile.

There are tooooooo many other things that should be “fixed” first before asking for an add. 

Text to advise referred account has had suspension removed

Self serve option to change pin number

Self serve option to change email address

Have more than one account under one email address

etc etc

grantc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Perhaps a search of how Telus call control works would help you to understand what a great feature it is. Zero robocalls while enabled!

Up-vote getting this feature enabled on Public mobile.

@gpixel wrote:

@sahands if you would like top tier features, lucky mobile has most of them and has "Universal Network-Level Call Blocking.

Every phone in Canada is protected by "Universal Network Level Call Blocking" - it is a mantatory requirement for all carriers in Canada, including Public Mobile.

However, what it blocks is very simple:

• Caller ID of more or less than 10 digits (Long distance and country codes are not included in the count e.g. 1 800 111-1111 is considered a 10 digit number)
  • Invalid (e.g. area codes that do not exist or are unassigned, all 0’s, etc)

I know that this blocking is in effect at public mobile, because initially my outgoing call tests using voip.ms when I signed up would not go through to Public Mobile until I configured a valid (10 digits) phone number for outgoing caller ID.

Of course, this does nothing to stop spam calls that just forge valid 10-digit numbers...

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@sahands wrote:

https://www.telus.com/en/on/support/article/call-control-for-mobile-devices-explained

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/call-control?search_api_views_article_search_fulltext=call contr...

Will we get this?

Are you for real??? Look at what Telus offers..

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 9.12.15 PM.png

Wow 25 blocked calls!!!

Just block all bad calls your self!!!

On an iPhone and maybe others you can control accepted calls based on your contact list BUT it may block the odd legit call that you have over looked putting into your contacts. 

I would think I have a 100 or more on both my home line and mobile phone. And those are 2 different sets of blocked numbers.  

The best way to control bad calls is to have an up to date contact list and be disciplined to block callers on your phone manually. 

Every one wants a service because they "don't have the time" (<= which is bunk) vs making  an effort to control these annoying calls out of your life!!!

Once you get things in line you will be amazed at the lessened annoyances. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@sahands if you would like top tier features, lucky mobile has most of them and has "Universal Network-Level Call Blocking.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Likely not since Public Mobile is third tier. Telus 1st and Koodo second. Both offer call support. If you want cheap prices this is what you get I would think.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@sahands , very unlikely.  Public Mobile is a tier 3 brand.  Only the most basic functions come to this tier.  The idea is to get customers who want more features to go to the higher tiers.  

Need Help? Let's chat.