cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been charged for the past 6 months but only used it for one

mcinabox
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all,

I was travelling in Canada in July/August 2018 and I purchased a public mobile prepay SIM to use while I was there. Unfortunately I didn't see that the "auto topup" was automatically selected and I've just noticed that I've been charged for the past 6 months even though my account has been inactive. Is there any way I can get this money back? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10

Anolam01
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

send message to Moderator_Team

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@mcinabox wrote:

Hi all,

I was travelling in Canada in July/August 2018 and I purchased a public mobile prepay SIM to use while I was there. Unfortunately I didn't see that the "auto topup" was automatically selected and I've just noticed that I've been charged for the past 6 months even though my account has been inactive. Is there any way I can get this money back? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A quick scan of your usage history can prove you have not been using your account. Keep this in mind when you contact them.

If either response to your particular request leads to the resolution of your issue , please help other community members by marking that post as the solution. Thank You

@Jessica_T  I would be pretty upset myself if I paid for something and unknowingly they continued to charge me, but I do suggest to contact the mods first as when you set up autopay it does give you a fair warning, its not like someone stole my credit card and put a bunch of mysterious charges.

@Jessica_T wrote:

@mcinabox 

I purchased a 1 month phone plan while traveling. For some reason they kept charging me months after I stopped using it. I contacted my credit card company and said "I dispute the charges" and explained exactly what happened. I did not know they were going to keep charging me, if I had I would not have agreed. The charges were removed a few days later and I never heard about it again.

@Jessica_T  That probably would work but I suggest to wait at least until the moderator team has had a chance to correct this. They may refund all of their money if it was an honest mistake, not properly communicated by public mobile. Doing chargebacks isin't the best idea when you can avoid it.

Jessica_T
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mcinabox 

I purchased a 1 month phone plan while traveling. For some reason they kept charging me months after I stopped using it. I contacted my credit card company and said "I dispute the charges" and explained exactly what happened. I did not know they were going to keep charging me, if I had I would not have agreed. The charges were removed a few days later and I never heard about it again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mcinabox 

Take a screenshot of the autopay having already been set up. Otherwise they might say...what autopay 🙂

Then I suggest removing autopay now and maybe even put the service into lost/stolen status so as to stop any further payments.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@mcinabox, as far as the carrier is concerned, if regular payments were going through, the account is active.  Whether the customer chooses to use it or not is a different matter.  It could be a tough proposition asking for a refund that dates back 6 months.  I suppose it doesn't hurt to try. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mcinabox wrote:

Hi all,

But it wasn't inactive from their perspective. Sucks I know. Hopefully they can make it right for you. If you can prove that you're no longer in Canada therefor having no ability to use the service anyway then maybe they can refund your money.

@mcinabox wrote:

Hi all,

The only way that might happen will be if you contact Public Mobile customer service/moderators.  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

However, from Public Mobile's point of view, they would consider the charges authorized and legitimate as Autopay was turned on.  Good luck.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@mcinabox wrote:

Hi all,

@mcinaboxAs this is a pre-paid service there is no guarantee you will receive a refund. You will have to contact the moderator team directly to set that up, they are usually pretty nice, typically moderators do not peruse here on the forum (You are talking with other customers) they are busy answering private messages  Click this to send them a message

Need Help? Let's chat.