cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clefort88
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

CRA scam phone calls!!

Good day, lovely members! Long time no talk, wha-? 

So, yesterday, I received my VERY FIRST scam call since joining PM. It's actually a call that has been plaguing most of NS for the last 4 months. 

Canada Revenue is supposedly calling from a number listed from both Alberta, and then Vermont.... HA. 

As soon as you answer the phone, it starts, with a very deep voice, telling you that there has been a lawsuit filed under your name, and the CRA are desperately trying to get a hold of you before you're blown to wreck and ruin by said lawsuit. 

I listened that far along, then promptly hung up. 

I was wondering if perhaps the CRA has been selling off phone numbers? I highly doubt that. At the same time, I'm not quite sure that PM would sell off our numbers either. If they have, well... shame and dishonour on their families, haha. 

It's been quite a rampant scam here in NS. There's a few people in this area actually, who've been conned out the whazoo because the threat of a lawsuit under the guise of CRA is, naturally, terrifying. 

Any thoughts as to what is going on with either the scam, or the sudden appearance of my PM number being on that list? I'm already enough of a conspiracy theorist, that it's not that much of a stretch to believe that the only authoriative figures with my number are Govt of NS, PM and the CRA for my tax return; and that the former and latter would be more than happy to sell off their civilians numbers lol.... I digress. 

I hope you all have a woooonderful weekend! 🙂

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that I did search our forums for CRA calls, and the only thing that populated was "CRAP..."....and I laughed, way too hard. 

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: CRA scam phone calls!!

I have also received a call from CRA on April 6th. I am receiving too many Spam calls since I have joined Public Mobile! Woman Mad Never had this problem with Fido. I had to install a Call blocker to free myself from Spam.
Being registered on “National Do Not Call List” does not help!

jp2

Typically these scams don't need a phone list they will just utilize a computer to call randomly generated number that begin with the area code they have set. 

I never answer a call that I don't recognize but haven't received any scam voicemail yet since switching to PM at the beginning of the month. I'm in Alberta 

Clefort88

I've been with PM since September of last year and it's still the best service provider I've ever had. 

Little room for anything that would actually make me switch. 

Makes sense about the autogenerated numbers though! 

This is the first auto-call/spam-call I've had since I switched to PM. 

No worries, really. Was more wondering if anyone else had experienced it, or if they'd have any ideas to the scam, period. 

jp2

CRA scams will occur around tax time if they are smart

will13am
Oracle

I got my call the other day.  The person left a voice message with a number to call back.  I called back hoping to find out why this person can't find a real job and earn money the honest way.  The number supplied was unfortunately not in service.  Oh well. 

tzliu

Got the scam calls twice to my Fongo number a while ago.  Fongo users are aware - Fongo users tend to get more than the fair amount of scams.

If you are a Chinese user, prepare for scam calls purportedly came from the Chinese consulate trying to scamming your passport numbers.

Pop1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

#clefort88

Got the very same yesterday in Edmonton AB

Didn’t entertain it for too long as I had heard about this one before and as yet had not been caught up in it.

Cant help feeling for the vulnerable out there that maybe have been squeezed to part with their cash

stay safe

Bob S

@Pop1 wrote:

#clefort88

# doesn't have a function on this message forum. To tag someone here, the @ symbol is used. I don't believe that clefort88 would be followign this thread any longer as it's more than 2 years old.

danduf1981
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been getting robo calls from local numbers in Ontario claiming to be CRA. I just hang up and block each number.

Need Help? Let's chat.