cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block porting out of my number for security reasons

flyboy320
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

To help prevent highjacking of cell numbers, the big three offer a port protect where your number cannot be ported out without first talking to you. This helps protect you from someone stealing your cell number and using it to try and gain access to accounts (email, bank, amazon, etc.) that have a password recovery option tied to your cell phone. Can this be done with PM?

14 REPLIES 14

eDixit
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi!

Waking up this old thread because I only recently learned about this scam and sought to protect myself. It seems that policies have changed since this thread was initially created. Just thought to let you all know. You must now approve any port out requests within 90 minutes or they are automatically cancelled. Reference:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

@gblackma wrote:

@flyboy320 it's not offered by PM. However, if you just alter your name slightly in your self service account. This provides an additional layer of security.

I think this is a great idea in lieu of true port protection. I'll be doing this to both my accounts. We'll see if this ever results in the mods calling me by my new pseudonym in a support ticket. Smiley Very Happy

flyboy320

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Dunkman wrote:

@flyboy320 

Here is the help article on Public mobile response to this issue

Hopefully, PM will come up with something better in the near future. 

Yikes.  I guess I should start leaving my ringer on at night, in case the bad guys work odd hours.

It would be kind of cool if one had to reply to the text with a "Yes" before the port could start, but I guess that technology doesn't exist yet.

flyboy320

Thanks for all the advice on my question. I think it's very important that there is a secure way to block a port request since this just happened to two of my friends last week. Their number was ported out without their authorization and with this the scumbags were able to access their hotmail account and gmail account (through password recovery using a cell number linked to those accounts). From there they accessed their amazon, pc optimum, and facebook accounts and also tried to get into their bank accounts but were unsuccessful at that. They both spent the best part of a weekend trying to sort it all out. In the end they only lost about $200 in fraudulent purchases, and permanently lost their gmail and hotmail email accounts.

@flyboy320 

Here is the help article on Public mobile response to this issue

Hopefully, PM will come up with something better in the near future. 

@gblackma wrote:

To port your number here.  You need 3 things your account number, name, and imea number.

First of all, that would be "IMEI" number. Secondly, I believe the 3 things you need, are phone number to port, name on account, and one of the following: account number, IMEI, or PIN

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@DOA wrote:

Just received this fishing text from "Bell Wireless."  Should I click on the link and claim my refund?

They're busy little beavers.They're busy little beavers.

Wow, they could have at least get a bell number to do this from. C'monScreenshot_20200225-174353~2.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DOA wrote:

Just received this fishing text from "Bell Wireless."  Should I click on the link and claim my refund?

Not with that address! 🙂 Funny.

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

They're busy little beavers.They're busy little beavers.

Its not a very effective system. To port your number here.  You need 3 things your account number, name, and imea number. This is more protection than the message. Hence the tip on slightly changing the name in your self service account .

@flyboy320 wrote:

Typically how long do you have from getting the text notifiying you of the port out, till it's to late to contact a mod, and your number has been ported out?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@flyboy320 wrote:

Typically how long do you have from getting the text notifiying you of the port out, till it's to late to contact a mod, and your number has been ported out?

Yeah. That's the problem. Mod response time is unpredictable.

It should be a final confirmation of letting go the number...send the text and wait for a positive reply. No reply...fail within say 24 hours. Positive reply...done. But that's not yet how things work work. It's just a text alerting you to the port and saying you have to contact them to stop it. But I've not heard of a time frame.

flyboy320

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@flyboy320 it's not offered by PM. However ,  if you just alter your name slightly in your self service account. This provides an additional layer of security. PM does send you a text message if someone attempts to port your number. You then have to contact the mods to stop it.

@flyboy320 wrote:

To help prevent highjacking of cell numbers, the big three offer a port protect where your number cannot be ported out without first talking to you. This helps protect you from someone stealing your cell number and using it to try and gain access to accounts (email, bank, amazon, etc.) that have a password recovery option tied to your cell phone. Can this be done with PM?

Need Help? Let's chat.