cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billed even though I signed up for the free month and free sim card.

DianneFowler
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I signed up for the free sim card and free month of service on the $40 plan during the Flash Sale on Sept 30th at the Walmart in Sarnia on Quinn Road. Well I just received my credit card statement and I was billed $45.20 on Oct 1st by Public Mobile. I am beyond angry. I want to cancel my service with Public Mobile and get a full refund.

21 REPLIES 21

@DianneFowler, Ah, this is unfortunate.  Not sure if you made the forum aware of this fact that it was only for temporary service.  In this case, as you weren't informed correctly at the store by the Walmart agent, and you weren't looking for "next" cycle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DianneFowler wrote:

Yes, the intention was to use it for just one month since I was only visiting Canada for a few weeks.  I'm American.  "Next" means to me, in this case, Oct 1st to Oct 30th.  That is the NEXT 30 days.

Apparently there was a brief period of time that we heard about a store handing out PM SIM's and a free month. But that's the only free lunch I've heard of here.

I agree with the ambiguity of the word but you didn't actually read that when you signed up apparently. You went on what the clerk in the store said. Alas.

So your options are somewhat limited. The terms and conditions do in fact state something about notifying PM that you wish to cancel. Generally that's not needed in a pre-paid environment though as you can just let it lapse. But in your case you have promo value sitting in your Available Funds. Apparently you can have that transferred to a friend or family or something.

Another way to think of it is to simply abandon the account. It'll renew for another month and then go into suspension and then eventually be completely dropped. You could think of it as not real money as you're not *really* out that money. You paid for your lunch as it were.

DianneFowler

Yes, the intention was to use it for just one month since I was only visiting Canada for a few weeks.  I'm American.  "Next" means to me, in this case, Oct 1st to Oct 30th.  That is the NEXT 30 days.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DianneFowler wrote:

So how do I cancel my service with this horrible company?

@DianneFowler you're free to leave at any time.  If you have AutoPay enabled, turn it off in your self-serve account and remove your credit card that's stored on file.  The account will go suspended at the end of your current cycle and will be completely deleted in 90 days.  OR, you can port your number out (while your account is still active--that's very important) to another company and your Public Mobile account will close automatically.

However, you may want to wait a little bit and at least enjoy that free second 30 days that is coming to you.  Do your research on where you want to go next, and initiate the port around 25 or so days into your second cycle here (to allow a few days for any issues, should they come up).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

we are offering a SIM card and your next 30 days for $0 when you activate a 30-day plan in-store at participating retailers! This will be applied as an account credit and the offer is available to new customers only.

How to Get this Offer:

• 30 Days for $0: When you activate a Public Mobile SIM card in-store at a participating retailer on a 30-day plan from September 29 to September 30, 2018, you will get your next 30 days of service for $0!

I looked at that offer wording and I can see how it might lead to ambiguity. Which is why I didn't go there. It all hinges on the definition of "next". Perhaps it should say "following". The rest of the wording explains it fine but that one word...

To the OP...my apologies. You were mis-informed and you lashed out undeservedly at PM. If you choose to stay and renew in 5 days then you won't be paying anything. That's the promo.

Good morning @DianneFowler,

I want to answer your question of "where does it say 2nd month free".

From the original post by Alan_K for the promotion, the following text explains how the promo works:

Hey Community,

Effective September 29, 2018 until September 30, 2018 at 11:59PM ET, we are offering a SIM card and your next 30 days for $0 when you activate a 30-day plan in-store at participating retailers! This will be applied as an account credit and the offer is available to new customers only.

How to Get this Offer:

• 30 Days for $0: When you activate a Public Mobile SIM card in-store at a participating retailer on a 30-day plan from September 29 to September 30, 2018, you will get your next 30 days of service for $0!
    • Participating retailers include:
      • Walmart
      • London Drugs
      • The Mobile Shop
      • WOW! mobile boutique
      • K-Mobile
      • Select Koodo Authorized Dealers
    • The credit value that you will receive will be equal to the price of the rate plan on which you activated your SIM card. This credit will cover the rate plan cost only. It will not cover additional costs such as Add-Ons.
    • Eligible customers will be credited the 30-day rate plan amount within 72 hours. These credits will count towards your next plan renewal.
    • For example, if you sign up on our current $35 for 1 GB at 3G speed, Unlimited Canada-wide Talk and Unlimited International Text 30-day plan, your account will be credited $35 within 72 hours of activating.
    • Eligible customers will receive a confirmation text message shortly after the credit has been applied to your account. These details can also be found by signing in to your Self-Serve account.
    • You will not need to top-up your account at your first renewal date, unless you purchase Add-Ons, change or future-date your plan to a more expensive plan during the first 30 days. Note that, if you have registered for AutoPay, you will continue to receive your $2 AutoPay reward every 30 days. All Reward rules, which can be found at publicmobile.ca/rewardrules, apply.  
  • $0 SIM Card: SIM cards will be $0 when you activate in-store only at participating retailers.

