cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocked number on Nov 27, 2020. Yesterday Nov 28, 2020 the blocked number still called.

Sandytsui
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I checked my phone usage today.   The number number 778-580-4001 shows in my outgoing usage everyday.  I never called this number and I do not know this number.  This issue I have asked on Friday  Nov 27, 2020 and I was told that I can block this number.  I blocked this number on Friday morning on my Samsung phone.   Friday and yesterday my usage still showed this number as many outgoing calls which I already blocked this number.   I do not  know why my usage still shows this number as outgoing calls.  Yesterday afternoon, I received two private calls and I hanged up.  The private number left voice mail and I did not check the voice mail as the voice mail  left time showed was right after the calls.

I never called this number as I do not know this numberWhy all the calls from this 778-580-4001 shows as outgoing calls?   Why all this calls not showing as incoming calls on my cell or  on my Public Mobile account's usage?  My plan for incoming calls is unlimited. and my plan for outgoing calls is 100 minutes.  This number used all my minutes.  I want to cancel my voicemail, but unsuccessful.  I left my voice mail greeting as "I am away, do not leave message".   However, I can not control people leaving voice mail as Public Mobile does does not have voice mail delete function.  

What should I do?  I need help.  Please provide me detailed steps to stop this number calling me or leaving voice mail daily.  Does Public Mobile have staff to check into my account and do the adjustment for my usage and help me to block this number?  Please reply and thank you in advance for your help.

20 REPLIES 20

@Sandytsui wrote:

Thank you for your great help.  I do not see a $20 dollars plan, but I will try to add $5 if my usage up to 100 minutes.

How to purchase an add on.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/m-p/198974

Sandytsui

Thank you for your great help.  I do not see a $20 dollars plan, but I will try to add $5 if my usage up to 100 minutes.

Hi @Sandytsui 

This is certainly confusing for some customers.  I, myself, was there a couple of months ago.

First, when someone calls you who you don't recognize and you don't wish to answer (or decline the call), the caller automatically 'forwards' to Public Mobile's voicemail system, which ends in the 4001 set of numbers (area code varies by local phone area codes).  

That 'forwarding' is not something you've actively done, it's automatic and the way voicemail works.  I can say with certainty that it also DOES NOT count toward your outgoing minutes on limited minute plans.   

What may be confusing you, is that on your Public Mobile self-serve call history log, the call will show as an "Outgoing call" to the 4001 number (because it's being rerouted to your voicemail when you don't answer).  That situation of the log showing as an "Outgoing call" may cause some people to presume it's a call you physically made.  Logically, one might assume that call should be showing as an incoming call - but it DOESN'T, unless you answer it.

Try this - I have.   Sum your otherwise used outgoing minutes to numbers you recognize - I have.  They are not in addition to minutes when someone is directed to your voicemail.

SO, the key points here are:

1. These calls going to voicemail, and displaying as they are, is perfectly normal.
  2. If this happens all the time, consider blocking the number IF it seems to be coming in from a particular incoming number.  Check your phone call-log to see if it's the same number calling you repeatedly.   BLOCK it.
  3. The calls going to your voicemail DO NOT count toward your outgoing minutes.  Checking your voicemail from your phone WILL count toward your outgoing minutes.
  4. Try to use another phone line (with unlimited outgoing calling) or a web-based calling app if you frequently need to check your voice mail to save your out-going minute allotment on your plan.
  5. Consider purchasing a $5 add-on for an additional 500 outgoing minutes on your plan.  The minutes never expire and roll-over on renewals.

That's all I got.  If it helps, great.  If not, try Public Mobile moderators as your next option.

Good luck!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sandytsui : I'm not sure what the moderators will do. All you can do about the spammers is use option 5 in extended absence voicemail, block their numbers as they come in or change your number. Option 5 stops anybody legit from leaving you a voicemail. Changing the number means all your contacts and places that would know your number losing track of you.

So block numbers. Every. Time.

Sandytsui

Thank you and I have summited a ticket.

Check if the phone is poisoned, try to use the software to kill the virus once

Oops.jpeg

@Sandytsui wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  I do not understand.  Does someone keeps sending me voice mail?  I did not check it nor forward it.  It used my outgoing usage.  On the past Thursday, Public Mobile send me text message advised me that I have only 10 minutes left.  My usage cycle is from 24th each month and I only have 10 minutes left.  This message makes me to check my account and  the usage. 

@Sandytsui I think perhaps it's time to contact a Public Mobile moderator. Hopefully they will be able to provide you the answer you are looking for. 

You can contact the moderators one of 2 ways. Open a ticket through the automated ticketing system (SIMON) at the following link;

https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

or you can contact them through direct messaging at the following link (note this way may take longer for a response);

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

In either case you should receive a reply within 48 hours though typically they are much faster. Watch the envelope icon top right for a reply.

