cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breaking news: Shaw Purchase's Wind Mobile

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Breaking news: Shaw announced that they're planning on acquiring Wind Mobile.

Shocking. What will be new landscape in telecommunications world in Canada?

Let's debate

6 REPLIES 6

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I read it from mobilesyrup that Shaw bought Wind to compete with Telus in Western Canada

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Here's a pretty good rundown on the deal from MobileSyrup (Canadian mobile news provider) that includes some Q&A on anticipated ramifications of the deal:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/12/17/everything-you-need-to-know-about-shaws-acquisition-of-wind-mobile...

Doesn't mention much about PM other than the fact that both PM and Mobilicity were in trouble when bought by Telus and Rogers (respectively).  But does allude to a possible buddy-buddy with Rogers similar to the Telus-Bell network sharing agreements, and other thoughts.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

Actually Wind had already recently recevied $350m in funding they were using to start upgrading their network, with Vancovuer being tackled first.  They were already planning to launch LTE along with these upgrades.  Having Shaw on board definitely gives them access to a lot more capital (and likely easier to secure/better terms credit also), so hopefully this excelerates the process.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

imm1304

Interesting development.. the last remaining little guy will get bought out too.  

Wind customers will eventually get the real 4G/LTE coverage with extra cash that Shaw brings in. BUT, I expect them to raise the prices.  

I am thankful for PM, we do have it pretty good here.  

Remember Mobilicity had a hard time getting the regulatory approval, lets see if same thing happens with Wind.  

yup heard about this yesterday.

Personally I hate Shaw cause their internet plans much higher price and its never stable here.

It won't make a difference to me after all....

humzatariq
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It isn't really shocking. WIND cannot sustain in the current competitive marking with their overall lack of fundings. A lot of their customers leave after the 3 year mark including myself. Nothing new will really happen because it will just go from the Big 3 to the Big 4 since Shaw doesn't really provide any sort of good pricing compared to other players in the cable industry at the moment, and I can't see them operating WIND's side of business any different than the currently do now.

Need Help? Let's chat.