cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blurry Photos - Picture Messaging

kienna
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I send photos from my phone to another person, the photos appear blurry and the quality of the photos significantly decreases when they receive it. I have huawei p20 pro, so the photos are quite large and high quality to begin with so I imagine that the network can't handle such large files. Is there anyway to set things up so it can send larger image files, or uses more data to send the photos at their higher quality state? 

Or could it be the messaging app I am using? it is just the standard hauwei messaging app. 

Has anyone else had this problem? Any info would be a big help! 

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

Kam9x
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It could be the app you are using. I encountered something similar where sending a photo through the app caused it to be blurry and when I went into my gallery and sent it through there it came out normal.

Jackhyf63
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You can download wechat or whatsapp ,I sent pictures from wechat or WhatsApp always great.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jessica_T wrote:

@kiennaI used to have this same problem, but my friend recommended downloading an app called photo resizer to do it myself first and then send the MMS. Had no problems since.

@Jessica_T that's another options, to downsize the photo to the point where compression won't affect it very much.  The downside is that you're now sending something at a much lower resolution, albeit probably clearer overall than trying to send the full size pic via MMS.  You're still better off to send the photo some other way though.  Either via a share link Google Photos, or sending it as a file in a service such as WhatsApp or even emailing the photo as an attachment.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Jessica_T
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@kiennaI used to have this same problem, but my friend recommended downloading an app called photo resizer to do it myself first and then send the MMS. Had no problems since.

@RobertQc wrote:

@will13am wrote:

We are talking about a 20th century technology that should have been deprecated or upgraded long ago.  

@will13amAgreed, things have not changed in MMS for what... 15 years? It's time for an upgrade or for MMS to be replaced... its ancient tech. We might as well still be using COM / Serial / LPT1 DB-25 DB-9 RS232 etc lol

Google has been trying to push RCS for some time.  When so many players are involved, aggregators, carriers, app developer, it is hard to get consensus and a seamless launch.  The wireless industry is very different from the auto industry which seems to adhere to standards a lot easier. 

@will13am wrote:

We are talking about a 20th century technology that should have been deprecated or upgraded long ago.  

@will13amAgreed, things have not changed in MMS for what... 15 years? It's time for an upgrade or for MMS to be replaced... its ancient tech. We might as well still be using COM / Serial / LPT1 DB-25 DB-9 RS232 etc lol

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kienna use anything but text messaging for sure.

Do you use Google Photos to automatically back up all your photos?  (If not, you should be: https://www.lifewire.com/google-photos-should-you-be-using-it-4051795, https://www.businessinsider.com/google-photos-walkthrough-2017-4, etc.)  You can share them right out of there and the recipient will get the full quality.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@RobertQc wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I think the degree of compression is an artefact of the MMS protocol more so than the messaging app.  When RCS rolls out, things will improve.

@will13amNot sure if its true but I read

"MMS is limited by the least of 3 criteria:
A = Each device has a max set in it that it'll send for file size in MMS.
B = Each carrier has a max that it'll allow for file size in MMS.
C = Each app has a max that it'll allow for file size in MMS.
Whichever is the smallest of A, B & C will be the maximum file size that you can send and it will compress to meet that file size."

@kienna wrote:

What is RCS and when will it roll out?

@kiennaRCS- read here https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/what-is-rcs-messaging/

@kienna wrote:

Yes, I am. do you think switching to a different messaging app would help?

Is there one you would recommend? 

Facebook, Facebook mesanger, Viber Instagram, telegram, kik, snapchat, whatsapp, google photos, 3rd party messenger app, etc

Robert you could be totally correct.  Even the lastl restrictive of the three is probably too restrictive.  We are talking about a 20th century technology that should have been deprecated or upgraded long ago.  

@will13am wrote:

I think the degree of compression is an artefact of the MMS protocol more so than the messaging app.  When RCS rolls out, things will improve.

@will13amNot sure if its true but I read

"MMS is limited by the least of 3 criteria:
A = Each device has a max set in it that it'll send for file size in MMS.
B = Each carrier has a max that it'll allow for file size in MMS.
C = Each app has a max that it'll allow for file size in MMS.
Whichever is the smallest of A, B & C will be the maximum file size that you can send and it will compress to meet that file size."

@kienna wrote:

@kiennaRCS- read here https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/what-is-rcs-messaging/

@kienna wrote:

Facebook, Facebook mesanger, Viber Instagram, telegram, kik, snapchat, whatsapp, google photos, 3rd party messenger app, etc

kienna

@RobertQc wrote:

@kienna wrote:

When I send photos from my phone to another person, the photos appear blurry and the quality of the photos significantly decreases when they receive it. I have huawei p20 pro, so the photos are quite large and high quality to begin with so I imagine that the network can't handle such large files. Is there anyway to set things up so it can send larger image files, or uses more data to send the photos at their higher quality state? 

Or could it be the messaging app I am using? it is just the standard hauwei messaging app. 

Thanks!

@kiennaThe pictures look great when you look at them in your gallery? MMS compresses the image to lower quality before it sends... depending on the messenging app, different compression methods and qualitys are used. Are you using android message? Because it compresses the image like CRAZY, 5+x more compression than stock messenging app. Sometimes we are talking about less than 100kb. Totally blurry.

@kienna wrote:

Try using something like Whatsapp. 

kienna

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@kienna wrote:

Thanks!

@kiennaThe pictures look great when you look at them in your gallery? MMS compresses the image to lower quality before it sends... depending on the messenging app, different compression methods and qualitys are used. Are you using android message? Because it compresses the image like CRAZY, 5+x more compression than stock messenging app. Sometimes we are talking about less than 100kb. Totally blurry.

Need Help? Let's chat.