cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awesome Activation Experience

Mikey
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello!

I just wanted to let the community know that I completed a new activation with Public Mobile this evening, including a number port from Telus, and it couldn't have gone more smoothly!

I simply followed through the getting started pages, provided all three pieces of information for my Telus # (old acct #, IMEI, PIN), and when the final page completed processing, I immediately received a "We're sorry to see you go" email from Telus (even before I received verification emails from Public Mobile). I figured this was a good sign as it probably meant automation for the # port was proceeding.

Within 10 minutes my # was active with Public Mobile for both outbound and inbound voice and text. I had read the FAQ the previous week, and ensured I had changed my email for my Telus account to a junk mail account so there was no conflict with the email I intended to use with Public Mobile.

The only criticism I have (and it's a small one) is that the Public Mobile self serve site was very slow. I think this could have something to do with the recent maintenance. 

Overall, I'm very happy with the process. We'll see now how well the auto billing works in 90 days time.

Thanks PM!

36 REPLIES 36

@Chrstphr wrote:

My main question is if there is LTE on the network.  I have an Iphone 5 which doesn't support 4G it seems, so I'm limited to 3G if there is no LTE network.

Also, I tried signing up for "my account" to get things started but I need a number first, how can I do that if I'm porting my number over and don't have a PM number?

Yes, there is LTE, and yes your iPhone 5 does support LTE on the frequency that Telus uses. 4G and LTE are the same thing, so this means you will have 4G working on your iPhone 5.

And yes, you can only sign up for a self-serve "My Account if you have a PM number. But you don't need if otherwise anyway - it's only used for managing your account (making payments, changing your plan, changing your phone number, checking your usage, etc.).

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Also, I recommend ordering an extra sim just incase of any problems, you can always give it to a family member or friend if you don't need it.

Rockdaddy22
Yes excellent LTE

Chrstphr

Thanks for the info @7789849803!

At the beginning of November I switched from Bell to Wind and the port went through quickly.  So I have faith it would be okay switching again.  Even with the problems, I'd put up with it to get away from Wind.

My main question is if there is LTE on the network.  I have an Iphone 5 which doesn't support 4G it seems, so I'm limited to 3G if there is no LTE network.

Also, I tried signing up for "my account" to get things started but I need a number first, how can I do that if I'm porting my number over and don't have a PM number?

I've ordered my PM SIM so should be coming soon I think.  I saw an ad on instagram for the giveaway going on right now.  That's how I heard of PM, had never heard anything about them before.

GeekusMaximus
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Within Canada.

@GeekusMaximus Were you getting these when trying to send a text message, or just everytime you turned on the phone?

If you were trying to send a text message, was it to a number outside of Canada?

GeekusMaximus

To quote: "Public Mobile here. Sorry, we do not offer text messaging outside of Canada"

I thought it had to do with the fact that I didn't have the APN settings set up, but when I got those in, it still didn't want to work.

I haven't really tested it out since but I'll give it a shot in the morning.

@GeekusMaximus You received messages saying you weren't in the country?? That's intriguing. Would you mind typing out the exact text you received, word for word?

GeekusMaximus

It took my phone about three hours to be properly functional. Until then, I got messages saying that I wasn't in the country, but they seem to have ceased.

@Chrstphr The PM service is still in beta, and as such there are still some kinks to be worked out. Most people tend to have no problem activating their SIM and porting the number over right away. But for some, the process can hit a hurdle and require PM support's manual intervention - which can take multiple days.

Given your need for minimal downtime, you've now been warned 🙂

Here's the link to the "Getting Started" section of this community: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/bd-p/getting_started

In general, I would highly recommend switching to PM despite all the glitches some customers face from time to time.

Do you already have your new PM SIM?

Where did you first hear about PM?

Chrstphr

Hi, 

You mentioned you went through the getting started pages to make sure everything went smoothly.  Can anyone let me know where to find those pages?  I checked the getting started link at the top and it only has information about checking to see if my phone is compatible.

What I'm looking to do is switch with my phone from Wind to PM.  It seems like your phone wasn't out of commision for too long?  I use my phone for work so I'm hoping to keep downtime to a minimum.

