cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Audio Degrades Rapidly

Ani21
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey, so I just signed up for Public Mobile yesterday and made my first call, and something really strange happened. At first, the call quality seemed great, but I noticed that if the person on the other end of the call spoke for longer than 3 seconds, then their audio would start to become garbled and unintelligible. But if they paused, then started talking again they'd sound normal. This was even the case for a recording.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a problem with my phone or is something weird with the service?

7 REPLIES 7

Ani21
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I tried testing it with some other numbers like suggested. The problem doesn't seem to be happening anymore for some reason. I tried it in the same spot I took the first phone call and the signal seems to be fine as well. Like, 3-4 bars, depending.

My thought is that it's probably something to do with the phone, since it's fairly old.

ichor
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello and welcome

Out of curiosity is the other person on a cellphone or a landline?

I notice that this is really common when someone is phoning from a cellphone to my landline and they are walking in a noisy area like a downtown street.  The speaking is strong at first, but the background noise breaks in and causes the voice to garble and fade out.  I have no idea why it does this but it happens with several different cellphone users that call me.

Maybe test it with different people on different carriers to find out if the problem is at their end or yours.

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Ani21   Does this happen with all calls to different numbers?   I assume your phone worked ok on your last providers system.   Cheers

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Sounds like maybe noise cancellation kicking in... if someone makes a constant sound "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh" - after a few seconds the voice codec will silence that out after a few seconds.

This should not affect normal speed speech.. Is it preventing you from hearing what people are saying clearly?

For subjective testing, you can dial 611 or *611 and listen to the voice quality of the announcement without using airtime minutes if you are on the $15 plan with limited outgoing minutes.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Ani21 wrote:

Hey, so I just signed up for Public Mobile yesterday and made my first call, and something really strange happened. At first, the call quality seemed great, but I noticed that if the person on the other end of the call spoke for longer than 3 seconds, then their audio would start to become garbled and unintelligible. But if they paused, then started talking again they'd sound normal. This was even the case for a recording.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a problem with my phone or is something weird with the service?

@Ani21  Try using the speakerphone next time it happens. Does the problem go away? If yes, then it might be a hardware issue. If not, then it must be a connectivity issue.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Ani21 , when this problem happens is the signal strength of the connection really weak?  It could be local network problem.  Otherwise, I would say it is a phone issue, problem with the speaker or headphone if one is used.  

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Ani21 try turning off your phone, waiting 30 seconds and restarting. Also, try placing your SIM into another phone if available. In both cases, try making a call. Please report back any results. Thanks.

Welcome to PM.

@Ani21 wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.