I hope this helps you understand what has happened, and I truly hope you will enjoy your service with Public Mobile.  This is truly the best service I've experienced in the Canadian Wireless landscape.

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Im not trying to be rude to anyone here..but personally when something is offered to me for free, and I'm asked for my credit card info, I read all the details,terms and conditions are always provided..not take someones word for it,not much anymore is 100% free..anyways good day to all..

tbark
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I know that when things like this happen it is very frustrating and I agree some of the responses given from our community did seem rather harsh, but it is true that it is the fault of the people at Walmart for misinforming you and not Public Mobile. The plan pricing you get is unbeatable and because of that this is largely a self-serve service and getting answers can take time, but that is what the community it for. I hope you will look beyond a few of the harsh words and give PM a try at least until the end of the two months so you get your free month in.

Catbaker

Exactly! Don't be mad at Public Mobile for this- be frustrated with the staff at Walmart that misinformed you. 

You will get your next month free so there really is no difference here unless you just wanted to use it for free for 30 days and jump ship?

@DianneFowler wrote:

Where exactly does it say you get the 2nd month free?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/FLASH-SALE-From-September-29-to-30-Get-...

I hope you realize that the person at Walmart does not work for Public Mobile.  I don't even believe they work for Walmart, but rather a large chain of cell phone retail locations.

I know that still doesn't make it right, but really, the most I would expect in your situation would be an appology.   In the end, you do end up still getting a free 30 day period. 

If for examle, Public Mobile was willing to and could fix this, what would you suggest?  The logical thing would be to provide a refund of that $45.20, but then to wipe out that free 30 days of account balance that they should have alredy added to your account.  And if they do that, you'd be owing another 30 days worth of fees anyways in a few days from now.  So, other than needing to pay that $45.20 on the last credit card bill rather than the next, that would be the only difference.

DianneFowler

So how do I cancel my service with this horrible company?

DianneFowler

@Anonymous wrote:

@DianneFowler wrote:

I signed up for the free sim card and free month of service on the $40 plan during the Flash Sale on Sept 30th at the Walmart in Sarnia on Quinn Road. Well I just received my credit card statement and I was billed $45.20 on Oct 1st by Public Mobile. I am beyond angry. I want to cancel my service with Public Mobile and get a full refund.

Did you wonder why you saw $40 in your Available Funds in your self-serve overview page? Or did you just shrug and think ah must be a mistake goody for me...I'll take it.

This is a pre-paid service, there are no refunds.

You have 6 days left of what you've paid for though so you could port out and abandon your $40 and quell your anger that way.

Nasty reply.

Walmart employees said 1st month is free.

DianneFowler

Thank you for your understanding and kindness.  There are some nasty people responding to this question.

DianneFowler

Where exactly does it say you get the 2nd month free?

Sometimes i get that kind of information at the carrier.

DianneFowler

I was told I would not get a bill until Oct 30th and that the first month was free by the Walmart staff .

@DianneFowler wrote:

The first month was never advertised as being free.  Unless someone at the store mistakenly made this promise to you, I can't see what you're asking for happening.  Details of this promotion are listed on this website and they say that you will get the second 30 days for free, and that you need to pay for the first billing cycle.  The charge was correct and Public Mobile's obligation is to provide you for service for the first 30 days, which you have already paid for, and to give you credit for your next 30 days.  After that point, you can then evaluate your options.  As it is now, if you choose not to use the service, you will lose whatever you've already paid and the free 30 day period.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DianneFowler wrote:

Did you wonder why you saw $40 in your Available Funds in your self-serve overview page? Or did you just shrug and think ah must be a mistake goody for me...I'll take it.

This is a pre-paid service, there are no refunds.

You have 6 days left of what you've paid for though so you could port out and abandon your $40 and quell your anger that way.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

If you log into your self-serve account you will find the second month'' payment as balance in the available funds (equal to the cost of the plan you initially signed up with without the taxes. So if you are on the $40 plan before tax (=$45.20 on your cc statement if your HST or PST/GST is 13%) your available funds are $40.

If you gave a friend'' Public Mobile phone number you got an additional $10, if you signed up for auto pay another $2. So you could have $52 in available funds right now, on renewal the plan cost will be taken off that amount.

dumbdobie1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes it is the second month that is free. When I signed up I had to pay the first month up front. I got the credit for the second month in about 72 hours. Hope this helps.

Zoryan

When you sign up for the free month it’s the second month you get credited in your self serve account not the first month free. Also this is a prepaid service so getting a full refund is a bit of a reach, but you can try messaging the mods. Walmart really should have told you about that >< 

Need Help? Let's chat.