cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying an Iphone 5s/5c NEED HELP/ADVICE PLS!

leeleeb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

First off I need to know really is there relly a huge difference in these 2 phones? I mean I read the specs so Im aware of that stuff but I dont NEED the fingerprint ID. I realize the biggest thing is really plastic compared to the metal.  My daughter wants me to get the 5S of course and makes a huge face when I mention the 5C but I am not 20 yrs old anymore so Im not too concerned with looking cool. Im also very rough on my cell phones and Ive heard the plastic case of the 5C actually stands up alot better wheeeen compared with the metal. Im soooooo bad at dropping my phone BUT being my first iphone Im going to invest in a good case anyways! So suggestions please!!!!!!!

Secondly I just wanted to confirm if  buy a iphone that says locked to Telus/Koodo...............would this work?? Or do I need to get one that is just unlocked plain and simple????

Thirdly............has anyone ever heard of this website/company:

http://www.themobilebase.ca/

I dont want to get taken for my money so Id like to check it out and make sure its legit when Im

spending this kind of money!

Thank you all in advance and any info/advice is appreciated!!!

Lee

12 REPLIES 12

Ionut
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@concordia88 I'm more of an Android guy cuz i root my.phone and i can hack wifi and so one. And more advanced things. I'm not denying or lying the power of iphone which is way superior to androi.
So now it's up to you what do you want. But iphone it's good phone.

Iphone usually work faster because he doesn't need like android garbage collector

What’s garbage collection? It’s a process that triggers the recycling of memory once an Android app is done using it. Usually, this works pretty well on systems that have a lot of free RAM, but once you get a lot of different apps running, things start getting dicey.

Android’s garbage collectors work best when Android apps have 4 to 8 times as much memory as is actually needed in order to perform the garbage collection process. Once you stop having that amount of free memory available, performance starts suffering.

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

@leeleeb I have a blue 5c, and actually decided to stay with it as my first phone with PM. I paid to have it unlocked not realizing that I didn't need to since the phone was locked to Telus. I'm still happy with it, going on 3 years, and I think it's fine for a first phone. My wife has a 5s and is really pleased with it as well. For the 'refreshed' price you're paying, you can't go wrong.

I put a clear hard case from Spigen on my 5c. Look them up on Amazon. You can get free shipping and it cost me less than $20.

concordia88

Maybe just me.  I will not recommend that you buy either iPhone5s or iPhone5c.  You will be better off buying a brand new iPhone7 or for the same money as used iPhone5s, buy a decent Andriod phone instead.  I have a iPhone6 plus.  It is a nice phone when it was new.  However, the iOS really slows it down every time it was upgraded.  I am not even considering upgrade to the new iOS10 since a lot of people reported it slowed down considerablly the older iPhones including iPhone6.  But, even the iOS9 made my phone sluggish.  The worst, Apple keeps remaind you to upgrade every day (sometimes more than one) and there is no way to disable the auto remainder in iPhone (iPad is ok).  It is reallly really annoying.  Keep this in mind when you shop for an iPhone.

leeleeb

Ahhh Ok I thought that might be the case with Avatar. Thanks for the info!

As for me Im aware of the condition ratings of the phones at Orchard. I have decided to get the Iphone 5s in the Very Good condition. I noticed it also dosent come with a charger which I could purchase there but every gas station I go in now-a-days has shelves of them that fit android or apple phones and they are cheaper at the gas station (obviously only knock offs but I dont really care).

So.............on to finding a good case!

Thank you to everyone who responded! 🙂

Lee

@leeleeb By your profile photo, I assume you mean your avatar - the small photo beside your name? It is not an error on your part as the ability to select your own profile photo/avatar is restricted to PM employees and "Oracles". Robot Sad

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

wilts
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Good answers!

I personally like my iPhone 5S and enjoy the fingerpint ability as it helps me open some apps very quickly.

There are great cases out there (I should buy one lol) I keep mine in a Blackberry belt cover. (I am frugal)

Thaere has been many updates to the iPhone 5S and I hope they don't stop the important ones.

It's a shame to pay to unlock phones that you paid for over a contract.  Thats why some offer a discounted rate or a free phone to hook you.  I personally just unlocked 5 phones for my family and 4 are now on Public Mobile.

Switch was very good and the signals not are much better.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@leeleeb, please keep in mind that the prices are competitive because they are used phones.  I took a look at the link just now and see that they list the condition as "Good", "Very Good", "Like New" etc.. so do pay attention to that and find a good balance of price vs condition of the phone. 

EDIT: your image upload for profile pic is failing because PM has disabled that option, except for the staff and oracles. I wish they enabled this option for everyone.

leeleeb

sorry double posted

leeleeb

Thank you so much! And yes you are correct about my SIM card. 🙂 yeah! finally getting a new cell! I dont even remember what its like to not have a screen with a bunch of cracks in it thats how bad its gotten!

One other thing, I cant seem to upload an image to my profile..................I select the image and press OK and a little bar comes up like its loading and then nothing. Ive tryed at least 20x. Can anyone set my pic for me or perhaps tell me how to do it or what Im doing wrong?????????????

Thanks again!

fixed2.png

Koodo/Telus phones: yes, PM says all phones locked to Koodo/Telus will work.

Current SIM card: it seems you joined PM 02/26/16, correct? If so, you likely received a tri-sim card and you just need to push out the smallest part (nano SIM) and install it in your iPhone. Your phone number, account balance, plan all remain unchanged. 

You may need to read up, and pick, the best process for you to transfer contacts, photos, etc from your Android to iPhone. Try this article: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/ht205063

leeleeb

OK thanx! So I can buy an iphone from orchard that says its Telus/Koodo and it will work for sure??? Just making sure 100% before I purchase. Ive been at this for at laest 2 months and would just like to get it done 🙂

Also, I knew about Orchard but I was clicking on the link from the Public Mobile page so it was only showing me cell phones that already had a PM sim card and PM settings. I didnt realize this untill you

just posted this other link for Orchard, so thanx alot! Now the prices are diffenitley more competitive!!

Another ?.... will my current SIM card work??? It works fine right now in my android cell phone.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

1. You are correct about "ruggedness" so if that is paramount go with 5c. If longevity is more important then you should opt for the 5S; it's hardware is similar vintage to current iPhones. The 5/5c are previous base hardware. Apple gradually eliminates hardware software updates; for example you can no longer update iPhone 4/4s to current iOS 10.

2. Yes, phones locked to Koodo/Telus operate on Public Mobile. If you decide later on that you would like one unlocked PM will currently do that for $50.

3. Sorry, never heard of it. PM is recommending Orchard for used phones. They offer two options:

- various makes that come configured for PM and with a PM SIM card; have had batteries replaced and are unlocked: https://publicmobile.getorchard.com

- iPhones that have at least 80% battery capacity and may, or may, be unlocked. So search this site https://www.getorchard.com site for unlocked/Koodo/Teles phones.

I personally still use iPhone 5; now 4 years old and has had the battery replaced ($99 at Apple).

Need Help? Let's chat.