cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best option for working in the U.S.

CL_3010
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If I work more than half the month in the U.S, sometimes more or less than 10 days at a time what would be the most cost effective plan? Currently I’m on the $15 unlimited text, 100min Canada-wide Plan then I put on a US roaming bundle ($15 - unlimited text/talk) each time I leave for the US. So typically I end up paying $45/month. 

Is there a smarter way of doing this? Changing plans or which add-ons I buy?

I absolutely don’t need unlimited texting as I’m rarely home in Canada more than a week per month.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

16 REPLIES 16

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Forgot to mention that if one month you don't need to visit you don't need to pay. Your number won't go away. It is kept in your account for one full year. Simply pay for your when needed to resume. That's how it worked when I used the daily service back when PM didn't have roaming. 

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You could go with Roam Mobility for when in US and use their monthly plan for unlimited talk, unlimited text and 1GB LTE data before unlimited 2G Speeds kick in. It's $39.95 for 30 days and it's in Canadian funds so it's cheaper then having to pay more exchange rate. 

It allows you to call Canada as much as you want. Only downside is you can't chose area code for place you visit. It's selected at random by Roam Mobility. When I used it I used to visit Syracuse NY often and I was given a Philadelphia PA area code. 

Screenshot_20190331-154824.png

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@pardnme wrote:

ahhh...i mis understood the plan!

thanks

@pardnme you are pardnd Robot LOLRobot LOLRobot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@CL_3010 wrote:

Thanks so much I’ll check them out!

Alternative is to look into a pay & toss. Wallyworld in US has some inexpensive phones that come with talk/text/data. Good luck.

CL_3010

Thanks so much I’ll check them out!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CL_3010 wrote:

So I just provide my Canadian number/sim with H20 pick a pay as you go plan and I can call/text while I’m in the US? 

No. Nothing to do with any Canadian service. You take out the Public Mobile SIM and put in the other SIM and after signing up for their service you'll have service with them using their SIM.

Edit: In January in Hawaii I saw one in a Target store for all of a buck. You put in money into a pot of money that gets consumed for whatever services you use ie. call, text, data.

CL_3010

So I just provide my Canadian number/sim with H20 pick a pay as you go plan and I can call/text while I’m in the US? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CL_3010 wrote:

Great idea about looking into a US plan I hadn’t thought of that! I could easily do 2 low cost plans (one in each country) that would likely equal less than what I’m paying now. It doesn’t matter what area code I have so that’s not an issue. 

I was sufficiently pleased with a pure pay as you go service called H2O. ymmv

CL_3010

I thought the same thing when I signed up for Public thinking I only needed a Canada/US talk plan. I assumed I didn’t need roaming because I didn’t need data while in the US. I moved to this carrier to get a cheaper plan and now I’m paying more than before!

CL_3010

Great idea about looking into a US plan I hadn’t thought of that! I could easily do 2 low cost plans (one in each country) that would likely equal less than what I’m paying now. It doesn’t matter what area code I have so that’s not an issue. 

pardnme

ahhh...i mis understood the plan!

thanks

@pardnme wrote:

If you are already upto $45 doing it your way, why not switch to the public mobile $50 plan?  It has unlimited talk in NORTH AMERICA.

I don't think that means the data or text will work.  But if your focal point it voice...then I think $50 is a better buy and no need to always log in and buy 10 day add ons

@pardnme 

Public Mobile's plans are all for calling/texting/data usage FROM WITHIN Canada.

@CL_3010is looking for a plan that allows them to call from wherever they are, States or Canada.

It might be worthwhile to check out North America wide plans from US providers. If a Canadian number is important for local contacts, port the number to a VOIP service that can be used on data or WiFi while in the US (and of course, in Canada too - just make sure that your US provider allows the amount of data roaming in Canada that you intend to do.)

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@pardnme wrote:

If you are already upto $45 doing it your way, why not switch to the public mobile $50 plan?  It has unlimited talk in NORTH AMERICA.

I don't think that means the data or text will work.  But if your focal point it voice...then I think $50 is a better buy and no need to always log in and buy 10 day add ons

@pardnme 

All plans only include callsthat originate in canada ..so us roaming addons are still needed....

pardnme

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@CL_3010 

Cheapest canada plan is 10 a month..50 min 50 texts...look it up to clarify...for roaming no deals there...justswhats offered and fits your needs..

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@CL_3010 , given the amount of time spent in the US, this service would be rather tricky to use effectively.  The add-ons all have a 10 day duration.  Trying to seamlessly pair the same add-on back to back is virtually impossible as the first has to expire before the next can be purchased.  I would suggest looking for local options.  Roaming is more about convenience than best price or best features.

Need Help? Let's chat.