cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUCKET O' DATA

bnaugler24
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

Can/would/should Public Mobile offer more variety of data addons so that it is possible to be a bit more of a user.  i'm willing to pay for the extra data but it must be at a reasonable rate.  i know all companies have to make their money somewhere but it seems wacked out sort of when thinking of the 1 gb 30 dollar data addon because it is possible to get a excellent 30 dollar plan from public mobile for thirty-ish dollars that includes the regular components.  it just seems mathematically impossible for it to cost that much money when you consider  a 200mb addon is 10 dollars.  maybe some people can suggest a price point that is more friendly but perhaps data is expensive  and valuable and we need to let some time pass before the price comes down.  what do you think should be done?  it would also be nice if we could buy buckets of data in the muliple gigbytes so that we can conduct our busy lives on the road and and while mobile.  perhaps 2 gb for 45...even that is not much of a break on the regular rate.  i know there are people that use oodles of data and they are going to buy it no matter what happens so i i belie Public Mobile could consider making bulk addon purchases more favorable and it would be easier to conduct business and entertain ourselves for less.

thanks,

6 REPLIES 6

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

So if you buy a 1GB add-on to get you to your next renewal, anything unused from that 1GB once your plan renews (and you switch back to using plan data) is retained until needed again. 

@srlawren 

ONLY because you like to help people in their specific wordings in their posts... 🙂

(and you switch back to using plan data) -> (and it switches back to using plan data)

I know...royal you ...but hey...be clear 🙂

@Anonymous feedback is always appreciated 🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

So if you buy a 1GB add-on to get you to your next renewal, anything unused from that 1GB once your plan renews (and you switch back to using plan data) is retained until needed again. 

@srlawren 

ONLY because you like to help people in their specific wordings in their posts... 🙂

(and you switch back to using plan data) -> (and it switches back to using plan data)

I know...royal you ...but hey...be clear 🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bnaugler24 compared to the $70-100 per GB that the 2nd and 3rd tier providers charge for data overages, PM's is positively a steal at $30/GB (when purchased via 1GB add-on(s)) or $50/GB (when purchased via 100MB add-on(s)).  One thing that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread is that add-on data never expires also.  So if you buy a 1GB add-on to get you to your next renewal, anything unused from that 1GB once your plan renews (and it swtitches back to using plan data) is retained until needed again.  This does add some value vs. what some of the other 3rd tier providers do, where data add-ons are cheaper but expire at the end of your plan cycle as well.

But at the end of the day, as @wetcoaster noted, your best bet is to pick a plan that includes enough data to handle your typical usage patterns as best as possible, since plan data is generally less expensive.  And as @will13am noted, you're welcome to wish for or suggest anything you like, but based on 3.5 years of experience here in the community, I can pretty safely say "do not hold your breath" while waiting for this type of change.  You will be strongly disappointed (and very blue) if you do.

EDIT: small correction as per @Anonymous  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am wrote:

I haven't had a chance to say this in quite a while.  Get this service for what it is, not what you wish it to be.  This is Canada, home of high cellular rates and minial choice. Public Mobile is not responsive to customer requests for new offerings.  

I have a bit of a problem with the "this is Canada trope". My last three plans for my main phone (which is not my PM one) have been 4.5GB/$47 (450 daytime minutes). 10GB for $37 (unlimited/unlimited), and now 8GB with 1GB included US roaming for under $40. All LTE data. That's better than anything Verizon or AT&T offer in the US. Much more difficult to find value for light use phones (like my PM one) than it is for a primary/work phone. There are deals to be had that are every bit as competitive as anything in other countries, the difference is that you just have to look for them.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@bnaugler24 wrote:

Hello,

Can/would/should Public Mobile offer more variety of data addons so that it is possible to be a bit more of a user.  i'm willing to pay for the extra data but it must be at a reasonable rate.  i know all companies have to make their money somewhere but it seems wacked out sort of when thinking of the 1 gb 30 dollar data addon because it is possible to get a excellent 30 dollar plan from public mobile for thirty-ish dollars that includes the regular components.  it just seems mathematically impossible for it to cost that much money when you consider  a 200mb addon is 10 dollars.  maybe some people can suggest a price point that is more friendly but perhaps data is expensive  and valuable and we need to let some time pass before the price comes down.  what do you think should be done?  it would also be nice if we could buy buckets of data in the muliple gigbytes so that we can conduct our busy lives on the road and and while mobile.  perhaps 2 gb for 45...even that is not much of a break on the regular rate.  i know there are people that use oodles of data and they are going to buy it no matter what happens so i i belie Public Mobile could consider making bulk addon purchases more favorable and it would be easier to conduct business and entertain ourselves for less.

thanks,

If you use up your data add-on frequently, you are on the wrong base plan. If 8.5 GB (the base plan with the biggest data bucket at Public Mobile) is not enough (again, on a regular basis) you might want to check out the second and first tier providers (or even the competition that throttles data to snail speed after you've reached your limit?) - more data will come at a hefty price tag, though.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I haven't had a chance to say this in quite a while.  Get this service for what it is, not what you wish it to be.  This is Canada, home of high cellular rates and minial choice. Public Mobile is not responsive to customer requests for new offerings.  

Need Help? Let's chat.