cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought new phone now have no data and phone error saying it's stolen

nchubaty
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Picked up a new phone and swapped SIM cards - immediately got a message when I try and surf that my phone is now listed as stolen and my account is frozen.  When I log into the website there is no error on my account but now I have zero data available and cannot use data.

Help?

12 REPLIES 12

nchubaty

If the page loads it says "information not available"

I submitted a support ticket so hopefully I can get something sorted out.

@nchubaty wrote:

Thanks for the help all....

I have the 4.5 G for $40 plan.
The phone was working right up to the point where we switched SIM cards.
The apps installed on it were all done with wifi, not data.

The public mobile account page is brain-melting slow, but the data used for the month all shows as "web".

In your data and add-ons section, how much data is listed as reamining for your current billing cycle?

As you were saying that the issue persists even after putting your sim card back in your old phone, this isn't a devcie issue. 

nchubaty

Thanks for the help all....

I have the 4.5 G for $40 plan.
The phone was working right up to the point where we switched SIM cards.
The apps installed on it were all done with wifi, not data.

The public mobile account page is brain-melting slow, but the data used for the month all shows as "web".

@nchubaty wrote:

Putting the sim into ANY other phone gives the same error. Not the phone. Something up with the account but no way to contact customer "service".

Please see my messages from earlier about possibly being out of data. The errror message that you are speaking of sounds exactly like the the website that Public Mobile tries to redirect customers to after they have ran out.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@nchubaty 

What plan are you on?

Is it possible that when you started your new phone, it used whatever remaining mobile data you had left on your plan?

New phones typically require system updates when first used (which can be done using home wifi).

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@nchubaty since it's a new phone and you haven't adjusted the settings to not use mobile data. when you set up the phone it ate up your data installing software updates/apps. if this was an android phone, this is most likely to be the case

@nchubaty I'm not sure what they can do. There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Once connected to Simon, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
- Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent.

- Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  When it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue. Stay safe. 

@LovesToPM wrote:

@nchubaty 

It seems the phone you just acquired has been blacklisted.

This does not affect your PM account. If you put the PM SIM back on your old phone, it should work fine.

If a phone had been blacklisted, it wouldn't be able to connect to the network. If  that's the case, there's no where that any message about blacklisting could come from. 

nchubaty

Putting the sim into ANY other phone gives the same error. Not the phone. Something up with the account but no way to contact customer "service".

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@nchubaty I would return that phone for a refund if you are able to. Stay safe.

@nchubaty wrote:

Picked up a new phone and swapped SIM cards - immediately got a message when I try and surf that my phone is now listed as stolen and my account is frozen.  When I log into the website there is no error on my account but now I have zero data available and cannot use data.

Help?

I do not believe this has anything to do with your phone being reported as lost or stolen.

When you've run out of data (if you have), Public Mobile tries to load/redirects to a webpage with possible reasons for your data not working. Suspcious activity or a stolen phone are just some of those reasons. The message is generic.  That webpage won't load beause if you're out of data, but if you connect to Wi-Fi and refresh the page, those excucses will be displayed.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@nchubaty 

It seems the phone you just acquired has been blacklisted.

This does not affect your PM account. If you put the PM SIM back on your old phone, it should work fine.

p.s. First impressions aren't always correct.

Need Help? Let's chat.