Rockdaddy22
Great to hear, welcome to the family 🙂

rnasiri

ported my number from Virgin Mobile about two weeks ago and the entire process took less than 1 hour. everything is working perfectly so far and happy with the service

@emiegail I would highly recommend sending PM support an email right away, since it takes them a day or two to respond. Simply click on Contact Us at the bottom of this page, and then click on SIM & Activation -> I activated my phone and SIM card more than 24 hours ago -> I did receive an error message -> Email Us. Then answer as many of the questions as you can. You can enter your existing phone number and a made-up PIN to make it easy to submit the form.

emiegail

Thanks for your answer. I will try with an other web browser. I tryed with Opera (on my mac) and googlechrome (with the mac of a friend) and with my amazon tablet. So, I'll try on a PC ... 

For PM support, maybe I'm not using the right way because when I tryed, I needed to enter a PM phone number. And I don't have it yet ! 

@emiegail It should be populating the list of available phone numbers right above the "Retour" button in the screenshot. Please try using a different web browser to see if it works okay on that.

Ordering a new SIM will not help because there's nothing with the SIM# that would cause this problem.

If you're still unable to fix the problem using a different web browser, please email PM support right away without further delay. It may take them upto 48 hours to respond, so the sooner you email them, the sooner they will be able to resolve your problem.

emiegail

Hi ! This is the problem: I put random numbers for the picture. But I tried all the numbers that I know (including my own number, the number of my parents and the number of my sister) before and I recieved the same answer. Is it a problem with Vidoetron ?  Do they have a number that has to match with the one that I have to put ? I feel like I try to make sens where there is any sens ! 

I also tryed to open a new number. And, I know that you can't see it on the picture but I can't clic on the case to choose an option. I just can do nothing. 

Should I order a new SIM card ? Or it will do nothing different ? 

public1.jpgpublic2.jpg

@emiegail Please send a screenshot or copy-paste the exact error message you are seeing, so we can be of further assistance.

Alternatively, you may directly email PM support for assistance by clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. They are the ultimate source of assistance for account-related problems, however if you provide us more specific information about the problem you are facing, we may be able to offer other tips as well.

emiegail

Hi, I don't understand why but I can't activate my phone. I'm stocked to "Phone number" on the public mobile online activation. 

Rockdaddy22
@LovingTeddy
That's awesome news

LovingTeddy
I am also surprised on how fast Public Mobile portig my number. I have been with Telus for 4 years and getting tried of their expensive plans. Agent testing Public Mobile for 3 months, I finally decided to pull the plug, ported my number to Public Mobile. Within half minutes, my number was ported.

PM can certainly use more nifty and creative tools, apps, options to keep going than the Energizer Bunny 

terrilin

Happy to hear another positive porting experience  @Mikey. I ported mine over from Fido couple months ago, and the process was pretty smooth too. I did spend quite some time reading postings on this community before I took action, just so I know how to find help if it didn't turn out. So far I'm pretty happy about the plan & reception (to me, PM has better reception than Fido at some point...). There's still a lot PM can do and improve, and I think it's interesting to see its growth with this community. 

Anyways, welcome! Robot Very Happy

djtouchette

I dont know how it is with Kudoo but with rogers I could keep my account open with no services(wasn't paying anything monthly) to keep my number. Maybe check if this is an option?

Once again, @zmh1175, I will have to ask you to refrain from posting about the same issue in 3 or more threads. This is very confusing for those trying to help you. And it is considered spamming if you talk about the same issue more than once.

And once again, I'll give you the same advice I gave you several days ago when you were seeking help with a related issue. Since you have been in touch with @Jeremy_M about this issue already, please feel free to contact him directly by private message. To state the bleedingly obvious: He will not be able to help you resolve your issue(s) unless you contact him for assistance with a full description of your exact range of problems.

zmh1175
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

When I tried to port in number from koodo. the website says "for koodo and telus owner you need to choose the new number then contact pm for port in". After I done everything then I contact PM to port in the number, after 3 days waiting and I still got nothing. Then I have to use the new number and cancel the telus account I cant just keep both account open.

tylejami335

Welcome to Public Mobile!

Get ready for dependable, cheap and efficent service!

- TJ **Please give this response a bravo ❤️ .**

TroyDaBes
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Welcome! I was very worried when I did the activation. I was everywhere on the community asking about I don't know because I want to make the porting to be smooth as possible. Luckily, it was really smooth. Activated my account without any hassle and ported my within 10 minutes. So, far, I can at least say that I'm very happy with PM service. Never had any problem with signal or anything. I'm pretty sure you will enjoy your stay here 😄

Rockdaddy22
Awesome news, welcome 🙂

Daniel
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Thank for sharing you experience @Mikey.

It's alsways fun to have positive feedback!

Need Help? Let's chat.