cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NDesai
Oracle

Re: DONT BUY A NEW PHONE JUST YET!!!

@kav2001c I have merged your topic into this one.

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

outdoorsaddix
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So if i have a locked Telus phone, will Public mobile now have to unlock it for me for free? Previously I know they would unlock Telus or Koodo phones being used on the network for $50.

@Shazia_K any comment on that?

asantiago
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: CRTC bans locked phones and carrier unlocking fees

Actually it's quite the opposite.

Carriers now pay an extra to phone manufacturers in order to have their devices customized and locked.

From now on, they won't have to pay for the locking process anymore.

That doesn't mean they won't jack up phone prices though.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired

Hey @outdoorsaddix

I'm not too sure on this one, but if it's official then yes as of December 2017 we would unlock your phone for free. 

Some conditions to follow for unlocking a device here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Unlocking-Your-Phone/ta-p/5237

Thanks, 

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.
NDesai
Oracle

@asantiago wrote:

That doesn't mean they won't jack up phone prices though.

They might jack up the price or minimize discount sales, but at least it won't be more than the retail price. 

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

Tigerheron
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No more locked phones in Canada!

Woo-hoo! On the same day, the government killed the proposed tax on internet services, then banned companies from issuing locked phones. The changes begin in December. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-wireless-code-cellphone-1.4161711

Re: No more locked phones in Canada!

My opinion is that the phones should have never been locked in the first place.  Many consider this to be anti-competitive behavior.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Re: No more locked phones in Canada!

Because of this, just like the increase to the minimum wage in Ontario in 2019, the cost will be passed along to all customers.

yah.  Nope.

i think the telecoms will ditch the unlocking fee as ordered, but charge a $55 service fee, that covers setup of new service on the device, and "all other services including unlocking the phone, etc....."

i hadnt heard the all new devices unlocked on Dec 1, that's how it should have been always.

ToniCipriani
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@smp99 wrote:

1st - After Dec 1st, all phones are suppoed to arrive unlocked, so there will be no cost to the carrier to unlock - but there will be loss of revenue. So the question is, just how much profit is baked into the unlock 'cost'

2nd - This really sucks for people who have to get their device unlocked now or in the next month or so. 

But, in general this is a win for the consumer. 

They made about $37.7 Million just by locking and unlocking phones.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/06/15/what-unlocking-fee-ban-means-for-canadians/

PunchDickins
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

CRTC Cell Phone Unlocking Fees

Woo Hoo....  carriers will not be able to lock phones going foward.  Hopefully that means a lot of people moving to Public Mobile in 2 years.

Need Help? Let's chat.