Sandytsui

Thank you for your reply.  I do not understand.  Does someone keeps sending me voice mail?  I did not check it nor forward it.  It used my outgoing usage.  On the past Thursday, Public Mobile send me text message advised me that I have only 10 minutes left.  My usage cycle is from 24th each month and I only have 10 minutes left.  This message makes me to check my account and  the usage. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kb_mv wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sandytsui : It would seem you're being overly spammed by a spammer. Just keep blocking. I have 40 or 50 last I checked in my blocked number list. I haven't had any in a while. Or change your number.

@Sandytsui Just to add further to the post by @Anonymous , he is NOT, I say again NOT, telling you to block 778-580-4001. That is the number for voicemail. Unless you call it yourself, the calls do not count towards your minutes.

Thank you. Absolutely not. I'm not sure the incoming number shows that though. It could be getting spoofed.

@Sandytsui : When one receives a call on the phone and you don't wish to see it again, _that's_ when you block the number. You go down into the details of the call and in there should be a block option. That will then make your phone ignore the call.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sandytsui : It would seem you're being overly spammed by a spammer. Just keep blocking. I have 40 or 50 last I checked in my blocked number list. I haven't had any in a while. Or change your number.

@Sandytsui Just to add further to the post by @Anonymous , he is NOT, I say again NOT, telling you to block 778-580-4001. That is the number for voicemail. Unless you call it yourself, the calls do not count towards your minutes.

@Sandytsui  when you don't answer your phone when someone calls then the call goes to your voicemail. That's why you're seeing outgoing calls to that number.

If you're on $15 plan with only 100 outgoing minutes. You can call your cell number from another phone when your voicemail starts to play you press the star (*) button enter your password and listen to your voicemail for free without using minutes.

You can also download the textnow app. You get a free number in your area to make free Canada and USA calls over wifi or data. So you have a voicemail then you just open the textnow app dial your real cell number, voicemail starts playing, press star, enter your password and listen to the message.

Anyways now that you don't want it and you believe you set it up right now with the 5 option. Just test if it's working yourself. Call your number from another phone or text a friend to call it and see if a voicemail can be left.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sandytsui

Thank you for your great help.  I did follow the instructions on Friday, but I did not press 5 at the last step. 

I have followed the steps you just provided me and I hope the voice mail can stop others to leave voice mail. 

Every I did not check my voice mail as I know checking voice mails counts as outgoing calls.  Why my usage shows outgoing going calls many many time daily?

@Sandytsui Why are you not following the advice given two days ago when you complained about this issue? Many people have given you the answer. It isn't spam, there isn't anything nefarious going on, it's your voicemail number. If a number that calls you goes to voicemail it shows as that number outgoing. If you listen to your voicemails that is the number you have to call.

Sandytsui

How to avoid receiving this number?  I do not understand why this number is  a voice mail?  What should I do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sandytsui 

We've had a whole other conversation going on over here <-click me.

Here's how it works.

By default, upon inserting and activating a SIM from a provider, things like voicemail access numbers and APN's get automatically populated on your phone.

Voicemail access numbers are used via call forwarding. A caller calls your number. After up to 6 rings the system looks to this call forwarding number and "calls" it. The caller will then be at your voicemail inbox. Your detailed usage log will show it as an outgoing call.

Your minutes counter should _not_ increase.

When you press and hold 1 in your dialer on your phone you also go to that voicemail access number. Now you can listen to any voicemails left in your voicemail inbox. This _does_ use your minutes.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

That number is your voicemail number. Everyone has 580-4001 plus their area code for voicemail. Follow the other posts for instructions how to put an extended message on voicemail.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Sandytsui 

The number ending 4001 is your voicemail.  If you don't answer your incoming calls, your calls will be redirected to your voicemail number for your caller to leave a voicemail for you.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Sandytsui 

This is Telus voicemail number. Don’t block it. When you check you mail voicemail from your phone it registers as an outgoing call. You can use another phone to check your voicemail to save outgoing minutes. Dial your number and press * at the greeting.

To Disable Your Voicemail, Follow These Steps:

1. Dial into your voicemail by holding the number 1 on your dial pad.
  2. Select option 3 to “Manage your greetings”
  3. Select option 4 to “Manage your Extended Absence Greeting”
  • Select Option 2 to record an extended absence greeting if you don’t already have one.
  1. If you have an extended absence greeting recorded, Select option 4 to turn on Extended Absence Greeting
  2. Select option 5 to block callers from leaving a message after hearing the Extended Absence Greeting

Need Help? Let's chat.