cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad reception

Nicolexen
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I live in Montreal and am having bad reception in my house, often no bars at all. I sent a private message on Friday but haven't gotten a reply.

Any suggestions on what I can do?

Thx 

28 REPLIES 28

Nicolexen

I'm waiting to hear back from tech support (but everything takes a few days here at PM). The problem is the network, not my phone. My phone works fine on Fido and Chatr.

alabon

Theoretically, maybe you can set it to auto, but in certain circumstances of bad reception (frequently indeed), putting it manually to 3G-only gives better results according to my experience. Why, I don't know, but that works better. In good (normal) transmission areas (both 3G and LTE), auto gives good results, of course.

LTE

Your Samsung Galaxy S7 is the current Software update.  
Radio Base Rom in your Android sometime may have Bugs if not updated. 

Was you Samsung S7 Drop or Damages ??
Was it Bought From Rogers ?

Each Service Provider programs Samsung Galaxy S 1 to 9 Andriod radio BaseRom. 

Nicolexen

Thx, my phone is always on automatic.  I wish the public moderator would answer my messages.... I think I'm going to have to switch supppliers

@alabon, there is no difference between 2G/3G mode and 3G only mode on a phone on Public Mobile's network.

Also, LTE can be stronger than 3G. It really depends on the specific location. Best option is to always set the phone to auto and let the network decide what is best based on actual signal conditions.

alabon

One thing I forgot. You say your telephone works when youhave a signal. But it may be also that it is set to accept 2G as a minimum. To be sure, please set your phone to 3G as a minimum (3G/LTE). 3G-only as a setting may also help as LTE's signal is not as strong, and if it keeps trying on LTE, you may have a bad signal in certain arreas, where 3G would work fine.

Yes they do. Send me the coordinates of the tower's actual and mistaken locations. You can send me a private message if you don't want to share it publicly.

dmbcanada
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@sheytoonLondon, ON.   Does PM also use Bell? 

@dmbcanada, what city are you in? I may be able to get that corrected.

dmbcanada

@sheytoon wrote:

@Nicolexen, unfortunately you're out of luck.

There's only 2 RAN owners (i.e. "towers") in Montreal: Rogers/Videotron and Telus.

I would suggest you go back to Rogers/Fido/Chatr/Videotron. They all share the same towers in your area.

Staying with Telus, Koodo, PM, Bell, Virgin, Lucky will have the same coverage as now.

You can find the nearest site to your home here:

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

I actually find the Canadian Celluar Towers Map to be inacturate for my area as the Telus tower near my house that I get my PM signal from is not even listed.

Thanks @stonechucker, very kind of you!

@dmbcanada, I believe @sheytoon‘s Statement was about the number of owners, who have towers in Montreal, and not the quantity of towers there.

sheyton is an expert in the field as we have come to know, and his statements are considered by myself and I’m sure others as a gold standard and bang on.

dmbcanada

Montreal has more than two towers, I would suggest you download this app it will show what tower you are using and the signal levels you are getting.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite&hl=en_CA

@Nicolexen, unfortunately you're out of luck.

There's only 2 RAN owners (i.e. "towers") in Montreal: Rogers/Videotron and Telus.

I would suggest you go back to Rogers/Fido/Chatr/Videotron. They all share the same towers in your area.

Staying with Telus, Koodo, PM, Bell, Virgin, Lucky will have the same coverage as now.

You can find the nearest site to your home here:

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

_parth23

You can try one thing, once you go inside your house try toggle airplane mode on and leave it on for a minute and then turn it off and see if it makes a difference, because it made a diffrence when I was having a similar problem. You might get more bars for reception, let me know if this helps.

Nicolexen

I can make calls when I have a signal. It's just I have a very bad signal now in my house , people have trouble hearing me and I get dropped calls. It wasn't an issue with Chatr. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Nicolexen wrote:

Chatr which uses Rogers

Rogers network supports GSM(2G), 3G, 4G, LTE.

But Telus does not supports GSM(2G) and PM supports only 3G and LTE

If your phone is configured using GSM(2G) only, this may explain why you do not get any PM signal and cannot make any call.

Which phone are your using?

alabon

Was it set to 2G, 3G and LTE before, and is it set the same now ?

Modes change the range of transmission and therefore can create bad reception when another mode would be OK. Try 3G, which is the minimum (at least where I live).

Nicolexen

Chatr which uses Rogers

popping

@Nicolexen

Who is your mobile provider before switching to PM?

PM service is on Bell/Telus cell tower.

Nicolexen

There is often no signal, which means I can't make or receive calls

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Have you had trouble making calls and receiving calls? Or is this the signal indicator on your phone?

mimmo

Who was your old provider? Bell,Telus, koodo ,virgin, pm and lucky should all have the same signal strength.

dmbcanada

Could be a bad sim card, or you are in a low coverage area.    

Nicolexen

Reception is ok outside of home @dmbcanada

Nicolexen

Since I switched to PM over 2 weeks ago. I did not have issues with my previous provider (same phone). I tried a factory reset on my phone and that did not help.

dmbcanada

@Nicolexen  how long have you been having bad reception?   Is it just in the basement?  What is your reception outside of your home?     

Murco
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Tip 1: Keep your phone charged up. A low battery can negatively impact your phone’s ability to get and hang onto a signal.

Tip 2: If there’s a case on your phone, take it off and test to see if your reception is better without it. Sometimes a case partially blocks cell signals from reaching your phone’s internal antenna.

Need Help? Let's chat.