cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRTC bans locked phones and carrier unlocking fees

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Canada’s telecom regulator has announced that as of December 1st, 2017, all individual and small business wireless consumers will have the right to have their mobile devices unlocked free of charge upon request, while all newly purchased devices must be provided unlocked from that day forward.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/06/15/crtc-canada-carrier-unlocking-fees-banned/

39 REPLIES 39

ToniCipriani
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Will the Public Mobile service to get Telus/Koodo codes also drop to free?

Mana
Mayor / Maire

Finally!!!

But I am sure at the same time the big 3 will increase the price of the cell phones to include the unlocking cost or will come up with some other policy or price increase to ding the customers, just like how they increased the monthly plan pricing when they were forced to reduce the contract length from 3 years to 2 years.

@mimmo@zhadj030 thats why im no longer buying big brand names phones for really high prices. unless they introduce more afforadbale model, For example The new samsung a5 is on sale for under $500 at bestbuy unlocked. I see a phone being a phone. As long as it works, and provides me with secruity/software updates Im happy

But we have so many options now with phones, that being most can come from overseas

@mimmo
Aren't prices already very high . Three years ago the most expensive smartphone would be at max 899 now a lot of then are over 1 k for a phone.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire
Additionally, the updated Wireless Code has changed the trial period after purchase to allow customers to cancel their contracts within 15 days and return their device in “near-new” condition at no cost, as long as they have used less than half of their monthly usage limit. Currently, most carriers have more restrictive limits — for instance, at Bell it’s 30 minutes of voice usage and 50MB of data.

It also restricted roaming and data overages without the customer’s explicit consent — for instance, it required that carriers suspend service when roaming fees hit $100 CAD, at which point users will get a text asking whether they’d like to use more.

Additionally, the Code mandated that a customer’s contract must be written in plain language and that when a customer cancels his or her contract, the carrier must comply immediately. Previously, customers were forced to wait 30 days.

The pro consumer changes were inevitably interpreted in ways that were sometimes less than generous — such as raised prices for the two-year plans to account for the shorter subsidy period — but overall, the number of complaints received by the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services (CCTS) saw a sharp decline.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I thought if you buy a phone outright it is yours and you are not contrained to any plan.

Just worried that the full prices will go up.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire
Finally. That took forever. I am sure the telecos aren't happy with this decision

about time! but does this still mean if we buy a device outright from telus,rogers or example we still have to go on a plan for x amount of time, even thuogh it will be unlocked 

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
Need Help? Let's chat.