cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad signal in basement

Gaf
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all, I've been with PM for almost 2 months now and it's been great except that I get a lot of people telling me they cant hear me and dropped calls when I'm in my basement.  I never had this problem with Roger's which is who I had before.  Is there anything I can do about it?  Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

@will13am wrote:

@Gaf , take a look at the cell map and see which carrier has the best coverage for your location.  Basements can be tricky.  I don't get a strong signal with any of the major brands but enough to hold a call.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Keeping that in mind, an LTE-only cell site will not help with voice coverage at Public Mobile. Also, even if this site lists band 2 and band 5, once again, that could be for LTE. Phone calls require HSPA network coverage to work.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Gaf , take a look at the cell map and see which carrier has the best coverage for your location.  Basements can be tricky.  I don't get a strong signal with any of the major brands but enough to hold a call.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Gaf 

3g seems to work better for me, no problem when I’m in the basement.

@Gaf 

Manually switching your network to 3g will not help with dropped calls or with people not being able to hear you. All phone calls are already on the 3g network.

It is possible that doing that will make it so that less calls will go directly to voicemail if the phone has difficulty switching over to the 3g network in time for an incoming call, but that isn't the issue that you had asked about.

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Dunkman wrote:

@Gaf 

Some areas....  Rogers works better

Don't I know it! 👍

BearFBI

@Gaf You may have 3 bars but make sure calls work. Public Mobile uses 3G for calls and you said they had problems hearing you ? By switching to 3G you did nothing to solve the call issue. 3G is also slower for data speeds. Your basement doesn't get good cell coverage by Bell or Telus. I suggest buying a cell antenna booster.

Good to hear...and thanks for the advise in case that issue comes up again.

Gaf

@hairbag1 @BearFBI 

Well I read that switching my mobile network to 3g could help.  So I tried it and low and behold I now have 3 bars instead of 1.  Thanks guys

@Gaf...if you try the sim in a different phone and get same service...chances are you're in a "fringe" area of service. You could try an external antenna. antenna booster I meant.  (Thanks @BearFBI  )

If service improves with different phone...chances are your phone is the reason for choppy service.

BearFBI

@Gaf Different carriers use different frequencies. Some phones don't support these frequencies. You have a Galaxy s8 so your phone dosent seem to be a problem. Galaxy s8's support a wide range of frequencies to work with all carriers in North America.

My guess is that your basement is a spotty zone.

Gaf

@Dunkman 

I have the Samsung Galaxy a8.  What do you mean band frequencies?

BearFBI

@Gaf Its either your phone or the network. The Rogers network and Bell/Telus are way different. Rogers has different towers than Bell/Telus. Where I'm located Bell's network is far better than Rogers. If it ends up being the network then I suggest buying a cell signal booster. 

Since Public Mobile uses Telus and Telus shares towers with Bell, Can you try using someone's phone with either a Bell or Telus carrier in the basement. Try to see if they get the problem.

It might also be the phone. Try to move your SIM to another phone and see if its just a phone problem.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Gaf...try your sim in a different phone to see if that makes any difference.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Gaf 

Some areas....  Rogers works better while others.  Telus. 

which model phone do you have?  Sometimes a newer phone have more of the band frequencies that offer better reception. 

Need Help? Let's chat.