cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefit of having Canada Wide calling on PM

ruif71
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I was on Telus I used to get tons of US spam calls eating away at my plan and minutes.

Now on Canada Wide Calling on PM I no longer have to worry about US Spam calls.

20 REPLIES 20

wickedgx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Wow, this sounds terrible. Who would do such a thing!? or you just subscribed to too much garbage

@EdmondY wrote:

Wouldn't blocking the call result in using a minute of airtime as it should be considered a completed call?  If I let it ring and the call never completes, Public Mobile doesn't bill me for it. 

But it's still annoying because I have to let it ring and also sometimes the number looks close enough for something I should pick up on, as some spammers now use local numbers to do their thing...

Spam calls can happen no matter which plan you are on.  It's just that $10 plan only includes a small amount of minutes.

Not long ago, someone said that unanswered calls were deducting minutes on the $10 plan.  Lieux and I both test this on $10 plans and it didn't.

As for someone being sent to your voicemail, that doesn't use any of your airtime.  If you dial into your voicemail from your cell phone to listen to your messages, that airtime will be deducted from your 50 mintues.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@EdmondY wrote:

Wouldn't blocking the call result in using a minute of airtime as it should be considered a completed call?  If I let it ring and the call never completes, Public Mobile doesn't bill me for it. 

But it's still annoying because I have to let it ring and also sometimes the number looks close enough for something I should pick up on, as some spammers now use local numbers to do their thing...

Yes that first time is going to use that minute because you answered it. Put it into a block contact and ignore it thereafter. They call again, and they will, it'll just ignore the call and drop to voicemail. Leaving messages don't cost minutes.

For my old BB OS10 phone, I will still see it ringing if I can see the screen but it's not making a sound and it says the block contact name so I ignore it anyway.

EdmondY
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Not sure then, I'm using a Iphone if that matters.  I'll have to give it a try if I get too annoyed with it but until then, I'll see...

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@EdmondY, I am not sure if PM charges it or not. But I have a phone plan with Speakout that won't count the blocked calls. I have eight blocked calls since I switched to Speakout.

EdmondY

Unfortunately, everytime it's a unique number that calls me so doing so won't help.  I typically don't pick up unknown calls unless I'm expecting one but sometimes I guess wrong too so it gets annoying..

EdmondY

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@EdmondY wrote:

I'm actually quite annoyed lately with the gradual increase of spam calls that I'm getting on my line.  I'm on the $10 plan so it doesn't help at all...  😞

@EdmondY, have you ever tried to block the spam calls?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@EdmondY wrote:

I'm actually quite annoyed lately with the gradual increase of spam calls that I'm getting on my line.  I'm on the $10 plan so it doesn't help at all...  😞

Create a contact. Set it's notification settings to not ring where it eventually drops to voicemail. Voicemail doesn't take minutes and you get to ignore the call. I have over 40 numbers now over a few years of adding numbers to ignore. A new one comes in, I answer it (as I am wont to do) it's a junk call, add to contact...never again. Yes...a hit on the minutes for that answer.

EdmondY

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Weellll....except it's 50 minutes not 59 🙂

@Anonymous I prefer the 59 min plan.  😉  

I didn't call it out because obviously it's a typo until you did your big up arrow this attention grabbing thing. 🙂

@Anonymous,  I'm just kidding about these bonus plans.  They don't exist.

Don't stub your toe on that party line. Uh huh sure yeah right  🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't call it out because obviously it's a typo until you did your big up arrow this attention grabbing thing. 🙂

@Anonymous,  I'm just kidding about these bonus plans.  They don't exist.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren

It's too bad that you're no longer eligible for these usage bonuses.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@mimmo wrote:

Even on provincial calling you do not need to worry. As all incoming calls are unlimited unless you are on the 10$ 59 minute plan.

mimno, no one is supposed to know about the usage bonuses

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

Even on provincial calling you do not need to worry. As all incoming calls are unlimited unless you are on the 10$ 59 minute plan.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this.

srlawren

@mimmo wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@ruif71 wrote:

When I was on Telus I used to get tons of US spam calls eating away at my plan and minutes.

Now on Canada Wide Calling on PM I no longer have to worry about US Spam calls.

I'm not sure what you mean by this because it doesn't matter where a call comes from.  You just as easy still receive this spam calls on a Canada-wide plan.  You not being charged or running out of minutes probably has more to do with having unlimited airtime.

mimmo

Even on provincial calling you do not need to worry. As all incoming calls are unlimited unless you are on the 10$ 50 minute plan.

Edit changed typo from 59 to 50

Need Help? Let's chat.